Follow

Alfred Pennyworth

Character » Alfred Pennyworth appears in 5533 issues.

Alfred Pennyworth is Bruce Wayne's loyal father figure and butler. Alfred raised Bruce (and later Dick Grayson) after the death of the Waynes. A former British secret agent, Alfred is a skilled surgeon who often treats members of the Bat-Family.

Question regarding The Dark Knight Returns

yankeemanf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By yankeemanf

Soo I am in the middle of the great graphic novel that I am reading for the first time and i am still wondering this. Am I the only who realizes that everyone in the book is older and it is set in the future but alfred has stayed the same age and is now younger than bruce and gordon?

.o0Johnny0o.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By .o0Johnny0o.

As a general rule the more iconic (or cynically, the more profitable) a character is the slower they age.  Yeah there's anachronisms aplenty (especially when dealing with 'in the future stuff') so it's artistic license.  When it comes to DKR I can't actually recall Alfred but I'm sure Miller would have wanted to play with that character.   Basically when it comes to Elseworlds, What if?'s or non-canon stuff, writers have been given the freedom to do anything continuity free and as a result time-lines and consistency gets thrown out.  My advice, just go with it, enjoy the ride!

Good taste in comics though (says the Bat fanboy)

Avatar image for emperor_gonzo_noir
    Emperor Gonzo Noir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 17

Alfred is about 90 in DKR, just as Bruce is now 60 and Gordon is about 78. 

yankeemanf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By yankeemanf
    @.o0Johnny0o.:  yea i kno what u mean but like idk i think the age is jus a lil wrong lol
    @Emperor Gonzo Noir: judging by the artwork alfred looks round 50 if that and bruce looks 60s or 70s and gordon looks 70s i cant see that alfred has aged one bit
    Emperor Gonzo Noir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@yankeemanf: His hairline has receded even further and his hair is completely gray
    yankeemanf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By yankeemanf
    @Emperor Gonzo Noir:  idk i dont see it ....i dont rele think the artwork is very very good in the novel but the story is great tho
    Emperor Gonzo Noir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@yankeemanf: Yeah, Frank Miller was never that great of an artist imo either. 
    yankeemanf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By yankeemanf
    @Emperor Gonzo Noir:  yea with a better artist the dark knight returns wouldve been an unbelievablely amazin graphic novel and i dont see the gray hair on alfred like u were sayin and u cant rele tell that alfred's hairline receting further

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.