Follow

Alpha

Character » Alpha appears in 24 issues.

An average fifteen-year-old given extraordinary abilities by an experiment gone wrong, leading him to become the sidekick to Spider-Man. After misusing his powers in a mission with the Avengers, he was depowered by the web-head. However, he has since been repowered by Doc Ock possessing Peter Parker's body.

Really Spideys Sidekick? Like.... Forever?

GR2Blackout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 63

#1  Edited By GR2Blackout

That would SUCK! Thats the thing that makes Spidey different, you never see a Spider-Boy running around. Now times a getting rough so they just use the same exact origin as Spider-Man for a character that should be in DC. People in Marvel dont have sidekicks... so just ignore Bucky Barnes, X-23, She-Hulk, and Wong

Funrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Funrush

Um... sarcasm?

ExtraLarge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By ExtraLarge

I'm not opposed to Spidey having a temporary sidekick, and I guarantee it will not be a permanent thing. Nothing in Marvel is permanent.

KainScion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#4  Edited By KainScion

stan lee admited he doesnt like sidekicks but the hell is listening to that old fart.

VenomousDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By VenomousDragon

Leave the sidekicks to batman, it doesnt suit spider-man.

Gonzo33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Gonzo33

It'll be interesting to see spiderman take someone under his webbed-wing (boo) but I don't think it'll last...

htb106

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By htb106

One of the main reasons I like DC is the sidekicks, this has persuaded me to read a bit of Spider-man.

TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

#8  Edited By TheBlueAngel93

I really don't see what the big deal is or why people are whining about this so much. The idea of Marvel superheroes mentoring younger ones isn't new nor is it really out-of-character for them. Spider-Man, while yes proved that teenagers don't have to be a sidekick to be a superhero, the point is that while yes Spider-Man was a teenager when he became a superhero, the idea is to help the next generation of heroes to not make the same mistakes he made, like abusing his powers which lead to the death of his uncle.

This is less of "Spidey having a sidekick" or more of Spidey trying to help a newcomer to the superhero world stay on the right track and not get himself or anyone else killed. To me, when it comes to Spider-Man, that sounds exactly like something he'd do and doesn't feel forced or out-of-character at all.

heavyone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9  Edited By heavyone

I will admit that I am little on the fence about this character. I am intrigued because it hasn't been done to Spider-Man before, but I am not sure how this will work. The reason being that in order for Alpha to be a TRUE sidekick, Peter is going to have to reveal his identity. And, if history has any influence on this story, isn't he going to have to adopt him...ala Bruce Wayne -> Dick Grayson, and Tim Drake?

Master_Thief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By Master_Thief

I think he'll have a sidekick until #700

Omega Ray Jay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 5

#11  Edited By Omega Ray Jay

I'm cool with the idea of Spidey starting him off then this kid going out on his own and popping up in other corners of the Marvel U

BatteredArmor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By BatteredArmor

Yep forever, until death (issue 700) do them part

Duke_Nasty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#13  Edited By Duke_Nasty

I hate sidekicks, especially pre-teen sidekicks. Hopefully this ends quick.

Funrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Funrush

What makes you guys think he'll die in 700? That would make him only last 9 issues, that would be too few issues for anyone to gain emotional attachment to him, killing him off would just be so lacking. I think he will be killed... but not so immediately.

Strider1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 10

#15  Edited By Strider1992

@Funrush said:

What makes you guys think he'll die in 700? That would make him only last 9 issues, that would be too few issues for anyone to gain emotional attachment to him, killing him off would just be so lacking. I think he will be killed... but not so immediately.

It'll be a guilt thing. Either the sidekick will die in a fight or he'll turn into a villain and Spider-man will be forced to put him down in 700.

Whats a better way to make Spider-man more guilty than he already is than by having the the very thing he created turn evil and hurt people. That's like the ultimate guilt trip. He screwed up the kids life by turning him into Alpha then tries to help him to use his powers for good but the kid gets corrupted. Yep that would definitely screw him over lol!

Besides Spider-man could apparently turn dark in the future (its been prevented from happening twice. Once by Spider-man and once by Julia Carpenter during Grim Hunt) maybe this is what pushes him off the edge.

Funrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Funrush

@Strider92 said:

@Funrush said:

It'll be a guilt thing. Either the sidekick will die in a fight or he'll turn into a villain and Spider-man will be forced to put him down in 700.

Whats a better way to make Spider-man more guilty than he already is than by having the the very thing he created turn evil and hurt people. That's like the ultimate guilt trip. He screwed up the kids life by turning him into Alpha then tries to help him to use his powers for good but the kid gets corrupted. Yep that would definitely screw him over lol!

Besides Spider-man could apparently turn dark in the future (its been prevented from happening twice. Once by Spider-man and once by Julia Carpenter during Grim Hunt) maybe this is what pushes him off the edge.

Well, my question was, why 700? What you say will probably happen, but nine issues is a bit too soon.

CrimsonCake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By CrimsonCake

I give him somewhere around 25-40 issues before he joins a team.

BatteredArmor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By BatteredArmor

Now that Alpha is actually here he seems sort of annoying, I still think that this is a good idea though

thespideyguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By thespideyguy

no he'll grow up

Eternal19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Eternal19

@htb106 said:

One of the main reasons I like DC is the sidekicks, this has persuaded me to read a bit of Spider-man.

fodigg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#21  Edited By fodigg

Guys, guys, don't worry. In like, a few hundred issues or so Spider-Man will sell Alpha to the devil and everything will be back to normal.

allthatsgeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#22  Edited By allthatsgeek

@War Killer said:

I really don't see what the big deal is or why people are whining about this so much. The idea of Marvel superheroes mentoring younger ones isn't new nor is it really out-of-character for them. Spider-Man, while yes proved that teenagers don't have to be a sidekick to be a superhero, the point is that while yes Spider-Man was a teenager when he became a superhero, the idea is to help the next generation of heroes to not make the same mistakes he made, like abusing his powers which lead to the death of his uncle. This is less of "Spidey having a sidekick" or more of Spidey trying to help a newcomer to the superhero world stay on the right track and not get himself or anyone else killed. To me, when it comes to Spider-Man, that sounds exactly like something he'd do and doesn't feel forced or out-of-character at all.

QFT.

The predictable arc is: Kid gets high and mighty on his new powers, makes a mistake, loved one dies, spidey says "told ya so.", kid goes straight.

In one years time he will be relegated to bi annual appearances with all the other young heroes Marvel forgot about (Thunderstrike, looking at you kid)

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.