inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

Edited By inferiorego  Staff

The Good

Constantine seems something special within Jonah Hex. Something is protecting him. Hex just wants to get home, and Constantine gets Swamp Thing to help him out.

I don't know what it is about writers Justin Gray and Jimmy Palmiotti when working with Jonah Hex, but they can do no wrong. As a Hex fan, there's certain things you want to see and certain things you expect. When you first hear about Jonah Hex going to the future or teaming up with Constantine, or even Swamp Thing for that matter, your first thought is "they've gone too far." However, Gray and Palmiotti make the weird and bizarre really work. Jonah Hex always feel like Jonah Hex, even if he's teamed up battling a demon.

As for Hex being in the present, it actually works even better when the mystic side of things are thrown into the mix. It's a nice compliment, since a cowboy shooting up people in modern times can only last so long before Johnny Law comes down hard on you. This book is a ton of fun, and this issue really shows it through some of the dialogue, mainly from Constantine. The guy loves his ladies, and the ladies love him, and his accent.

There was one particular line in this issue that, as a fan of PREACHER, made me giggle with anticipation. Don't get too excited though, I'm most likely jumping to conclusions and looking too far into one piece of dialogue. There's some mysticism behind who and what Jonah Hex is. Here (spoilers), Constantine thinks Hex has some sort of guardian angel protecting him. Constantine calls Hex a "sainted killer." That's the line I'm gushing over. Again, I'm probably jumping to conclusions, but it gets me thinking. There's a lot of Vertigo elements already in this book. Maybe we'll see another? Here's to hoping! Gray and Palmiotti add another fantastic level to this character. He's a lot more than just a rough and tumble bounty hunter.

One of my favorite things about this series is the art of Moritat. He has a more gritty style that really fits the character and the book. There's one page here that blew me away though. There's a two page spread that gives the readers a glimpse into Hex's past. We see the faces and things within Hex's life, and a brilliant looking face of Hex on the left side.

The Bad

I was a bit hesitant about Swamp Thing in this issue, but it worked out great. This creative team nails it every issue.

The Verdict

ALL STAR WESTERN is quite possibly the most underrated book at DC comics. Palmiotti and Gray have been doing great things with this character for almost 100 issues (including their pre-52 run), and while the addition of mysticism and Hex being in the present may be out of reader's comfort zone, it works better than you can imagine. I love the direction the book is taking, and you will took. Overall, I highly recommend this issue.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

#1  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

I kind miss the days when All-Star Western was an actual western

Avatar image for madeinbangladesh
    MadeinBangladesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

User Lists: 172

#2  Edited By MadeinBangladesh

I was worried this issue wasn't gonna be very good. Love this book!

Btw @inferiorego I just recently finished reading The Alcoholic which was recommended by you. It was really great and depressing. I was addicted to the story.

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

#3 inferiorego  Staff

I was worried this issue wasn't gonna be very good. Love this book!

Btw @inferiorego I just recently finished reading The Alcoholic which was recommended by you. It was really great and depressing. I was addicted to the story.

It's still one of my favorite books. ALCOHOLIC has a special place in my heart. Glad you enjoyed it.

ImagineMan16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I kind miss the days when All-Star Western was an actual western

I have to agree, but at the same time, this is still a damn good series and a pretty solid issue... especially when stacked up against the majority of DC's current output

Avatar image for manwithoutshame
    manwithoutshame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No. I don't want this to have anything to do with Preacher. Absolutely not.

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

I plan on buying them in trades someday

kilomac29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

My underrated pick of the month, great issue. Makes me wish Palmiotti was writing the Constantine ongoing. I just finished Preacher book 1 and that reference made me giddy as well.

andrewwann7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By andrewwann7

So does this tie in to Justice League Dark and Forever Evil

tparks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#11 tparks  Online

I loved pre-new 52 Jonah Hex. I really loved his series of mostly stand-alone issues that only partially weaved story in and out of the other issues in the series. The writing in those issues were even better then any Western movie I've ever seen.

I've been hesitant to jump on All-Star Western, but it sounds like this review is coming from a real Hex fan, so I might just have to give it a shot and see if I can't buy a few trades today.

Avatar image for madeinbangladesh
    MadeinBangladesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

User Lists: 172

So does this tie in to Justice League Dark and Forever Evil

no.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.