All-New X-Men #16

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck

Seriously, you want to read X-MEN: BATTLE OF THE ATOM #1 first. It's Part 1. And it's really really good. See the review HERE.

The Good

This week marks the beginning of a new event for the X-Men. The great thing about it is once you read the first part (in BATTLE OF THE ATOM), you don't have to wait another week for part 2 since that happens here.

Without giving any of the specifics away, this issue does pick up after Part 1. We do see Cyclops' team after what just happened with them. This issue also contains the actual appearance and the meat of the future X-Men explaining why they're in the present. We may have seen future and alternate versions of the team before but it never gets old, at least not for me. There's something cool about seeing possible future versions of characters we know or ones we don't know yet. It's a dramatic entrance and you'll be on the edge of your seat, hanging onto every word.

Stuart Immonen does what we've been loving since the series started. It's great seeing his take on the newer versions and seeing how they interact. Brian Michael Bendis may set the story up but Immonen brings it to life. Seeing the expressions on certain characters as they see their possible future selves is priceless.

And if you're worrying about the different parts being filler, this one sure isn't. Wait until you see the twist/reveal at the end. Woo!

The Bad

The action sort of kicks right in. Yes, that could and should be a good thing but it's felt like this has been slowly building up throughout the series and now suddenly the problem must be dealt with. The future X-Men give a reason but of course we can't help but be slightly skeptical. Is there some flaw in their reasoning and methods or is there more to come?

The twist at the end felt out of place. We have a big secret being kept and then suddenly it's, "Oh by the way, this is the reason we did this one thing."

The Verdict

Like many others, I'm not a fan of the big crossovers that keep popping up right after one ends or at the same time as another one. When you get a story like this, one full of fun and excitement, you can't help but be on board. Brian Michael Bendis has been plotting out this story about the time-displaced X-Men for the past 16 issues. Now it all comes to a head with the force of a charging bull. Stuart Immonent is on hand to bring the story to life. You'll have to take time to take in every little detail and depiction of expression on each page.

It's a new X-Men event but this is off to a tremendous start. Reading this story reminds me of that feeling when I was a kid and first started reading X-Men comics. There's a sense of wonder and excitement. I am completely on board with this.

ptigrusmagus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I'm willing to accept Forever Evil, Infinity, and Battle of the Atom all going on at once... If they're great. Earlier this year I got skunked out by the subpar (imo) Green Lantern stuff buy at least Trinity War was a super lead in and Infinity has been building since Avengers 1 and New Avengers 1 so it feels natural. Can't wait to pick up X-Men tomorrow!!

JamDamage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By JamDamage

@ptigrusmagus:

I'm not a fan of cosmic comic books, but I've been reading Avengers for so long I can't just drop it now. I'm enjoying the Hickman run so far. I didn't read his run on FF, and the only FF I've ever read was Millars run on Ult. FF and I loved it. Still tho. I figured Hickman would get pretty sci-fi when it came to the Avengers, but with the raves he was getting on FF, I knew I had to stay. New Avengers is great, but pretty weird, and I've been reading comic long enough that everything comes together in the end. Like Morrison, Millar, Bendis, I know Hickman likes the many stories that turn into one, and that's what Infinity is supposed to be so I'm gonna read it. As for Forever Evil, who wouldn't be a little excited for it. It's Johns doing it. He's been a little flat on some titles lately, but the surprise of the bady in Trinity War being Alfred for the Crime Syndocate was a stunner. Also, after dropping the X-Men for so many years, and getting back on board with Second Coming, and only staying because of what Remender was doing with X-Force, I was ecstatic when I heard Bendis was doing 2 X-Men titles. I'm a huge Bendis fan. I tried to hate him, like a lot of people do, but he's just so good. Ult. S.M. is insanely good, the Avenger titles kept me hooked, but with the big switch in writers to other titles, I knew he'd be great for the X-Men, and he has. My favorite thing about Bendis on the X-Men titles, is coming on here and reading the reviews for his books, and seeing all the people change their minds about him and say how good the books are, even after they thought it would be crap, JUST BECAUSE it's Bendis. I was the same way years ago, and tha's how I reacted. I hate events, but it is an excititing time right now.

blackkitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I just get to the point where I have to say... why? I feel when the X-Men joined the Avengers these books were just completely ruined. It's like we're just piling books with characters who are popular cause people will buy it, and it seems to be working. So, sadly I've dropped all X-Men, Avengers and FF books.

