gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck

The Good

When I first heard about a new Ghost Rider, one in a car, I had some reservations. My first real exposure to Ghost Rider was with Dan Ketch. Through him, I got to know Johnny Blaze as well. Alejandra's tenure as a Ghost Rider seemed too short-lived. Now it's time to meet Robbie Reyes.

I am definitely intrigued here.

Robbie lives in East L.A. That right there separates this from the core of the Marvel Universe. It immediately gives us a fresh feeling on the concept of the character without centering around New York City, where almost every other superhero lives. This gives us a chance to see a different type civilian persona in the comic. There's often a demand for diversity in comics and this just feels right, without seeming forced.

Robbie's life isn't so great. He's in a tough situation. That makes it immediately easy to want to root for him. As tough of a place he's in, he wants to do the right thing, by whatever means he has to. Felipe Smith does a great job in setting up this new corner of the Marvel Universe.

Tradd Moore's art really stands out here. Again, this doesn't feel like a typical Marvel comic. There's a raw energy that permeates the pages. The more I see of it here, the more I dig it. It's going to be a trip seeing this Ghost Rider in action.

The Bad

As fitting as the art feels here, it does take a little getting used to. The art is very stylized but sometimes the characters appear a little stretched. The locations are really cool but a couple felt a little sparse or too clean for a city street or garage. I'll have to get used to Ghost Rider's new look. He reminds me of a Cenobite from the Hellraiser movies and comics.

We get to see the arrival of the new Ghost Rider but it's a matter of waiting for the next issue for answers as to why and how. We can't have all the answers at once.

The Verdict

I wasn't sure if we needed another new Ghost Rider but after reading this issue, I'm sold. Felipe Smith and Tradd Moore give us exactly that, a NEW Ghost Rider. This isn't a Ghost Rider we've seen before. We get a new character from a different part of the Marvel Universe and it's all really cool to see. I've seen some have concerns over the art but the more you see, the more you'll agree it's fitting for this comic. There is a nice indie feel to this comic that, again, makes it feel different and fresh compared to past Ghost Rider stories. I like where this comic is going. I like it a lot.

iaconpoint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By iaconpoint

Anyone remember Ghost Rider 2099?

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

#3  Edited By gmanfromheck
    Sovereign91001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I dug this a lot, it'll be taking a permanent spot on my pulls.

Avatar image for shadowswordmaster
    ShadowSwordmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 13

I enjoy it to say at least.

iceslick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 83

User Lists: 0

@theacidskull: Nope, your the only one. I did feel the dialogue was a little weird. But it was a good thing it didn't make the book bad. I just felt this issue needed a little more dialogue.

@g_man: Good review Tony, I agree the art was kind of hard to get use to, but after a while, like the racing scene I started to like it. Robbie Reyes seems to be a very likable character in my books. I just hope the 2nd issue will have a little more dialogue.

ScrappyDont27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#7  Edited By ScrappyDont27

Still having a hard time on wether to get this

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

I never understand why the make new characters when they're nothing wrong with the old ones.Where the hell is Danny Ketch?

ClawFist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9  Edited By ClawFist

That ending, tho!

lol This was an awesome issue to an awesome new character. I had some alternate gripes that would make me rate this a four out of five myself, but this was straight awesome and I can't wait to read more from this creative team and their ALL-NEW GHOST RIDER! :D

Its on my pull-list for the foreseeable future!

Avatar image for thatlyn_yoaeg_ill_rymmin
    Thatlyn Yoaeg'ill'rymmin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@iaconpoint: Kenshiro "Zero" Cochrain, a.k.a. Ghost Rider 2099 *_* How can someone forget him? *_*

kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I never understand why the make new characters when they're nothing wrong with the old ones.Where the hell is Danny Ketch?

In the Ultimate Universe as Machine Man :p

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@daredevil21134 said:

I thought he was called The Ghost in Ultimate

Avatar image for thecheesestabber
    TheCheeseStabber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

I..I enjoyed this more than I ever thought possible o.o

MasterBelmont

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Glad to hear it. I've thought this series looked interesting for a while, and I'm glad it's off to a solid start. May have to check it out.

ClawFist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By ClawFist

@daredevil21134: Well I might not necessarily have an answer for you, but I can tell you how I feel personally. I'm glad they went with someone/something new and let me say why.

I've always loved the concept of the Ghost Rider, but in the 90's I was all over X-Men and Spider-Man, when I tried to get into Ghost Rider, I just couldn't do it back then. I like Johnny, I like Danny, but I always felt lost when trying to catch up with them. That's not to say they were entirely inaccessible to me, I read a lot of Daniel Way's and Jason Aaron's Ghost Rider stuff, and while a lot of that was cool (especially Ghost Riders: Heaven's on Fire) I always felt that hole that I just didn't know everything, that I couldn't be introduced into the Ghost Rider world if that makes sense.

In a way, I really think that's who Robbie is for, readers like me. I like the Ghost Rider world, but this really lets me be introduced to it in a new way with a very likable character. They've said Robbie isn't meant to replace anyone, and with that idea in mind I totally love his unique look and feel. Everything about Robbie is right up my alley. That said, Johnny is in Thunderbolts right now, and hopefully with Danny will show up somewhere, but for me and readers like me, Robbie is totally my Ghost Rider :D

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@clawfist said:

@daredevil21134: Well I might not necessarily have an answer for you, but I can tell you how I feel personally. I'm glad they went with someone/something new and let me say why.

