Follow

Amanda Waller

Character » Amanda Waller appears in 1091 issues.

A high-level government bureaucrat with an almost completely classified record, Amanda Waller is the ruthless creator and director of Task Force X - better known as the Suicide Squad.

If I am torturing someone, I am not going to wear a pushup bra

RazzaTazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1887

User Lists: 79

Edited By RazzaTazz

This sort of is a follow-on blog to my last one breaking down the appearance of various female characters in DC Comics' new 52.  And again as opposed to some of my other blogs this one will deal with current events in comics, so let this be a disclaimer to not read ahead in case your don't want plot developments ruined (specifically for the new Suicide Squad series.)  As has been mentioned elsewhere a prominent concern that people had with this series was the depiction of Harley Quinn, but while the cover gave the connotation of a more sexualized Harley, the interior didn't really follow through with it.  What was kind of a departure from one of the female characters was Amanda Waller.  No longer depicted as a late middle aged heavyset woman, she now has a much more svelte appearance, and a bit younger as well.  To be fair part of this might have been motivated by her portrayal by Angela Bassett in the Green Lantern movie, but as seems more like with the pattern forming with the new 52, that it seems more like like DC would have gone this route anyway.  In light of the amount of people with weight problems in North America though, is this a reasonable or responsible approach to a character who was overweight?  Well not really.  As opposed to the automatic fix (and somewhat necessary in that regard)  for Barbara Gordon to get out of her wheelchair, the powers at be at DC could have taken a more proactive approach to this character development, at least donating a panel to it here or there in the months leading up to the new 52 to show that Waller was indeed trying to get her weight under control, and maybe even displaying some healthy ways in which she was doing so.  Weight loss is something which requires willpower, tenacity and hard work, as opposed to the waving of some magic wand as it is generally portrayed in the media and specifically as it is here.  A better path could have been chosen for the character.

I didn't really tie that title into the article, but suffice to say as Waller is shown here post-torture, I wouldn't bother wearing a pushup bra to do so.  
    I didn't really tie that title into the article, but suffice to say as Waller is shown here post-torture, I wouldn't bother wearing a pushup bra to do so.  
    CATPANEXE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By CATPANEXE

Could be weirder. She could be Nick Fury in an alternate reality and out of the blue have his race and genetically inherited features changed, without magic wand, and still lose his eye. Bottom line is I'm very for the " because of appearance in film " routine here, and I just can't blame them either. What pulls a larger audience and brings in more profit worldwide? A comic book series or a motion picture? That's an easy answer and the gap is really wide when you put it in perspective, to the point one could maybe say that the movies could be used to sell more comic books than the comics could the movies. Add to this, while I'm sure being say a comic book writer or artist brings in a luxurious living,
    it's probably a safe bet that any comic or writer would love to also get into films and get the kind of reap that comes with it if there's a chance. This and not lastly but most notably coincides with the fact that right now the number one most looked over property by Tinseltown for development into movies is the comic book medium, so to the point that they are combing over everything ever released for the material that makes the easiest transitions. Where this brings us to DC and to Amanda in the New 52 is that DC is owned and dictated by Warner Bros, a movie house, and looking at the perspective that two characters from two well known forms of entertainment outside the comic medium are present in this book, which may then introduce people to the other characters in the book and the prior team. In fact Harley Quinn is a testament to this as she actually originated in a medium outside comics and pulled her fan base over from there. When she first did many of the long time comic readers would note in ways that she didn't fit the mold of a comic character, which was actually true. She fit the mold of the more silly animated character that she came from and the rest of the comic found a way to conform around her presence. Of course, because her animated viewing audience was the larger number, and as well a large number of potential readers, and not as of yet current. There's a fine line to be walked between pleasing your already established customers, and appealing to the ones that aren't yet and/or are just coming in. In Amanda's case, given the over-all appeal attempt by Suicide Squad it's pretty obvious which was the more intelligent move. As for her weight loss, I can and can't agree. If this had been brought to bear, a large part of the already crammed first issue of Suicide Squad would have to have been Amanda working out, even though she wasn't revealed till the end. Likewise a latter issue would then need to have a dedication to it, minding the fact that this series is not about Amanda, it's about the other players of the team like Harley, Deadshot, King Shark, ect who are the stars. So basically it also made more sense to not cover how she lost the weight, as frankly that would be kind of a boring read in a book that isn't even focused on the character, and is focused on its stars and its action. The only way I could really see it go down proper would be an Amanda 1-shot, but I can guarantee the sales wouldn't justify it's print. In a nutshell I'm saying they made the right move, and noting that Amanda where as of nothing to the changes made to the entire DCU and much more observed and classic characters and concepts, in an advertized move in which doing just that would be the whole concept and running theme.

