johnkmccubbin91's All-New X-Men #13 review

Kitty's Pryde

This has been one of my favourite series in Marvel NOW!, and although it doesn't always deliver, having had some poor issues, it's still been very fun, and has kept me drawn in. I've also loved seeing the development of the younger X-Men in their new environment, and overall it's been a brilliant series.

Plot

As the X-Men go after Mystique's trail, Mystique herself has a meeting to attend, with none other than Madame Hydra.

Review

This was an excellent issue, and although it's not the best the series has produced, it's been the best in a long while, and isn't far behind the even better issues. Brian Michael Bendis has really got a handle on both X-Men series, and although on average his Uncanny X-Men's been better, this has been the one that's excited me the most time and time again. I've always lover the more fun based comics, as although the more serious tone of Uncanny's been working, when Bendis delivers on the fun, it really outweighs the serious. Bendis also really seems to understand character's, and more importantly character dialogue, as although you can argue that the actions of certain character's in his previous work has been out of character, it's hard to say that about their dialogue, and this was shown perfectly during this issue. There was also plenty of emotion in this issue, showing exactly how the character's felt, which was brilliant, and Bendis dialogue once again prevailed here. The action was also handled perfectly, with ton's of excitement, as well as adding drama, and suspense. There were also some other brilliant appearances from other character's that haven't yet featured in this series, as well as some mystery over what may happen later in this issue, or the next, which yet again adds suspense, as well a speculation.

The art in this issue was phenomenal, and this is probably the best art that Stuart Immonen has done all series. Don't get me wrong, his art is always great, but there have been times during this series where it has slipped in the detail department, and looked a little too rough. Anyway this wasn't the case this time, as the detail was near perfect, with very little imperfections. Immonen's layouts were also once again superb, and really added more depth, and drama to the issue, whilst also helping to set the tone. There were however two parts of Immonen's art that really stood out to me in this issue, and the first thing was his action sequences. They were nothing short of epic, and although the fights themselves weren't the best I've ever seen, it was hard to tell that when I saw Immonen's fabulous artwork. It was simply amazing, and really explosive, adding ton's of excitement, and suspense. The other thing that stood out to me in Immonen's art was the way he handled the character's facial expressions, especially during Kitty Pryde's small speech. Now Immonen usually does a great job at showing how the character's feel, but he did an outstanding job in this issue, as you could easily feel, let alone tell what the character's were feeling.

The start of this issue sees the continuation of how last issue ended, with the X-Men trying to track down Mystique by visiting Stark International, Mystique's last known location. Now I have felt that the whole Mystique story has went on a little too long without a great deal of proper development, and although it has been very suspenseful, I'd have liked something more to have happened before now. It did however go up a gear in this issue, which I was very glad about, and it looks like the story may be getting closer to it's conclusion. During the actual hunting of Mystique I loved how certain members of the younger X-Men (most notably Iceman) questioned Wolverine's abilities, which really added more humour to the issue.

Now the X-Men weren't the only ones that weren't happy with Mystique, as Lady Mastermind isn't happy with being kept out of the loop. This lead to a very interesting, and exciting discussion between Lady Mastermind, and Mystique, and the way it was handled was simply amazing. This also continued to show how Bendis is brilliant at writing dialogue, and creating friction, as although no physical fighting took place, there was a lot of harsh word slung about, and the way each character reacted to certain statements was brilliant, and the dramatic tone, along with the suspense really made this a tremendous sequence.

Lady Mastermind wasn't the only person that Mystique would have words with, as the arrival of Silver Samurai, as well as Madame Hydra would lead to a meeting between Mystique, and Madame Hydra. Now I won't go into details about this meeting, as to avoid spoilers, but I will give my thoughts on the sequence. To be honest it was no surprise that both Silver Samurai, and Madame Hydra would feature in a storyline sometime soon, as with them both going to feature in the upcoming film, The Wolverine, it was obvious that they'd make an appearance in a story, and more so a Wolverine story. I did however like that this was slightly subtle, with these character's not being the main villains, making it less obvious, and more natural. The words shared between Madame Hydra, and Mystique were also very interesting, and overall this was yet another brilliant sequence from this issue.

