Follow

All-New X-Factor

Volume »

X-Factor is a new group of mutants founded by Serval Industries.

All-New X-Factor #2

undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Edited By undeadpool

The Good

Last issue was a delight if for no other reason than it reinvented one of my favorite teams of the last decade with their original writer bringing his trademark voice to the proceedings. Peter David has taken a very different look at X-Factor and re-imagined them as a corporately sponsored team of do-gooders righting the wrongs of science. This issue brings back some characters we last saw when Quicksilver was on his Terrigen CrystalsRepowering Mutants tour (that usually ended with various unfortunate explosions), but as someone who barely knew them before their brief appearance there, David does a great job of instantly contextualizing what they’re all about AND how they wound up there while planting plenty of seeds for future interactions between the groups. He also does a great job keeping the tone light and breezy, having Gambit be the main focus and voice of the issue to give it some grounding and working with an absolutely amazing economy. The banter between Quicksilver and Gambit is absolutely top-notch.

SPEAKING of top-notch, Carmine Di Giandomenico turns it ALL the way up in this issue, which is absolutely wall-to-wall action. Especially worth noting are the panels featuring Quicksilver because, and I can’t believe I didn’t notice it sooner, the glowing spots on his costume leave trails to illustrate his path. This saves on having to draw him multiple times, but still creates an absolutely incredible sense of speed that allows for the panels to still prominently feature other characters. The effect is quite striking and beautiful, but that’s also due to Lee Loughridge’s searing colors. This book trades in a lot of very extreme, incredibly bright colors but is never overwhelming and the contrasts between light and dark are beautifully pronounced.

The Bad

This issue ends very, VERY abruptly. Practically mid-sentence. It feels like, and last time I had this instinct I was correct, so it’s quite possible, that there was a page excised to meet a count after the fact. Whether or not that’s the case, there’s a very real feeling of ANDNOWTHEISSUE’SOVER by the last page.

The Verdict

It’s interesting and rare to see a story arc, especially an introductory one, wrap in two issues. Last page aside, we were introduced to an all-new villain with a very interesting plan, we got to know the team, became reacquainted with some old friends, fin. It’s a great, low-risk barrier to entry for a title that I think has all the potential in the world to continue the fine legacy of previous X-Factor stories. More importantly, it places just enough pressure on the creative team to keep the pace going at a brisk rate, but to not scrimp on little character moments that will help define the future relationships both in and out of the team. It's a great start to what will hopefully be a great series.

Avatar image for g_money_christmas
    G_Money_Christmas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I am excited to see what score this gets on CBR. Last issue you gave it a 5/5 and CBR gave it a 1/5 so I'm excited to see how much opinions differe again.

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

completely agree with the abrupt ending...I thought my issue was messed up

dreamfall31

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Loving the cover art...I may have to pick this up!

judasnixon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

A.I.M. is in everything week.......

Avatar image for fallschirmjager
    Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 16

Still kind of iffy about the art though,.

caladbolglight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

User Lists: 0

I didn't really feel this issue, I don't know I've never really digged the "action-only" issues. At the same time, Peter David is excellent and I hope that this series is really gonna grow over the next few issues.

Maddpanda531

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Maddpanda531

Only two issues in and this is already one of my favorite series.

Avatar image for FeedOnATreeFrog
    feedonatreefrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By feedonatreefrog

MEH

iceslick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 83

#12  Edited By iceslick

@undeadpool: I totally agree with you on this issue. I loved it and much better than last issue. But it's ended too quickly and I was in complete shock that issue was over. I kept checking back and forth to see if I skipped anything. It felt like there was something more, but really wasn't. :-(

consafo80

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I enjoyed #1 and look forward to reading this but alas all Marvel comics are delayed to next week in the UK.

HumanRocket

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Not a bad issue. Never really had any exposure to Gambit Pietro and Polaris so it's been a pleasure so far to see the first members of the team take center stage. I like that were getting Gambit's perspective as he is the newest member of the team and I love how he got that Star Wars line with Pietro that was fun. I was debating to stick with the series or to stop it but this issue was full with action and each member of X-Factor brings a different sense of personality to the team and I enjoy that Polairs is taking charge of the team. I'm all in for this series.

mickeymayhew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By mickeymayhew

good, but the first issue was better

lykopis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By lykopis

I was a little disappointed with this issue. It felt a bit off - a beat behind and yes, the ending was ... confusing.

I am hanging in until the rest of the team gets involved. Hopefully these are just early issue bumps and things will go more smoothly. The seemingly random gathering of characters here will either work well, or fall flat. I shall wait and see.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.