As for whether one should wear a push-up bra when torturing (and of course killing someone) personally I don't think it matters since the victim wont see it through the clown suit. Then again having it on hand could be handy as a gag, blindfold or bond if the need arose, so maybe Amanda was ahead of the curve. >-)

TheCrowbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By TheCrowbar
    @RazzaTazz
    Waller's change was the single dumbest thing to come out of the 52.
    RazzaTazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By RazzaTazz
    @CATPANEXE said:
     As for whether one should wear a push-up bra when torturing (and of course killing someone) personally I don't think it matters since the victim wont see it through the clown suit. Then again having it on hand could be handy as a gag, blindfold or bond if the need arose, so maybe Amanda was ahead of the curve. >-)
    Its off topic, and maybe weird to say, but they are not very comfortable things to wear while engaged in strenuous physical activity, which I assume torture would be included
    Avatar image for deactivated-5c6600594117e
    deactivated-5c6600594117e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 111

User Lists: 51

There's no telling what Flash did at the end of Flashpoint to make Amanda skinny. Maybe his actions removed a fast food restaurant in her hometown that never led her to discover unhealthy foods.
    DEGRAAF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5  Edited By DEGRAAF

@RazzaTazz said:

@CATPANEXE said:
    Its off topic, and maybe weird to say, but they are not very comfortable things to wear while engaged in strenuous physical activity, which I assume torture would be included

i've never worn one and i've never torutred some one but i didnt think she was doing alot of the torture i thought she was just standing there. Are they really that bad? Figured it would just be like holding your chest up and pushing them together all day. After saying it i could see how that could become bothersome.

RazzaTazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By RazzaTazz
    @DEGRAAF: Its not like  a pain, just like a lack of comfort.  You make a valid point that maybe she was just watching, still it got pretty chaotic in there at times, like when the Shark went crazy.  
    DEGRAAF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By DEGRAAF

@RazzaTazz: true. although you had to see that coming. Someone was going to get bitten or eaten by the half shark half man being

CATPANEXE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By CATPANEXE

" I'll torture you in comfort. "

I love the Hell out that for a variety of reasons. *^.^*

The Poet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 84

User Lists: 99

#9  Edited By The Poet  Moderator

@CATPANEXE said:

" I'll torture you in comfort. " I love the Hell out that for a variety of reasons. *^.^*

@RazzaTazz: I love this Blog for SO many reasons...

RazzaTazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By RazzaTazz
    @The Poet: Thanks, its not about content though, its about a catchy title
    Jotham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#11  Edited By Jotham

Maybe it's a regular bra, and she's got push-up breasts.

Also, that's the new Waller? DANG.

RazzaTazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By RazzaTazz
    @Jotham: ah yes, well pushup breasts = comic book breasts, so I can understand that 
    Jotham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#13  Edited By Jotham

@RazzaTazz: Yes, that's what I was trying to imply, but in a more absurd way.

Mutant God

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Mutant God

Maybe this is what she look like before she had children or maybe this is her daughter
    B'Town

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#15  Edited By B'Town

I liked the rotund Amanda. I am hoping this is just the younger in better shape Waller and that she will return to her splendid larger self over time. Heck, she IS the WALL, I have come to love.

