Why did Alex Mercer become evil in Prototype 2?

#1 Posted by MonsterObsessor (1171 posts) - - Show Bio

If you played the first game up to the end, it is shown that he has become heroic, saving the citizens of New York from being blown up with a nuke. However, in Prototype 2, he has become the villain, starting an infection to all of New York, including to new player character, James Heller.

So, in your own view, why did the protagonist of Prototype has become the villain?

#2 Posted by Z3RO180 (5943 posts) - - Show Bio

@MonsterObsessor: i think he sayed the city inorder to start an infection cause at the end it says that alex mercer is dead and in fact you were playing as the virus cause it took on a life of its own and it happend to end up takeing mercers body.

#3 Posted by MonsterObsessor (1171 posts) - - Show Bio
@Z3RO180: Well, I think Alex is trying to find a lackey. Think about it, Heller survived throughout the battles in the Red Zone, and if he finds him interesting because of it, Alex has infected him just to test him out if he could get more upgrades. When they confront each other, maybe Alex will give him a decision: join him or consume him.
#4 Posted by maikkywin (100 posts) - - Show Bio

Real Mercer gets killed by Fake (You) Real Mercer somehow makes the virus confused that his the hero .

PT2 - Fake Mercer finds out his actually the bad guy, is bad guy .

#5 Posted by Z3RO180 (5943 posts) - - Show Bio

@MonsterObsessor: that actuaally might be the plit to the scond game also that is very interestring.

#6 Posted by MonsterObsessor (1171 posts) - - Show Bio

Well, maybe he's trying to spread the virus beyond New York Zero.

#7 Posted by Deranged Midget (17599 posts) - - Show Bio

Apparently he infects James Heller for a purpose beyond what we believe. It was in an article that IGN posted that Mercer might actually still be the bad guy but is simply preparing Heller to face the real threat in Prototype 2.

#8 Posted by MonsterObsessor (1171 posts) - - Show Bio
@Deranged Midget: Good reason.
#9 Posted by GhoulMine1 (96 posts) - - Show Bio

What if Mercer grew a fear of PARIAH and decides to turn the infected against him and take help from James as well

#10 Posted by TINTINSHAWS (12 posts) - - Show Bio

Mercers dead,its the virus that you played as in the first game and its the virus that contaminated james heller.the virus was evil in the first game and so was the real mercer (who was a paronoid wreck). Its only because he fought evil mutants and even darker goverment. he killed many civillians and felt no remorse. He admits in the begin hes a monster and a terrorist. He's only veiwed as completely evil because hes the antagonist of the new game coming out in a few weeks (cant wait).

Mercer was always a monster, still loved him though :)

#11 Posted by MonsterObsessor (1171 posts) - - Show Bio

If I could think of another reason, it's because he will try to get Heller to kill Dana. Why is that? Remember what Elizabeth Green said "she's with us now"? That's a hint that she infected her while taking her hostage.

#12 Posted by superstay (9374 posts) - - Show Bio

Spoilers ALERT / ALERT Spoilers

I think Alex gave Heller alot of power and some motivation( killing his wife, kidnapping his daughter) so Heller's power would grow. So in the final battle he let Heller absorb him so Alex could channel both his and Heller power ( hints Heller's tummy problems after the fight) and destroy the virus and Blackwatch. Just finished watching the a walkthrough of the game.

#13 Edited by Postacrat (487 posts) - - Show Bio
He became evil because he saw the evil that humanity is capable of. He traveled the world saving lives and helping people, However the people he helped betrayed him. Combine that with some of the awful deeds committed by the villains in which he faced, mercer lost all faith in humanity and set out to remake it in his own likeness. However some of the other points hold truth, Mercer was trying to make Heller the hero he could no longer be by becoming the object of his hatred I. E. "The bad guy". It's similar to what cable did in Cable and Deadpool.
#14 Posted by SmallvileU (7 posts) - - Show Bio

he don't think hes a villan i gess you did not finish the game what a speech he gave in the last misson somting like that "humanity is weak dying can't you see I am giving it a second chance!"

#15 Posted by darkazrael999 (3687 posts) - - Show Bio

@MonsterObsessor: After the events of the first game, Alex Mercer travels the world trying to decide whether the virus has made him humanity's killer or it's savior. He decides that he will 'save' humanity, ushering it into a new age of prosperity but after eliminating all of mankind. However, he decides against it after he falls in love with a woman. After she betrays him, out of anger, he decides to exterminate humanity anyway.

#16 Posted by Mega_spidey01 (3078 posts) - - Show Bio

@Postacrat said:

He became evil because he saw the evil that humanity is capable of. He traveled the world saving lives and helping people, However the people he helped betrayed him. Combine that with some of the awful deeds committed by the villains in which he faced, mercer lost all faith in humanity and set out to remake it in his own likeness. However some of the other points hold truth, Mercer was trying to make Heller the hero he could no longer be by becoming the object of his hatred I. E. "The bad guy". It's similar to what cable did in Cable and Deadpool.
#17 Posted by MercerFan12 (1 posts) - - Show Bio

think about it guys if in prototype 2 when heller will disguise mercer to see where maya is held alex mercer said "Welcome to the top of the food chain" think about it? is that alex mercer is a involve and haved all shapeshifting powers and copy alex mercer ? is that Alex Mercer is fake or Not <YOU DECIDE>

#18 Posted by Hyperlight (4338 posts) - - Show Bio

@Postacrat said:

correct... still think Alex should have beat himdown though

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.