Follow

Amanda Waller

Character » Amanda Waller appears in 1096 issues.

A high-level government bureaucrat with an almost completely classified record, Amanda Waller is the ruthless creator and director of Task Force X - better known as the Suicide Squad.

The Problem With Amanda Er

Avatar image for the_mighty_monarch
    The Mighty Monarch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1450

User Lists: 4

Amanda Waller is hands down the single worst redesign of the entire 52. How many female characters in comics are skinny and attractive? How many are heavy and robust? How many are heavy, robust, and POPULAR? AMANDA FUCKING WALLER. THE WALL. You can't take The Wall out of Amanda Waller, or you're just left with Amanda Er. As in, errr, who the hell is this useless unintimidating government administrator bitch? Certain ain't no Amanda Waller I know. Seriously, whoever designed this atrocity or even approved of this bullshit needs to be sacked. Immediately. I'm dead serious. Red Hood may have made Starfire into a walking blob of sex, ditto for Godiva in JLI; but THIS is a bigger contribution to the negative objectification of women in comic books. Taking a popular and damn well respected figure who happened to be heavy (And was indeed defined by her epic weight and uniqueness) and making her a skinny sexy cardboard cutout. FUCK YOU DC. 

Can you see Amanda Er in this? I certainly can't.
    the_tree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 14

#1  Edited By the_tree

Agreed, what they did to Waller is atrocious! And that vid's hilarious!

BatteredArmor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By BatteredArmor

Am i really the only person who doesn't see it as a problem? it's probably cause i'm fat myself but i think it's a good thing being fat isn't practicle if Amanda is ever in the field or the line of fire it just became more likely for her to live

Avatar image for the_mighty_monarch
    The Mighty Monarch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1450

@The_Tree: Thanks man! If you like that, you should check out some of my other videos. 

@BlackArmor: But that's the thing, when is Amanda EVER in the field? She gets her way through manipulation and intimidation, and the heavyset Amanda is WAY more intimidating. And its not JUST that (but it's mostly that) nothing in her dialogue or other characters reactions suggests any hint of intimidation. Also, the whole idea that all the female characters HAVE to be slim and sexy? Can't we have ONE badass fat woman? And finally, the whole idea that there's more than one reason she's called 'The Wall.'
    dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 9

#4  Edited By dernman

They need to bring the BBW back. There was no good reason for the change and for me takes away from the character.

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#5  Edited By dernman

Is it just me or did it look like they didn't just make her skinny but gave her an eating disorder?

Kairan1979

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#6  Edited By Kairan1979
    @The Mighty Monarch
    I can't agree more. If they needed a hottie leading Task Force X, they could always use Spy Smasher II.
    Sinestro2828

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By Sinestro2828

Hilarious video! It oddly defines what makes Amanda Waller so badass, and I agree that her new look seems totally unnecessary. I mean, I'm all for fanservice and sexy lady characters, but Amanda Waller is supposed to be this scary, imposing heavyset lady who mostly operates from behind the scenes rather than on the frontlines (thats what her expendable Suicide Squad stooges are for lol). However, on the rare occasions she HAS been in the field, she's shown herself to be able to handle herself pretty well despite her girth, typically good with weapons AND has a mean punch from what I've seen in her gallery on comicvine. I guess I could understand the weight loss if she were prepping herself for more active service in the field, but...There are plenty of heavyset people in the military so its not really necessary AND its not really her style, the Suicide Squad is supposed to be secretive, operating under the cover of random supervillain attacks so it wouldn't make sense for her to be there in the spotlight with them unless it was ABSOLUTELY necessary. She's their handler, not their field commander. I can picture her giving them orders over the radio or comm links like Oracle does for the Birds of Prey though.

Point is, she was unique amongst DC's many leading ladies as a heavyset tough as nails woman rather than yet another super model figured character (nothing against the many curvaceous well proportioned ladies of DC mind you, just not a good look for the infamous Wall). If they had to go with a new look, why not keep her heavy set but also make her a bit more muscular, like the King Pin from Marvel? seemingly fat but actually solidly built. Harley Quin already fulfills the sexy lethal lady role on Suicide Squad, they could easily add another villainess to the team if they had to have another hottie instead of altering Waller's appearance. I enjoyed the first issue despite Waller's new look and will continue to read them in the hopes of finding out what's going on with Waller though.

fodigg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#8  Edited By fodigg

I don't know if it's the worst redesign, but it's pretty bad. I'd say it's definitely in the running for worst. It's so pointless and it adds nothing to her character to depict her as yet another svelte supermodel in the world of super-heroics.

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By danhimself

I'd be much more afraid of someone that's in shape and could catch me than someone who needs to stop at Crispy Creme for a break during the chase

ReVamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#10  Edited By ReVamp

I agree.

Sinestro2828

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By Sinestro2828

@Kairan1979: What ever became of Spysmasher II anyway? And would she be considered a good handler for the Suicide Squad or a candidate FOR the Squad? XD

BatteredArmor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By BatteredArmor

@The Mighty Monarch

: First time i commented i forgot to tell you how great the video is i still think amanda's fine the way she is now but it was still a great vid

@danhimself said:

I'd be much more afraid of someone that's in shape and could catch me than someone who needs to stop at Crispy Creme for a break during the chase

cosign

Kairan1979

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#13  Edited By Kairan1979
    @Sinestro2828 said:

@Kairan1979: What ever became of Spysmasher II anyway? And would she be considered a good handler for the Suicide Squad or a candidate FOR the Squad? XD

The last time I've seen her was in Secret Six, when she recruited Bane, King Shark, Giganta and a few others I can't quite remember to take over Skartaris in the name of United States. See? She is okay to be the handler of Task Force X.
    lady_toyano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By lady_toyano

I can't say amen enough.

Telcalipoca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Telcalipoca

@BlackArmor said:

@The Mighty Monarch

: First time i commented i forgot to tell you how great the video is i still think amanda's fine the way she is now but it was still a great vid

@danhimself said:

cosign

but she wont be chasing you ever.if the people in charge have to personally chase you then they are doing something awfully wrong .

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.