inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

Edited By inferiorego  Staff

The Good

If you've read a Ghost Rider book in the past, you'll notice one giant, glaring difference about this series: it's unlike every other Ghost Rider series you've ever read. This isn't Danny Ketch or Johnny Blaze. This is a brand new Ghost Rider for a new generation of readers.

Writer Felipe Smith is doing quite a great job at really establishing the new rider, Robbie Reyes and the world he lives in, here in this issue. We see much more of Robbie than the rider, which is fine, since readers are really going to want to feel this character out right away.

Why is the rider inside of him? At this point, who cares? Smith's pacing makes you want to know the answers to this mystery while guiding you through Robbie's world. I'm fine with learning a bit more and more every issue rather than having the mystery just having everything spelled out for the reader, right away. This book keeps the reader invested.

The art by Tredd Moore and colors by Val Staples are what I really gravitate towards in this series. Moore's art style is very different and just a blast to look at. The expressions Tradd gets out of these characters is awesome, and his more cartoonish style is a great counter to some of the more depressing moments within this issue. Staples colors are bright and pop right off the the page. Her work really shines when the rider comes out, the oranges and yellows look great, and Moore's line work from the rider is a super cool effect as well.

The Bad

Everyone in this book, aside from Robbie, is a horrible person. Understandably, he comes from a rough area where there may be some less than outstanding citizens, but aside from Robbie's brother and the teacher, every single person in this issue walks the fine line between scumbag and dirtball. Also, the level of how horrible these people are is also pretty disturbing to the suspension of disbelief is completely dropped. The reader can accept the fact the story is building slowly. They can accept the fact Tradd Moore's art is a step away from house style, but it's hard to accept the fact people are this awful, all the time.

The Verdict

Yes, everyone in Robbie's life is the worst person imaginable. They're thugs, murderers, potential rapists, and folks you don't want to deal with. However, that's the only part of the issue that was problematic. We're still learning about Robbie and why he is now the Ghost Rider. This issue, while a bit depressing, is still a ton of fun. Moore's and Staples' art really shines here and this is quickly becoming one of my top Marvel series, which is saying a lot since they're putting out quite a few great books. Overall, I highly recommend this issue.

Avatar image for scarlet_spider_forever
    Scarlet_Spider_Forever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Really dumb on your " Bad " part. Most of the people are criminals, and thugs in that kind of neighborhood in real life. And the art style? Its the thing that makes the book All New Ghost Rider. Please stop complaining about such small things like that.

eamon542000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Really enjoyed this issue and as for everyone besides Robbie being the scum of the earth, I hope that will work in this books favor. Ghost Rider to me is the idea of punishing the wicked with wickedness, but hopefully some more likeable characters show up as their is very little in they way of supporting cast for this book thus far.

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

It's supposed to be really dark it's a Ghost Rider book lol

Maddpanda531

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I might pick this up. Maybe. I couldn't stand the art, at first. But it's kinda grown on me after reading previews. And I'm always a sucker for a teenaged superhero story.

Captain13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By Captain13

This series is so good, sooo underrated. Tradd Moore is awesome.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a162dd41dd64
    deactivated-5a162dd41dd64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 100

User Lists: 6

Really dumb on your " Bad " part. Most of the people are criminals, and thugs in that kind of neighborhood in real life. And the art style? Its the thing that makes the book All New Ghost Rider. Please stop complaining about such small things like that.

Yeah, pretty much what I was going to say.

InkInk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I love this books style I'm having troubles thinking of anything like it. Here is hoping in a few issues Robbie can meet Johnny.

Avatar image for thecheesestabber
    TheCheeseStabber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

Felt pacing was to jumpy liked it alot tohugh

ClawFist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ghost Rider and Ms. Marvel are my GO TO All-New titles. So Awesome! :D

Avatar image for avengers_4everxx
    Avengers_4everXX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This series wasn't even on my radar until I read the review for the first issue, which piqued my interest enough for me to pick it up. I loved it. Never in the almost decade I've been reading comics did I ever think I would read a Ghost Rider book, but Felipe Smith and Robbie Reyes have changed my mind for the better

staypuffed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

I liked the first issue but I don't really feel excited enough to keep reading.

Referee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Referee

It's news like this that makes me cry I no longer collect

Hawkguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This issue was amazing. Tradd Moore makes this book so damn epic I really hope he stays on it for a long long long time. My favorite title coming out of All-New Marvel NOW

InFamous_Wolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

I am sooo hyped for this issue

iceslick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 83

@inferiorego: Believe it or not Mat, people are that cruel especially in NYC. I used to live in The Bronx as a kid and it always that bad. I used to jumped all time going to school and cops wouldn't care, they just kept blaming me because I was supposedly the one causing the trouble. So, I had to train in Martial Arts classes to defend myself. That's why just a year ago me and my entire moved out to different parts Queens. Because Queens is the safer part of NYC.

