Follow

Amalgam

Story arc »

A cross-publisher event of a series of titles put out by both Marvel Comics and DC Comics under the name Amalgam Comics, it blended elements from the two publishers' catalogs.

Marvel vs DC/Amalgam

Avatar image for deactivated-5bf392a6a3b92
    deactivated-5bf392a6a3b92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 14

So why is it that in the Marvel vs DC series, they had Superman fight Hulk, but in the Amalgam universe, they combined Superman with Captain America? Also, Batman fought Captain America, but combined with Wolverine. Was that ever explained somewhere and I just missed it, or did they just combine who they thought would be a cooler pair than the one they fought? Thoughts?

Mighty Thorion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 34

#2  Edited By Mighty Thorion

I think in the fights they tried to match characters as closely as possible in terms of powers. Creative licence was then given to writers / artists to develop amalgamised characters they thought would sell well. That's my theory anyway.

Avatar image for deactivated-5bf392a6a3b92
    deactivated-5bf392a6a3b92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 14

That makes sense, and I see that the fights were pretty even in terms of powers, but I just wondered why they didn't keep them in the fourth Amalgam issue of the series. Because we all know Superman fighting Cap isn't anywhere close to a fair fight! Weird.

TheCannon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 47

#4  Edited By TheCannon

@Mighty Thorion said:

I think in the fights they tried to match characters as closely as possible in terms of powers. Creative licence was then given to writers / artists to develop amalgamised characters they thought would sell well. That's my theory anyway.

This.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.