undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Edited By undeadpool

The Good

Leave it to Brian Bendis to be the only writer, seemingly, who can take the less-than-stellar idea of crossing over the Ultimate and the 616 universe and not only making it work, but making it incredibly entertaining right out of the gate. We pick up in the Ultimates universe where Ultimate Doctor Kid Cho (AKA Amadeus Cho) is having his dimension gateway purchased by Ultimate Tony Stark. Suddenly, his Ultimate Lab experiences an Ultimate Overload and the portal, ultimately, shuts. Back in the 616-Verse, Angel and X-23 return from their night on the town, only to find the teaching staff departing and a new mutant emerging.The new mutant seems to be more of a focal point than previously thought, though. Bendis doesn’t seem like he’s going to be writing off what happened between Warren and Laura as “just a one-time deal” and he effortlessly goes about the business of making their burgeoning relationship something that, while it isn’t sure, it’s sure to be interesting. We get a lot of great moments from the time displaced X-Men in this, whether it be Jean and X-23 bonding, despite the latter’s insistence they not, Young Beast being the most delightful nerd he knows how to be or Young Iceman being clueless, intentionally and otherwise, Bendis once again displays a great economy in character development.

Mahmud Asrar takes over on linework and generally does a great job. Characters are detailed and show a great range of emotion in the many conversations that happen in this new arc. This is a very action-light issue, but thanks to Asrar’s quality work, it never falls flat and never gets boring. The characters are just exaggerated enough to belong while still having plenty of subtlety (especially Laura and Warren, whose body language both with each other and the others is a highlight). A large part of that is also owed to Marte Gracia and Jason Keith, whose colors add verve and energy to the title. Though its background palette tends toward dark, it’s actually a very bright book, both tonally and in terms of its characters. The colors never let you forget the feeling of whimsy that pervades the entire thing.

The Bad

Asrar does a generally great job, but a few of his panels are extremely flat to the point of being lifeless. They aren’t enough to ruin the book’s visual tone, but they’re definitely noticeable. This doesn’t feel like an entire book that was rushed, but parts of it definitely feel like they were.

The Verdict

Minor artistic flubs aside, this is a book that effectively threads fun with drama. It’s more than just teenagers bouncing off each other, but it has a certain delight in being that as well. I’m honestly completely in the dark on what will happen next in this book, but it could go a number of ways, some of which would be incredibly novel. Bendis has always been a writer who’s been great at capitalizing on what makes a character great and, whether using well-establshed ones, or establishing new ones for himself, he’s always done it well. I have confidence he’ll choose whatever’s best for the story he wants to tell and we’ll all benefit from it.

Avatar image for baberaham_lincoln
    Baberaham_Lincoln

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I thought this was supposed to be Iceman Unleashed.... when the hell did he unleash? I have been mislead yet again X..(

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

this new mutant could be one of the most dangerous mutants on Earth...I really hope that Bendis plays up how crazy it is for a mutant to have that power

Akindoodle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

this new mutant could be one of the most dangerous mutants on Earth...I really hope that Bendis plays up how crazy it is for a mutant to have that power

What power is this? I haven't kept up

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@danhimself said:

she can open doorways into alternate realities

Bl00dwerK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I thought it was garbage. All-New is easily my least-favorite X-Men book...

Akindoodle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Akindoodle
    Hassun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Hassun

The characterization of X-23 is hitting new, spectacular lows. Not to mention nearly everyone else.

This book continues to be absolutely horrendous and clearly shows the writer does not know the characters he's writing and probably doesn't even remotely care to find out either.

Not to mention the general plot and story outline of the book is as horrendous as when it started. Do you think a 1610/Ultimate Spider-Man crossover sounds bad? Well consider your expectations met!

Terrible book, ruinous characterizations and now even the art seems to be going downhill.

Avatar image for noteworthington
    Noteworthington

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Enjoying this book. Have a nice day folks!

Mrfuzzynutz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

*Doing his best cheesy villain impression*

"Hmm...It would seem young Mr. Schroeder and myself have conflicting views on this book. Very Well then, see to it he is no longer a problem, minion."

Sadly I am just not a fan of the past,present and future X-men stories. Just seems like a waste of the current crop of X-men, we barely know anything about them as it seems they are pushed to the back burner due to the Originals, X-23, and Future X-men constantly showing up..

sparty-dbq

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@danhimself: so she's basically Elizabeth from Bioshock Infinite?

