Follow

Amanda Waller

Character » Amanda Waller appears in 1096 issues.

A high-level government bureaucrat with an almost completely classified record, Amanda Waller is the ruthless creator and director of Task Force X - better known as the Suicide Squad.

Amanda Waller's lost alotta weight

SuperXAsh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 13

Edited By SuperXAsh

I guess with the new DCU, the higher ups have decided that all their female characters need to look like top-heavy supermodels. Which means the Flashpoint gave Amanda some serious liposuction. That or one could blame this on movies and TV. OR maybe Jim Lee can't draw fat people. :P

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v482/Ashfanrico/suicide-squad1.jpg

Just hits me as... odd... that they've decided to go this route. It just rings to me as a really pointless decision. XD

SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By SC  Moderator

I have not read this issue yet, nor many other issues, so I am not sure if this is like, well is this establishing her to look and appear like this? If so, I find this really sad. Amanda Waller had a really iconic look, and she looked great. She added some much needed diversity with character shapes, that comics needs so badly in order to main a certain grounded realism that adds no pun intended weight and drama to their respective shared Universes. The best thing about Amanda Waller being a bit heavier was that she was not a joke character. She is a serious character. She is not comical like Big Bertha (who I like as well) she had a nice edge to her.  

Do you know who Sarah Silverman is? Ugh, I am so in love with her. Anyway, something she has mentioned, is that, for herself, she can be (make) sexist, racist, rape, fingering, suicide, piss, violence, terrorism, religious, etc jokes, and just not blink. I mean its humor. She is aware some people might be offended, but nyeh, she usually mocks herself most anyway. I remember though, and this was just something she applied to herself, but she found that she could not really make fun of overweight woman, just because it seemed much more mean spirited, and that so much of society just... fat guys have those really bad sitcoms with really stereotypical cliche hot wives. (this was her point, not mine) but overweight woman basically get told by society that no one can, or should love them. I think such issues are a bit more complicated than that, but thats why I am sitting here in my room staring out the window thinking about overcomplicated maths problems, and Sarah Silverman is like out there being super funny and super cute and super rich.  

Anyway, why take one of the most defining aspects of a character away? A character that promoted the idea of diversity in ways that not many other characters in comics do without being a joke. I hope this is just a temp error as opposed to a Harley sized BOHICA. 

RazzaTazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1887

User Lists: 79

#2  Edited By RazzaTazz

Part of it is making her more visually appealing I am sure, but comics are also often following suit from movies and for me she looks a lot like a young Angela Bassett.  I think the movie deserves some credit for the transformation as well.

Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

#3  Edited By Gambit1024

Maybe somewhere in this timeline she just decided to put the cupcake down.

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4  Edited By dernman

I was disappointing with what they did to her. They didn't just make her skinny but when I first saw her face she looked anorexic.

iLLituracy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By iLLituracy

This is crap.

Avatar image for i_madc_imageguy_
    I'maDC/ImageGuy!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By I'maDC/ImageGuy!

When she was fat she's intimidating. Now she's eye candy with a brain............woopie.

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#7  Edited By Mercy_

Not a fan of this move.

EnSabahNurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By EnSabahNurX

@RazzaTazz said:

Part of it is making her more visually appealing I am sure, but comics are also often following suit from movies and for me she looks a lot like a young Angela Bassett. I think the movie deserves some credit for the transformation as well.

That's what i noticed when i saw the picture, but i miss a heavier amanda there was something cool about her not being a supermodel type figure and made her more memorable now she's just another stereotyped comicbook woman

SuperXAsh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By SuperXAsh
    @I'maDC/ImageGuy! said:

When she was fat she's intimidating. Now she's eye candy with a brain............woopie.

Yeah that was the whole point to her character. She was meant to be big and intimidating, she had power and authority behind her, and wasn't scared of anyone. Not even Batman. Her weight added to that. She cared more about security and peace and operational stability than her looks. And it also made her stand out, so she had more "weight" to her presence. Now she's just another chick in the DC universe. 

@RazzaTazz said:

Part of it is making her more visually appealing I am sure, but comics are also often following suit from movies and for me she looks a lot like a young Angela Bassett.  I think the movie deserves some credit for the transformation as well.  

Yeah they seemed reluctant to cast someone who was overweight. Even in her TV appearances.

SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By SC  Moderator

I don't like how hypocritical this is as well. Oh well, we want to encourage more female readers to comics and find it more accessible, so no more skirts. I mean, I love skirts, they look so pretty, but eh, what's more important, to me, drawing skirts on characters I like when I occasionally decided to do fan art or saving the comics industry by making more people, specifically more people from one super large market/audience. So if DC who has millions and millions dollars to lose, have concluded and researched and gauged from their potential audience that skirts put off certain fans? Eh okay, well give more characters pants and practicality. Except here? First with Harley and now Amanda Waller? Make the character look more generically attractive to repeat the idea that characters worths are visual and differences redundant? Nyeh. Its the minor characters that need more protection from strange creative changes like this. I wish DC's stance was more consistent. 

SurelockeHomes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By SurelockeHomes

@SC: I do enjoy my Sarah Silverman, but please, what is a BOHICA?

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By cattlebattle

Weight Watchers??

SurelockeHomes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By SurelockeHomes

@SurelockeHomes said:

Never mind. I got it.

SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By SC  Moderator
    @SurelockeHomes said:

Bend Over, Here It Comes Again.  In other words this is not the first time fans of such minor characters have been screwed over in an attempt to creatively change and control characters to appeal to greater potential audience of newer, more relatively ignorant fans who only know the character though other mediums like sexier, vampy Harley Quinn and skinny Amanda Waller (Basset was a reasonably good choice for that role) or characters have been changed to appeal to what is usually more appealing casually.  

Sarah Silverman is like a pineapple, and I am like... a can. So I want to take a.. no.. no I am not sure where I am going with this. lol
    SurelockeHomes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By SurelockeHomes

@SC: I really liked Amanda Waller. First saw her on the justice league cartoon, and I thought "She's cool. She stands up to the Trinity and the whole league and doesn't care." Especially in the Epilogue episode with Terry. I was overjoyed when I first found out she was in a comic book too.

Mon

labarith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By labarith

DC: Wheelchair and fattie free since Sept. 2011.

In 2012 we get rid of bald people, the mentally retarded, and what the hell... infertility.

2013: If Sarah Palin wins, we're getting rid of gay people. Nah, just kidding - even we know if a republican wins, the economy will die and we'll subsistence farm.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By the_stegman

...to be honest i really don't care, as long as her attitude is the same, i don't care how she looks (this could actually be said about all of the characters in the new 52) but you never know, maybe she'll slowly get larger as the series progresses, that would be pretty cool to see

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

#18  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous
    No Caption Provided
    KainScion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By KainScion

i think turning her into a supermodel with huge bonkers undermines all she's done up until this point. like they decided she wasnt cutting it the way she was, which by the way SHE WAS CUTTING AWESOMELY. she gave bats problems, that should say something. she may turn out to be the same, its kind of hard to take her seriously when she's making me..... unable to concentrate.

CATPANEXE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By CATPANEXE

I'm with that it was done for the old " make the characters more like the movie counterpart to attract new readers " (noting that the part in italics is the foremost mission
    of the revamp anyways, point) in that they are trying to tie her closer to the representation of her in the Green Lantern film by Angela Bassett (whom may be used in later DC/WB films much like Sam Jackson in Marvels, imo) over the idea that they just didn't think her obesity was appealing, since I think if they thought that they would have already initiated that move long ago and slimmed her down over time, and prior to her film appearance, which this reinvention happens to coincide with , and likely on the same train of thought as RazzaTazz above me. It doesn't seem out of place when looking at it from that perspective.

the_tree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#21  Edited By the_tree

@labarith said:

DC: Wheelchair and fattie free since Sept. 2011.

In 2012 we get rid of bald people, the mentally retarded, and what the hell... infertility.

2013: If Sarah Palin wins, we're getting rid of gay people. Nah, just kidding - even we know if a republican wins, the economy will die and we'll subsistence farm.

Troll harder.

SuperXAsh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By SuperXAsh
    @labarith
    Please don't tell me you just commented in here so you could bring politics into this. e___e
    Nikoleta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Nikoleta

@SC: I've never even heard one woman say they didn't like skirts on characters. Personally, I loved it. I think the art looks better with skirts, not to mention cosplaying. A lot less people can get away with the way these pants (more like leggings, really) are drawn than a skirt. Plus, I like skirts.

Anyway, as a plus sized woman I like positive plus sized characters (as in they weren't made to be a joke or whatever) and so I really noticed the new Amanda and am not pleased. I liked seeing someone who was, although bigger than me, closer to my size than most others in the series I read and to have her have an awesome personality was even better. I wouldn't have cared if I didn't know what she looked like before (obviously as I read many titles where there are no plus sized women) but because I do it bothers me. I was talking to a couple other plus sized women about this and they pretty much said, "Thanks DC for making me feel like I have to look a certain way by changing a really great character's appearance to suit the norm" I never thought of that personally but I can see the thought process.

