inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

Edited By inferiorego  Staff

The Good

We're three issues into this new series, and it does provide a bit of fun. There's a lot of great fight scenes here between characters, and the art of Ed McGuinness provides a ton of fun, along with the fabulous inks of Dexter Vines and the colors of Marte Gracia. This book is all eye candy for the readers. The fight scenes are fantastic and Beast looks great travelling through the air. Vines really does a phenomenal job with inks though. Everything not only fits well with the pencils, but it looks very natural. This is one of the few times, that I can remember, where the inks have wowed me.

This issue explores a bit into the past between Storm and Nightcrawler in a flashback. These two had a strong connection, years ago, so it's nice to see writer Jason Aaron giving us a moment from their past, instead of glossing over it.

I really loved the final page of this issue as we see a fully feral beast coming face to face with Nightcrawler. It's going to lead to a pretty exciting battle in the next issue, and I can't think of a time we've seen Beast look this crazy, which really makes you wonder if Hank is even in their anymore or if it's just the feral monster we see in front of us.

The Bad

While the book is fun, it's a bit silly. I like these characters, I like seeing them interact with each other, and I normally really enjoy Jason Aaron's writing, but the tone of the book is incredibly goofy. Battling pirates in the afterlife really isn't working for me here. Maybe I don't know enough about Azazel, aside from the fact he's Nightcrawler's father. Nightcrawler is a fan favorite character and having him come back is a huge deal, but it feels like it's taken so lightly, and that's what throws this whole book off for me.

Part of this is also on McGuinness who has a bit more of a cartoonish drawing style. It takes away from the seriousness of the matter, in which Azazel is trying to take over Hell. He wants to become the ruler of all that is evil. It really comes down to that Aaron and McGuinness are great on their own but do not mesh well together.

The Verdict

AMAZING X-MEN #3 is a bit of fun, but it doesn't really do much else. There's some cool things happening here, but overall, it's a bit of a let down because it feels so silly. Aaron and McGuinness don't mesh to well as a team, with this story. Maybe it's because I am a big Nightcrawler fan and expect something a bit more serious and down to Earth for his return. While this book looks great, it's just ok. Nothing more, nothing less.

Aeron_Glyndwr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Aeron_Glyndwr

Yeah....this book isn't really holding my attention anymore. The best part of this issue for me were the scenes between Nightcrawler and Storm, and that bit at the end. I could leave everything else. I think it'll probably read better in a collected edition after the first five issue arc is over but as of now it's not really doing it for me.

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

has there ever been a thing between Nightcrawler and Storm before? Are they really going to have a love triangle between Wolverine, Nightcrawler, and Storm?

Doombert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Fight scene with Beast is fun. I love him, and he doesnt get very much action in comics anymore, wich is sad, he can have some great dialoge in a fight.

While the over the top cartoony feel to the book may be...upsetting...to some, I enjoy it. It's my Yin to Uncanny Avengers Yang.

x_29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

Superhero comics are normally goofy, so I do not see why that is an issue with this. Also, you wanna know a x-title that doesn't do much else: All New X-men.

LiveForever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By LiveForever

@x_29 said:

Superhero comics are normally goofy, so I do not see why that is an issue with this. Also, you wanna know a x-title that doesn't do much else: All New X-men.

It's all personal taste. I happen to agree entirely with @inferiorego here. I'm not big on "silly" comics. I see a bit more substance in ANXM. It's why Slott doesn't appeal much to me, and why most of Jason Aaron's X-Men stuff doesn't appeal to me.

Love Ed McGuinness's art, but that's all there is here for me.

tximinoman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

has there ever been a thing between Nightcrawler and Storm before? Are they really going to have a love triangle between Wolverine, Nightcrawler, and Storm?

As far as I know they never had a 'thing' but they flirt every now and then. Kurt was always a charming guy and Storm has always been pretty sexual.

But if you want two specific examples you have one in Uncanny X-Men 102 (I think it was that issue) from 1976 and in 2004's Uncanny X-Men 445. Both were written by Claremont and the second one was sort of a homage he gave to himself.

Avatar image for deactivated-611928878d365
    deactivated-611928878d365

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Beast fighting Azazel on a ship. Have I seen that before?

x_29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

@x_29 said:

It's all personal taste. I happen to agree entirely with @inferiorego here. I'm not big on "silly" comics. I see a bit more substance in ANXM. It's why Slott doesn't appeal much to me, and why most of Jason Aaron's X-Men stuff doesn't appeal to me.

Love Ed McGuinness's art, but that's all there is here for me.

Thats fair. While I am not crazy about the book, ANXM always has excellent artwork and coloring.

Avatar image for spacemanspiff85
    spacemanspiff85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I love the art, and I'm thrilled Nightcrawler's back, but I'd like a little more explanation as to what's going on, especially three issues in. If all it takes to overthrow both God and the devil is pirate ships, guns, and swords, that doesn't seem like too much. I'll be really disappointed, though, if this arc ends without anymore explanation of the bamfs.

PeppeyHare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

I don't have any problem with "silly" comics. Really enjoying this series

lykopis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loved Storm's reaction, loved seeing Nightcrawler doing what he does best and the art is spot on. Has an 80's feel to the book, which probably translates into something silly but I am okay with that.

Then again, I am a huge Nightcrawler fan. The environment he's in at the moment is pure Kurt.

Avatar image for wavemotioncannon
    WaveMotionCannon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I love this book. The moment between Kurt and Storm was heartwarming , Beast got a chance to shine and the art is AWESOME! I love EdEx.

Btw. Did anyone else peep the Pirate looking just like Grifter and the Bat symbol on the ship that ran into the ship Storm and Kurt were on??

iceslick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 83

@inferiorego: You do not definitely feel alone in this book. I am a big Nightcrawler fan and ever since I have jumped into this series, I haven't been liking it. The goofying has just been killing me and I'm very close to just wanting drop completely even despite of it having my number 1 favorite character since childhood. The Beast and Azazel goofyness dragged on a little too long and I felt like I was watching a tired old sitcom with corny jokes. I also felt a little off about Storm and Nightcrawler in love all of sudden. I thought Storm was with Wolverine? Or is that just a fling? The only appeal I had was the art, colors and action. It's what keeping me to hold on to this series.

owie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#16 owie  Moderator

I agree with the review. It's good to have Nightcrawler back but I'd rather have the book be about him than all this other random stuff. It seems like the story is being dragged out. For that matter I am also glad to have Firestar in a book and she's not here. If Nightcrawler is getting his own series after this, I can't imagine staying on this book, it seems unnecessary when considering all the other X-books. For that matter, All-New X-Men is also seeming pretty tired right now. And since there's no official review of it, let me just say that it was super annoying when Bendis threw his trademark informal dialog into the mouth of someone like Silver Samurai. So out of character. It works for some characters, but not everyone.

waezi2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

I don't have any problem with "silly" comics. Really enjoying this series

Me too, what is everyone's problem with this series?

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.