I've always loved the concept of the Ghost Rider, but in the 90's I was all over X-Men and Spider-Man, when I tried to get into Ghost Rider, I just couldn't do it back then. I like Johnny, I like Danny, but I always felt lost when trying to catch up with them. That's not to say they were entirely inaccessible to me, I read a lot of Daniel Way's and Jason Aaron's Ghost Rider stuff, and while a lot of that was cool (especially Ghost Riders: Heaven's on Fire) I always felt that hole that I just didn't know everything, that I couldn't be introduced into the Ghost Rider world if that makes sense.

In a way, I really think that's who Robbie is for, readers like me. I like the Ghost Rider world, but this really lets me be introduced to it in a new way with a very likable character. They've said Robbie isn't meant to replace anyone, and with that idea in mind I totally love his unique look and feel. Everything about Robbie is right up my alley. That said, Johnny is in Thunderbolts right now, and hopefully with Danny will show up somewhere, but for me and readers like me, Robbie is totally my Ghost Rider :D

Good for you.But I rather read about Johnny or Danny solo's adventures XD

ClawFist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By ClawFist
    daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By daredevil21134
    kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#19  Edited By kidchipotle

@arturocalakayvee said:

@daredevil21134 said:

I thought he was called The Ghost in Ultimate

That was his code name when he was part of Fury's New Howling Commando's. As of Cataclysm, or I should say the end of it, he is the Ultimate Machine Man now.

Hawkguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Hawkguy

I've gotta say the art made it for me. It was so awesome and Tradd Moore does insanely good work. Need to make room for this on the pull

eamon542000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I get the feeling that this may end up being a more urban stylized version of the current Shadowman run(which is cool), anyone else get that vibe?

sparty-dbq

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Maybe I'm misjudging his age based on the art, but Gabe looks like he should be old enough to know that those sure as hell weren't "firecrackers" outside the house.

Speaking of which, is East LA still that f***ed up? Kinda thought there's been a big crackdown in that area over the last few years.

aeshipley1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I loved the art! This has been one of my favorites of the week so far. Still have a few more to finish but I thought it was a solid start and I already had it added to my pull list.

DangerMau5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theacidskull: i actually dug the dialog between the characters. more modern leaning into the more urban style of talking, it's not articulate... but it's cool i dug it. wasnt boring to me.

DangerMau5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@eamon542000: YES! i commented to someone who said "the dialog was unusual" and i said that EXACT THING! its more modern, urban style of talking and thats refreshing to me than the standard way of dialog flow in comics. im super on board for this.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

@sparty_dbq: Gabe is mentally handicapped, he doesn't know any better.

sparty-dbq

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jonny_anonymous: Oh. I guess I thought he was only physically disabled. Like, he has MS or something. Now that I think about it, he did seem a little overly-excited for a macaroni and cheese dinner.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

#29  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous
    lb70145

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

You can read Blaze in the Thunderbolts and I felt that Ketch was ruined by the whole Zadkiel thing. That said, I like where this new book is going.

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lb70145 said:

@daredevil21134 said:

You can read Blaze in the Thunderbolts and I felt that Ketch was ruined by the whole Zadkiel thing. That said, I like where this new book is going.

I rather read about Blaze in a solo. Sorry but i'm not cool with the original Ghost Rider having to share a title, while a brand new character gets a solo.And Ketch can still be redeemed .That said, enjoy the new series.

dangermart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By dangermart

'I've seen some have concerns over the art but the more you see, the more you'll agree it's fitting for this comic.' How very presumptuous, Mr G!

The art has energy, and Tradd Moore has his own style, yes, but I so don't like the art that I won't be back, so it's not going to grow on me. The bendy bodies and Robbie's creepy eyes even before he's Ghost Rider just put me off.

But good luck to the book, and Tradd, Felipe and the rest of the team, and nice one Marvel, for trying new things; I hope the book finds its audience, and a big one at that.

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

SavageDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

I really liked this. I will be getting the next several issues to see if im "in".

tomlikesfries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 106

There are still questions to be answered, but I really enjoyed this issue throughout. I quite like Moore's art, Luther Strode won me over. Seems like we're in for a fun ride (pun intended).

Xanthos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really liked this issue. The art style I am quite pleased with, and I will be picking up issue 2 when it drops.

Why the cops were only chasing this one guy still has me questioning.

Good work creators of this book

Avatar image for dantetheredknight
    DanteTheRedKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Wow I feel awkward...I mean other than the art, I didn't really like this issue...but I'm still going to wait for a few more issues to make a final decision

TwoFacedJoker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 313

@theacidskull: I gotta say, the dialogue is what ruined this for me. All of the characters were given no personalities other than tired stereotypes, and the art, though great for the racing scenes, were awkward and out of place when applied to the characters, giving them an anime look to them. And I like anime, but when applied to such lifeless characters, it feels forced (and the look on that kid over "Mac and Chee--se" [seriously? what was with that???] ... terrifying).

I had such high hopes for this, but I doubt I'll be getting the next one, despite the cliffhanger that certainly caught my attention if only for the one or two pages.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.