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@daredevil21134 said:

It's supposed to be really dark it's a Ghost Rider book lol

So what'd you think?

I loved this issue! :)

I haven't read it yet bro

patrat18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I'm loving this book alot.

Senorbiz88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@scarlet_spider_forever: being q criminal does not make you a bad person or a potential rapist. Mist if the people in that lifestyle are just unfortunate

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theacidskull: I will tell you what I think when I read it.Feel free to post in my Daredevil discussion thread as well

Avatar image for misternefarious
    MisterNefarious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By MisterNefarious

@maddpanda531: I dunno, I just read Issue 1 and didn't think it felt like a "teenaged super hero" story. Robbie felt very adult. He's certainly younger, more prone to fly off the rails, but he also has a maturity to him.

I already like him a lot.

I always loved his design from the minute it was released, but the art was a bit much to swallow. It has since grown on me a bit, and I'm very ready to accept Robbie as an exciting new addition to the mythos.

jjayduarte

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By jjayduarte

Never really expected this series to be this much fun. Even though its on the second issue, this and Ms. Marvel are becoming my favorites of the All-New Marvel now. Glad to Marvel trying new characters with Robbie and Kamala. Also glad too see them mention my small town of Palmdale.

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 64

#25  Edited By Teerack

Shitty people in a shitty place who knew? I think it's more of a sheltered life thing to think that there aren't a ton of scummy people like that in the bad parts of the country. The art is the best thing about the book so I'm shocked that would be labeled as a bad.

CovertAvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Awesome book, great art. Although, I was expecting Jon Lovitz to show up as the substitute #highschoolhigh

Extremis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 55

I have to admit, I went from psyched to skeptical with this book before it came out. Two issues in, and I'm firmly set up in the "psyched" camp.

This book is great, and that art is unbelievably good. Tradd Moore is definitely a rising star. One of my new favorite artists out there.

the_tree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 14

#29  Edited By the_tree

This is a really fun book, made even better by Tradd Moore's art.

I really liked the end, can't wait to see more with the haunted car.

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

I was a bit disappointed in this issue.The first issue was better and had something more unique in it than this one and also Tradd Moore's art is something that I don't like at all.

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

I totally disagree with the dirtbag points. For me it's a draw and explores places that comics usually ignore. The art go way to far at times. Instead of accentuating certain scenes it take away from the book. I realize DC and especially Marvel have been trying to experiment with certain books but they would really do better if they toned the art style down for this one. It's ok in most places but that scene where that roofied girl started smashing the guys who did it to her was an example of too far.

Avatar image for thewalkingdeadpool18
    thewalkingdeadpool18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I love this series. I'm still completely against Ghost Rider in the MU but i still see the poteniol in the character and the series hasn't gotten to the point of showing off Ghost Rider but it sure makes you love the character behind Ghost RIder. I agree with your point of the scumbags. What people don't seem to understand is it got to the point of disbelief. I'm in high school i know dirtbags maybe not to the extent of this book but i know dirtbags (dirtbags as in jerks) but there is always people in the room not a jerk unless you're going to a specific jerk place. School is not one of them it will be filled with jerks but still good people as well. Look at the classroom scene and point to someone whose not doing something their not suppose to. Whether it's playing video games in class making out with in class, beating up some other kid, stealing, the only ones not doing anything just happen to be pregnant trying to still make them seem like thugs for being pregnant while a teen.

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

#33 inferiorego  Staff

@teerack said:

Shitty people in a shitty place who knew? I think it's more of a sheltered life thing to think that there aren't a ton of scummy people like that in the bad parts of the country. The art is the best thing about the book so I'm shocked that would be labeled as a bad.

I know it's a month later, but I typically avoid the comment section for reasons like this.

You're both telling me that within a bad neighborhood, every single person is a criminal? I've lived in rough areas of Chicago with Puerto Rican and Mexican gangs fighting over territory where we all played the game "gunshot or firework" on a nightly basis. The neighborhood, as a whole, along with most "bad" neighborhoods in the world isn't chalk full of criminals and deadbeats. There's good people within each hood, in fact, quite a few of them. It's the gangs and criminals that give each place their rep and they're a small percentage of the people living there. I've been robbed, had a gun pointed to my head (twice), bottles thrown at me, and seen violence on numerous occasions in my time on the west side of Chicago and east side of Aurora. However, the good far outweighs the bad.

Normally, I wouldn't give a resume of where I lived, but two people essentially coming to the conclusion I don't know anything about bad neighborhoods seemed to warrant it, especially when you call someone sheltered based on a line or two of writing.

Also, teerack, I never once said the art was bad.

Good morrow

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 64

@inferiorego: Yeah because I said every single person is a criminal. I was saying it's realistic for there to be lots of scummy people in scummy places. Just because you want to generalize everyone as good or bad doesn't mean you can shoe horn that into my post. You understand what happens to people that don't join up with gangs and such in really bad places right? It's often be one of us or getting really hurt/killed.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.