inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

Edited By inferiorego  Staff

The Good

The whole idea for this story is utterly ridiculous, but because of how Gladiator is acting in this story and particularly within this issue, it really works. I find myself loving how Brian Michael Bendis is writing this character. Gladiator is crazy, in the best way possible. He's incredibly pompous and arrogant, and his "my way or the highway" attitude is something I find incredibly appealing about this book.

The dialogue, throughout the issue, really shines and there's little moments that really grab the reader in, like when Scott is talking to his father. While we've seen Cyclops and Corsair together before, we've never seen the younger Cyclops with his father, in this manner, so it actually brings a new dynamic to this book and to the team.

Jean's journey is the most intriguing one here though. She may not say much, but she still struggles and it all shows through the art of Stuart Immonen.There is a beautiful, two-page layout, which really puts the reader inside the mind of Jean and what she's going through, while adjusting to this very new, very alien world. The layout is odd, but in a good way, and the overall art is fantastic. Immonen delivers some top-notch art here that is incredibly consistent throughout the issue. Along with that is the inking of Marte Gracia, who always does some great work.

The Bad

The problem with this issue and story as a whole is that it feels like something is missing. Something feels wrong here, and at this time, I can't tell if it was planned this way or Bendis just forgot something. Yes, that's incredibly vague.

The Verdict

The Trial of Jean Grey is a really bizarre story that somehow really works. We're coming to a close here, but the story continues to be a ton of fun. This issue in particular has some really amazing moments thanks to Bendis and Immonen just giving the reader a great story. Above everything else, Gladiator is the star of the show, but only because he comes off extremely irrational. This was a story line I thought I would hate but ended up loving. Overall, I highly recommend this issue.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

#1  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

Something's not right with Glads, he's acting really weird considering his kid is at an X-Men school and he was basically licking the Avengers boots for saving his ass at the end of infinity.

Spideysense44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 8

i agree this book does feel like it missing something but its still a great read

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 64

I kind don't like how the story ignores all that happened to Gladiator in INFINITY. It doesn't make sense for him to do this now after all that just happened.

CheeseSticks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Something's not right with Glads, he's acting really weird considering his kid is at an X-Men school and he was basically licking the Avengers boots for saving his ass at the end of infinity.

@teerack said:

I kind don't like how the story ignores all that happened to Gladiator in INFINITY. It doesn't make sense for him to do this now after all that just happened.

Bendis happen.

Avatar image for FeedOnATreeFrog
    feedonatreefrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By feedonatreefrog

I dropped All New X-Men after the cluster-F that was BOTA.

Is it worth picking up again? Is there any decent character development or is it just more crazy plots?

PhoenixEgg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

"This story doesn't make any sense. I give it 5 stars out of 5."

Ok, reviewer guy.

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 64

@cheesesticks: Yeah I know. I wish he cared just a little about other peoples stories so that everyone of his amazing stories wouldnt have a little bit of sour in it.

sparty-dbq

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By sparty-dbq

I dropped All New X-Men after the cluster-F that was BOTA.

Is it worth picking up again? Is there any decent character development or is it just more crazy plots?

I shoulda joined you, man. The bottom fell out on this book for me after BotA. I would've dropped it already, but I just have to get the whole story with this GotG crossover, don't I? But now I can finally cut it loose.

And to your second point, this issue is really only enjoyable because of the Guardians. Which is funny, considering the last Guardians issue was more X-Men focused.

akbogert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 31

So Mat said "The problem with this issue and story as a whole is that it feels like something is missing." Earlier today I wrote "I can’t put my finger on what, but something is missing here." Unfortunate that neither of us can place it but it's kind of cool to see someone say the same thing.

cobra88king8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

@feedonatreefrog: Honestly the stuff immediately after BOA is worth picking up

What this issue , and by extension story, is missing is a real villain. Gladiator has been a good guy for too long at this point for anyone to buy him being the main antagonist of this plot. It's going to be the same problem everyone's going to have when Ronan becomes a villain again because Guardians of the Galaxy is coming out. They've been good guys for several big events and it just feels wrong to see them on the opposite side of the heroes.

Avatar image for madeinbangladesh
    MadeinBangladesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

User Lists: 172

this has been good but not nothing spectacular or anything

The_Titan_Lord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nice.

Jphu8414

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Jphu8414

5 stars is a bit much, would have given it a 3/3.5

I can't really place my thoughts exactly but this whole Trial of Jean Grey storyline has been really of to me. Still the issue was pretty enjoyable to read, action was cool, artwork was good.

Avatar image for devourerofworlds
    devourerofworlds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Don't understand why Gladiator would be portrayed in this arrogant way. even before the humbling events of Infinity he was always a pretty level-headed, understanding and compromising guy. I like it when characters change because of events but I liked Gladiator as the bad ass he was

Avatar image for themanintheshoe
    TheManInTheShoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 17

#16  Edited By TheManInTheShoe

God, I love the art!

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

#17 inferiorego  Staff

"This story doesn't make any sense. I give it 5 stars out of 5."

Ok, reviewer guy.

That's not what I said at all. Read the review.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 32

@jonny_anonymous said:

@teerack said:

Bendis happen.

I'm hoping it's more than that, like maybe something is affecting Glad's thoughts. Another psychic entity that has it out for Jean perhaps? I'm not sure.

MakkyD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#19  Edited By MakkyD

@jonny_anonymous: I was actually thinking, there must be some ulterior motive to the way Gladiator is acting.

MakkyD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@jonny_anonymous: I was actually thinking, there must be some ulterior motive to the way Gladiator is acting.

CheeseSticks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

owie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#22 owie  Moderator

It's funny, I liked this issue, but I also exactly agree with the "Bad" part.

Avatar image for deactivated-611928878d365
    deactivated-611928878d365

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Damn, I loved Infinity because all of the alien races joined forces. Now, they're acting like squabbling children and have reverted back to their old ways. The Galactic War Council was such an interesting idea and I was hoping that the Kree and Skrulls would develop a bit more than "we hate you, you must die!" Gladiator has done so much to help the Avengers, even defending Earth when he didn't need to. Now he's putting a time-displaced Jean Grey on trial for crimes that she didn't even commit yet? I hope the Phoenix doesn't come back. That stories been done too much.

DrLove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By DrLove

THIS ^^^. If this story was done 2-3 years from now it would have made more sense. Infinity JUST happened and so did Kid Glad going back to the xmen school. Makes no sense for this to happen this fast.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.