inferiorego's Alpha Flight #0.1 - Alpha Flight review

• inferiorego wrote this review on .
  • inferiorego has written a total of 318 reviews. The last one was for

What the Puck?

It's the return of the Canadian Super-Team, Alpha Flight!

The Good

So, this is a .1 issue, part of the .1 initiative, so new readers can expect to jump on and have no problem understanding what's going on in this issue. New readers will have a decent understanding of the team and their powers. I was pretty excited to see this team again, even though they're technically not officially a team yet.

Aside from being excited, mainly for Sasquatch, Snowbird, and Shaman, for the characters coming back from the dead, after the events of Chaos War, I really enjoyed the writing of Greg Pak and Fred Van Lente. Even if you've never liked the team, their writing will make you love it. On top of that, artist Ben Oliver (with Dan Green) will keep you completely engaged in the story. The art is softer and more realistic, and it some of the best I've seen this week.

The Bad

No Puck. I know he's in Hell because we saw him helping Wolverine out during the last Wolverine story-arc, but I was really hoping he'd "hop" back onto the team.

I felt like even though it was a .1 initiative book, new readers may have a little trouble adjusting to this team, since you miss out on a bit of history of these characters and who they actually are. We get decent glimpses, but I felt like new readers still may be a bit lost on this one.

Umm... One really weird moment I didn't like in this issue. Purple "Woman" has a bunch of people crawl onto each other to form a giant human-monster.

June 8th is when you'll be able to get your hands on the start of this new series, but for now you have a pretty solid re-introduction to the Alpha Flight team, except no Puck. Sure, the giant human-monster was a bit lame, and there are a few moments where new readers may feel they are missing out on who Alpha Flight was and is now, but overall, the art and writing make this a great issue to read. If anything, this book will really get you pumped for the upcoming on-going series.

Posted by longbowhunter

I like the writing team of Van Lente and Pak, I just cannot add another ongoing. My weekly comic spending is already out of hand.
Posted by Kid_Zombie

I cannot wait to read this!!! Its waiting for me at home when i get back from visiting the inlaws.

HUGE Alpha Flight fan (being canadian) and have read and own all the alpha flight books, which also kinda makes me disappointed in the team. I like the original team but i like some of the other team members more, ie Box, and talisman. Would have loved to see a new team, omega flight styles only with a solid mix of old and new. Get rid of shaman and marrina IMO. BUT i;m still very excited to see my favourite superheroes back hopefully this series lasts longer then the 8 issues they have planned at the moment. Sad theres no puck, i'm sure that there would be an arc concerning this if and when they last past the 8 issues. And hopefully an arc concerning Weapon Omega. HA so many possibilities, PUMPED!!!
Love the writer and the artist but hope they do their research, one thing that always bothered me is when i can tell a non canadian are writing and drawing these characters. Hopefully Karrie Andrews and Jeff Lemire join forces one day to do this book. That would be amazing to have some canadian talent do these characters.

Anyways, good review glad you enjoyed it!
Posted by strangeling

I didn't know the new series was an ongoing, I thought it's been solicited as a maxi-series (12-issues)?

Posted by simian

So the NDP is actually Unity? I knew Layton was up to something shady...

This issue really should have come out a couple weeks ago.