This issue would also show the reactions of both Mystique's group, and the X-Men over Havok's speech in Uncanny Avengers #5, where he talked about not wanting to be branded a mutant. Now I could talk about this for ages, but I'll shorten it down to my favourite part, the reaction from Kitty Pryde. Now Kitty has been one of my favourite female character's for a while now, as well as my favourite female X-Man. Basically she states how she's proud to be a mutant, and why, and that Havok isn't talking for her. Now there was a lot more to this than just that, but I felt it best not to mention, as it's a nice surprise to read. Anyway it was very emotional, and moving, as although she was neither upset whilst telling her tale, nor make others upset whilst telling it, she was getting a point across, and trying to inspire the younger X-Men, which was brilliant, and overall the sequence was handled perfectly.

Final Verdict

Although this wasn't the best issue in this series it wasn't far behind, and was one of the better issues to have been told during this story. It had excitement, and suspense, whilst also having drama, and action, which were all brilliant. It was however the emotions, and passion of a certain character that made this issue brilliant for me, and overall the issue was amazing, and I hope it continues to be like this in the next issues. Due to this I'd easily recommend this issue, and the series so far, as although it's had it's moments, it's overall been outstanding, and very fun.

Rating: 5/5

Posted by Cyclops4President

Great review. Highly informative and detailed.

Posted by Raw_Material

Is this the start of a new story arc? I have the urge to jump in on this title, but feel that I'm already behind. What issues should I get starting from right now? I'm gonna get the trade of the first story arc next time I go to my LCS.

Posted by johnkmccubbin91

@raw_material: Sorry for the late reply. No it isn't but issue 15 looks to be a good jumping on point.

Posted by johnkmccubbin91

@raw_material: No problem, and again sorry for the late reply (new notification system can be a pest at times).

Posted by johnkmccubbin91

@raw_material: I'd recommend Messiah Complex, and Second Coming (not read a lot of X-Men stories so couldn't recommend many more). Dark Phoenix Saga was also good, but I feel it's a bit overrated.

@cyclops4president: It probably is, just thought I'd say issue 14 in case he didn't want many back issues.

Edited by Cyclops4President

@johnkmccubbin91: @raw_material Executioners Song is also a great story. I am a HUGE X-Men fan and this is one, albeit a little from the past, but still very good story.

I doubt issue 12 and 13 have gone up at all in price yet, so that would be $12 bucks to really kinda understand whats up with these kids through issue 14. Or, I guess he could just read the reviews of these issues and get the jist of it and start with issue 14 like you said.

Edited by johnkmccubbin91

@cyclops4president: Not read that one myself.

I meant start at 15 (not 14) as that's the start of a new story.

Posted by johnkmccubbin91

@raw_material: Some of the films have been awesome, and Wolverine is the best character in the films and series (though Cyclops4President wouldn't agree, obviously).

Edited by Raw_Material

@johnkmccubbin91 said:

Lol, I'm with you on that..

Edited by Cyclops4President

@johnkmccubbin91: Actually, I DO agree with you. Despite the obvious, Cyclops has NOT been represented well AT ALL in the X-Men movies. When he died at the hands of that ugly a$$ lady who claimed to be Jean Grey but was more like Jean Grey's Great Great Grandma (I mean, how old was that lady!), I almost left the theatre. I understand the cinema is going to represent characters differently than how they really are in the comics. They need to sell tickets. Wolverine is a headliner, and I have absolutely loved Hugh Jackman as the Wolverine throughout the movies, and WOULD agree he is best depicted IN THE FILMS and that is why he has 2 solo movies and my boy Cyclops has 0. (sad face)

Posted by Cyclops4President

@raw_material: @johnkmccubbin91: Maybe you can start on issue 15. There is enough data on my reviews and Johns reviews of this series to bring you up to speed.

Posted by Raw_Material

@cyclops4president: Lol, tbh that's wat I was thinking too! Maybe start at #15 then go from there. Time's has also been helping me get my list of trades for the X-Men comics. looking forward to jumping onboard the X-Men series! I dropped lots of on-going and "soon-to-be cancelled" series so that I could fit at least 3-4 X-Men titles in the mix of my pull list.