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't know...never played that game

Fredcdobbs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Gave up with this book after Battle of the Atom which was horrendous, from the comments I won't be picking it back up.

kivatt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Can someone tell me the Nate Grey reference meaning. I don't get it

sparty-dbq

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sparty_dbq said:

I don't know...never played that game

There's your first problem right there.

Avatar image for thatlyn_yoaeg_ill_rymmin
    Thatlyn Yoaeg'ill'rymmin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is the only "X" book that is interesting me [except for the two single series of Nightcrawler and Storm and, perhaps, Amazing X-Man (only for Nightcrawler presence)]

andreww154

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Agree with Corey - this was a five star issue for me too. Great story by Bendis. I've been a fan of Asrar since Ultimate X-Men (nice symetery there). He really fits the book considering the roster of other regular artists.

Beast's question to the new mutant followed by the collective "What?", "What?", "What?" was super hilarious.

...and love the Agents of SHIELD variant cover!

Avatar image for deactivated-5a162dd41dd64
    deactivated-5a162dd41dd64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 100

User Lists: 6

@akindoodle said:

@danhimself said:

Another one of those? We already have Ariel.

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@squares said:

@danhimself said:

@akindoodle said:

@danhimself said:

Another one of those? We already have Ariel.

she can go to alternate realities? I thought her power was simple teleportation

primebonnick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By primebonnick

Fun issue no lie and i like miles so that was a plus and him interacting with these guys makes me want more.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a162dd41dd64
    deactivated-5a162dd41dd64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 100

User Lists: 6

@danhimself: Simple teleportation?

At any rate, she has on at least two occasions opened doorways to other dimensions.

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@squares said:

@danhimself: Simple teleportation?

At any rate, she has on at least two occasions opened doorways to other dimensions.

well yeah pretty much just simple teleportation...I mean she can open doorways to other places inside doorways to anywhere...I don't really think there's anything special about that

other dimensions but has she gone to other realities?

ForeverMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By ForeverMan

I enjoyed it overall, but the art was weird in parts to me. There are a couple panels right near the start where X-23 looks far more enraged than the story and dialog portray her.

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 64

#24  Edited By Teerack

This was a great issue. I'm really loving the Laura and Warren pairing. I'm curious to see where this story goes. I just hope that none of them gets left behind in 1610, because I just kind of dropped all the Ultimate Universe stuff I followed after the AoU aftermath ruined it all so I'm going to feel weird about one of my 616 books changing to an Ultimate book. I wish this book released two issues a week, because I really love it. The house of M Cameo was awesome to.

The cover of this issue is super random and makes me wonder if Bendis changed his original story plans.

I'm really crossing my fingers that Kitty Pryde will get to see an image of 1610 Kitty Pryde in this suit and copy it.

No Caption Provided

It's not only my favorite Kitty Pryde outfit it's one of my favorite super hero costumes ever.

Anyone that's going to quote/respond me telling me that Bendis sucks and I shouldn't liked X-23 dating Angel do my a huge favor and don't. I like what I like and if you don't like it don't push that on me. It seems to happen every time I comment on this books reviews.

owie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#25 owie  Moderator

@teerack said:

This was a great issue. I'm really loving the Laura and Warren pairing. I'm curious to see where this story goes. I just hope that none of them gets left behind in 1610, because I just kind of dropped all the Ultimate Universe stuff I followed after the AoU aftermath ruined it all so I'm going to feel weird about one of my 616 books changing to an Ultimate book. I wish this book released two issues a week, because I really love it. The house of M Cameo was awesome to.

The cover of this issue is super random and makes me wonder if Bendis changed his original story plans.

I'm really crossing my fingers that Kitty Pryde will get to see an image of 1610 Kitty Pryde in this suit and copy it.

No Caption Provided

It's not only my favorite Kitty Pryde outfit it's one of my favorite super hero costumes ever.

Anyone that's going to quote/respond me telling me that Bendis sucks and I shouldn't liked X-23 dating Angel do my a huge favor and don't. I like what I like and if you don't like it don't push that on me. It seems to happen every time I comment on this books reviews.

Then I'll make your day and say I agree with you :)

@kivatt said:

Can someone tell me the Nate Grey reference meaning. I don't get it

Yeah I didn't see why that would be such a hilarious comment either.

mickeymayhew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

the new art isn't all that; what happened to the days when only the best got to draw the X-books?!

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.