I'll miss what's missing, and no push up bra is going to make up for it. Hah. ha. Not that there is anything wrong with wearing a push-up while engaging in such activity. =)

More seriously though, I don't know why they had to change Waller's figure. I feel this is a bad move, Amanda was one of the few (only?) plus size women in comics and I am a little ashamed that I support a form of entertainment that does not represent any of my larger sisters in society. It's sad really, society are we that judgmental that not even our comic publishers will allow Amanda Waller to continue as she was? *shakes head

Kairan1979

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 18

#16  Edited By Kairan1979

@TheCrowbar:

I agree. Her old look made a perfect match with her personality. Then they click the fingers and turn Amanda Waller into a stereotypical hottie.

At least in Smallville we could see "old" Amanda Waller.

HexThis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

#17  Edited By HexThis

I'm beyond baffled as to why it would be a necessity, of all things, to make Amanda Waller sexier in the reboot. I suppose this isn't very much unlike Valerie Cooper wherein some appearances she looks like a politician and in others she's a federal fox glamazon.

Beyond the societal implications of this, my argument against it lies more in the simple fact that Amanda Waller's appeal just doesn't rest on sex appeal nor has it ever. People like Amanda Waller because she's an anti-heroine, because she's a direct contrast to what all the other superheroes stand for...male or female. She's appealing because she plays to a different sort of power. She's like the Chief in Carmen Sandiego, she's brazen and loud but you just love her anyways.

I mean, does she have to look like she's got a bit part on a CW show (you know they only hire Maxim girls and prom queens)? Can't she have a younger Robin Quivers-look about her at least?

Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#18  Edited By Gambit1024

Her appearance pre-52 made her look intimidating. Now she looks like a pushover. Why did she have to put the cupcake down in this strange new universe?

InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

#19  Edited By InnerVenom123

@Gambit1024 said:

Her appearance pre-52 made her look intimidating. Now she looks like a pushover. Why did she have to put the cupcake down in this strange new universe?

LMFAO.

RazzaTazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By RazzaTazz
    @aztek_the_lost
    That is quite a bit out of my field of expertise.  I assume when you are sexually dominating someone you want to have that sort of over the top sexual attraction.  When you are waterboarding someone, I would think just a pair of sweatpants and tank top would do. 
    RazzaTazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By RazzaTazz
    @aztek_the_lost
    Well the fact that she sends them into kill a stadium full of people immediately after would seem strange that she has a hot date at the same time.  On the other hand this is the new 52 so it would be in context: 

Amanda Waller:  So do you like how my breasts look? 
    Amanda's date:  yes .. I mean yes they are quite nice ... your phone keeps buzzing though 
    Amanda Waller:  Oh yeah its probably just updates from my employees that I sent in to massacre a stadium full of people. 
    Amanda's date:  Oh cool, got any pictures? 
    azza04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By azza04

Lmao

COBRAMORPH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

While she is the type who would torture someone as needed, isnt she in a position of authority were she'd have the lackeys do the torturing? Plus, maybe she had a meeting that day, & needed to , god I hate the expression, use her assets, to get some more assets.

As for her new appearance, she should be in shape since she is in a military-esque role.

Also, lets not forget that obese people are NOT a minority. So they really should NOT be portrayed in media, unless it is to promote a HEALTHY & SAFE method of losing the weight, such as Karma in Marvel going from huge to a hot piece of asset. While there could be valid reasons for their lack of activity, health or past trauma, over eating could just as well be the same as becoming a drunk or other drug addict.

sentryman555

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't have a problem with overweight people in comics but I don't like how most of the ones I can think of from the top of my head are villains. Or, in the case of amanda waller, evil-ish? It's not bad to have overweight people in comics but why do most of them have to be villains? So I actually like the amanda waller change. I didn't at first but the more I think about it I do.

Avatar image for transformers1024
    Transformers1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@thecrowbar: I'd much rather have this Waller than the fat sack of crap Waller in the Pre-Flashpoint

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.