Posted by Cyclops4President

@raw_material: sweet idea. What series are "soon to be cancelled" that you know of. I might drop them too if I know they are going to be canceled. What on-going series did you drop?

Posted by Raw_Material

@cyclops4president: Well, I pretty much dropped quite a few GL titles including Red Lanterns, GL Corps, and Threshold which is gonna be getting cancelled in August. I've kept New Guardians in my pull cause I like the concept of the series and Green Lantern cause Hal returned. If that wasn't happening I was gonna drop the main GL series and probably a lot more people as well which is why I believe they brought him back from the Dead Zone in the first place. I think Johns gave them a decision before he left, either to kill off the long-time hero or bring him back to life and I think Robert Vendetti made the right choice in reviving him so that he could expand on Hal's story. Couple other titles I dropped were Deathstroke and Hawkman, not necessarily dropped but removed from the pull list due to it being cancelled. I'll most likely finish both series off though. And IIRC Daredevil and The Punisher are also getting cancelled soon too. This is about 8 series off my pull list so far and I think I have more series that I'm letting go, just can't think of them ATM.

Posted by johnkmccubbin91

@cyclops4president: Cyclops was a joke in the films, and although I agreed with them focusing on Wolverine, they should have also focused a bit more on Cycke, as even Iceman was better used than him, and he wasn't perfectly portrayed either.

@raw_material: If you are getting any other X-Men series I'd recommend the X-Men series by Wood from either the start or issue 4, and Uncanny X-Men from issue 8, as well as Wolverine and the X-Men from the start of either Hellfire Club or Battle of the Atom (as it'll be key for that crossover).

I may not be entirely up to scratch on the older X-Men stuff, but I know my stuff since Messiah Complex, and especially since Marvel NOW! : )

Posted by Cyclops4President

@johnkmccubbin91: I do agree. cyke was the first student and first X-Man, and he does have super cool powers for the big screen with his optic blast. I don't know why they missused him and iceman. really grinds my gears just thinking about it.

Posted by johnkmccubbin91

@cyclops4president: Yes they did, and there were probably also others if I think (like Jean at the end, she was alright to start with, but sucked as the Phoenix).

Posted by Cyclops4President

I HATED JEAN GREY in the movies. I thought she was totally MISCAST! There were so many other actors, especially younger actors, that would have been much better as Jean. I mean, Cyclops and Jean Grey were soul mates, I saw no chemistry between James Marsden and Famke Janssen. First, she seemed old enough to be Cyclops' mom! She is freekin 50 years old now! Second of all, she is 3 inches taller than James. Famke is a giant woman at 6 feet tall and James is only 5'10", Which Cyclops is 6'3" and Jean is only 5'7" or 5'8". I did like the casting for Cyclops in James, but maybe even Brandon Routh who played Superman would have been better because of the height. I think Danneel Harris is actually the better choice for the role of Jean Grey. She is younger, more fitting physically, and could do more movies before she was eligible for her AARP membership!

Posted by johnkmccubbin91

@cyclops4president: I didn't mind her in the first two, though I agree on the age part, though she was terrible in the third, and I dread to see what she'll be like in Wolverine. To be honest I don't think either Marsen or Routh would be a good pick, as although they have the serious tone, they haven't got the acting skills or charisma around ladies that Cycke needs around Jean (or Emma if they went that way). I don't know who'd be a great Jean. Like Cycke I can think of a few better options that who were cast, but wouldn't be sure whether they'd be perfect or not.

Edited by lykopis

Oops, I talked about Kitty's speech in your following review after this issue -- sorry -- and I had a slightly different reaction to you but still enjoyed what she had to say despite that.

Enjoyable review.

Edited by johnkmccubbin91

@lykopis: I'm slightly confused, but I believe everything will be okay (I have an idea what you meant, but I don't know what you're oops was for?)

Edited by lykopis

@johnkmccubbin91:

I had talked about Kitty's speech in another review you had for All New (the one following this issue) so that was what the "oops" was for. :P

Edited by johnkmccubbin91

@lykopis: Fair enough, I thought that but wasn't entirely sure.