Dabee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Anyone know if I have to have been keeping up with All-New X-Men to start this event?

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

@dabee: Did you read AVENGERS VS X-MEN? Do you know about the split with Cyclops' team being seen as terrorists? Do you know why the younger X-Men were brought to the present? If so, you're good.

PeppeyHare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

I just get to the point where I have to say... why? I feel when the X-Men joined the Avengers these books were just completely ruined. It's like we're just piling books with characters who are popular cause people will buy it, and it seems to be working. So, sadly I've dropped all X-Men, Avengers and FF books.

Why? Because people like the stories...?

Hawkguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Hawkguy

@jamdamage: I'm one of those people. No matter how much I've tried to slag Bendis he's won me over with his ANXMen... I'm dropping Infinity and Avengers tomorrow to hop on to the Battle of the Atom bus, as well as his two other X books.

Dabee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@g_man said:

@dabee: Did you read AVENGERS VS X-MEN? Do you know about the split with Cyclops' team being seen as terrorists? Do you know why the younger X-Men were brought to the present? If so, you're good.

Alright cool, I'll pick it up then. Thanks a lot!

saoakden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

Looking forward to reading this.

cobra88king8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#10  Edited By cobra88king8

Well that reveal at the end was . . . Something. It did feel kind of cheap though, I mean who else would they reveal to get that sort of reaction out of fans.

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

that last page!!!!

Lokheit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Lokheit

Cliffhangers are usually not very original nowadays, but in this case it was a great one.

Btw, I'm disliking young Jean more and more. Because last issue she kissed Hank, she tries first to convince him, then when she fails she manipulates Scott because she know's how much he loves her saying they're in this "together" when she just showed he is her "plan b". And this is all because she has fear of her destiny and is selfish enough to sacrifice all reallity so she doesn't die... The "I can't read them" excuse was her trying to justify her actions (though if at the end the future team shows the secret, I don't know why they blocked it in the first place).

simple_man815

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lokheit: Yeah, I liked young Jean less with each issue of this series.

Scantenii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Scantenii

I am more interested in this event after reading this chapter. Its about time...

timelord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I love Ice Man's new look. I all was thought he was one of the stronger mutants now he looks like it.

Jenkale

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

@danhimself: what was so special about the last page? just a guy and his dog on the beach. is he someone important?

Jenkale

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

the real jean is back (even though its only for this issue). she is my fav character PERIOD, x-man, marvel or dc she is IT so was just staring at that page for the longest time even went back to it after finishing the issue. saw it coming a mile away but still glad to see it. hope she stays/gets trapped in present day so she can be back for real this time

kai200995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By kai200995

Well this issue is truly refreshing. Each character's dialogue is so distinctive. It's safe to say the future x-men in not an alternate future, and Young Cyclops barely surviving the last issue proved the O5 is really from the mainstream universe. I'm glad to see Adult Jean but she's from the future so I doubt that'd be her official revival, and why is she young and adult kitty is old? Young Jean isn't manipulative, she just saw her future husband die and Hank shrugged her off for science and Scott agreed so that's that.

Avatar image for thefirstlantern
    TheFirstLantern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

The reveal was something, I tell ya.

Osian2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

the real jean is back (even though its only for this issue). she is my fav character PERIOD, x-man, marvel or dc she is IT so was just staring at that page for the longest time even went back to it after finishing the issue. saw it coming a mile away but still glad to see it. hope she stays/gets trapped in present day so she can be back for real this time

Is this the real Phoenix Jean? Or is this O5 Jean as an adult come back in time?

CommanderShiro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

This issue was great. Loving Battle of the Atom so far

owie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#24 owie  Moderator

I mean, I like Jean so that was interesting to me, but for me the big reveal was Molly Hayes! :)

The_Titan_Lord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Great issue.

Avatar image for the_mighty_monarch
    The Mighty Monarch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1450

User Lists: 4

I feel like time travel should be a little more unstable during this event considering that they basically broke time like a month ago in the event written by the very same author.

KomicKev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By KomicKev

I like crossover stories. I like alternate timelines and universes, time travel, etc. As a long-time comic reader, it keeps things interesting. What I don't like is them having a separate title as part of the crossover. Comics are expensive enough as is these days. Infinite and Children of the Atom and so forth don't need their own title. These should be folded right into the on-goings. Granted, the comic companies need to make money so this is probably the way to go to get people interested, but I just don't think they are necessary.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.