But I guess as long as her attitude/personality is the same it won't really matter after a while. I'll still be upset for the first few appearances though. For some reason I just can't see the same personality on this new Waller. i guess time will tell.

Primmaster64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#24  Edited By Primmaster64

Wow

fodigg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#25  Edited By fodigg

Not only is this a shame for the inclusion of stout-bodied female characters in comics, but just generally this hurts her character. Waller's appearance matched her personality. You looked at her and knew she was businesslike, strong, and anything but a waif. Her big frame matched her big personality. It's a shame to lose that.

EnSabahNurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By EnSabahNurX

@spiderbat87 said:

No Caption Provided

I loved her as amanda just wish they put her hair up

BatteredArmor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By BatteredArmor

I'm actually a little....shall we say overweight myself. Yeah i know you all thought i was the guy from the old spice commercials but im sorry ladies im not. that being said as a fa...overweight person i aknowledge that there are some things people like me and amanda waller just plain out cannot do physically speaking. I'm sure this was a very practical decision. trust me at some point in the first lets say ten issues there going to need her to pole vault or something and when that happens we'll all be thankful for this :)

look at me. now look at your man. now look at me. now look back at your man. luckily he's not me because i would already have eaten that popcorn that fell next your feet.

Eyz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#28  Edited By Eyz

@BlackArmor: Heck, she's a fictional character. What she would be able or not to do doesn't matter in the end.

Look at Kingpin fight at ease with everyone... The original Amanda Waller was "classic"! It's like turning Superman blonde!

BatteredArmor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By BatteredArmor

@Eyz:

comic books are unrealistic i will give you that but they usually try not to do impossible things completely without explanation for example the kingpin is how he is because he's not fat thats ALL muscle i don't even no if that's possible in real life and it certinally isn't a good explanation but it is an explanation. trust me at some point in the first 10 issue ms. waller will have to do something that fat people can't do like for example pole vault off a 20 story building summersault down 10 stories on the side of the building kick off on the 10th story flip 3 times in the air land in a hand stand back flip out of the hand stand on to the back part of a park bench run along 100 back of park benches ninja style jump 10 yards in the air fight 20 bruce lee clones with nothing but a safety pin land on her feet without stumbling then rip of her shirt and be wearing a bikini and teleport to the beach and drink a pepsi wait 2 pepsi.......then we'll all be thankful for the weight loss I uh mean for the sumersault part of course not um not the bikini part

but seriously they probably really do have a practicle reason and all we can do is wait and see even if it's a bad reason her charecter should be strong enough to survive

on a less serious note as a mildly fat person myself i feel good for her being fat is really not fun and if i could loose the weight that quickly i'd do it in a heart beat. plus she looks great (in a respectful way) and thats always good. and yes i am congradgulating a fictional charecter for subscribing to weight watchers i'd do it myself but i need money for comics

PowerHerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#30  Edited By PowerHerc

She needed to.

lady_toyano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#31  Edited By lady_toyano

Biggest disappointment in this whole reboot, but I've just finished blogging on it so i'm going to stop here.

COBRAMORPH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By COBRAMORPH

First off, being overweight should never be even considered to be the same as race, gender, orientation, or religion. Unless there is a health reason for it. But being obese for the sake of being fat & lazy is not. I weighed 185, now am down to 145, & i slowly want to lose a tiny bit more. Not to much to go the other way.

I dont know her exact measurments & what not , but every time I saw her, she looked to be at an unhealthy weight. & that is a lifestyle that should not be encouraged when you have kids being diabetic in elementary school, heart attacks at 30, & an increase of women dieing earlier.

Plus size is NOT the same as being obese. At least I hope not. She could be larger yes, sure ok, but not unhealthy.

Also, I think it has to do with she is a very prominent black female in a position of authority, that she was given the comic book Hottie make over.

GrenadeFlow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By GrenadeFlow

I still hate skinny Waller and the actress that played her in Arrow makes me hate skinny Waller even more

El_Taza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's not that big of a deal that she's hot. I mean she's still that mama bitch that I always loved, thin or fat. Though her fatter incarnation was very unique and awesome somehow. Not only she was a chick but also a fatass and at the same time a total badass. Hmmm... idk.

bychance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By bychance
    @grenadeflow said:

I still hate skinny Waller and the actress that played her in Arrow makes me hate skinny Waller even more

What's wrong with her? She's basically perfect for the part

No Caption Provided

As long as a character's personality is the same, its not that big of a deal that she's skinnier.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.