What about the children? (Jade and Obsidian)

#1 Posted by bamaboykmb (149 posts) - - Show Bio

I would be really upset if these characters didn't exist. what do you think will happen? 
 the Children

#2 Posted by moywar700 (2775 posts) - - Show Bio

#3 Posted by Katie24 (488 posts) - - Show Bio

Gay people have kids all the time. Allan Scott can still be their father.

#4 Posted by JonesDeini (3501 posts) - - Show Bio

As always some characters get left behind in reboots. Just a part of the game. I'm not particularly attached to either, but I'm sure their fans will be passionate about it all. All things considered, it's not impossible for them to show up but if they do it'll likely be with very different origins.

#5 Posted by InnerVenom123 (29510 posts) - - Show Bio

I've heard a few options.

• He still had them and simply hadn't come to terms with his sexuality yet (it happens more than you think)
  • They're gone.
  • They'll come back with the same codenames, different characters.

Regarding that third one, I've heard a rather disturbing theory that Obsidian will come back as a future boyfriend...

#6 Posted by KainScion (2969 posts) - - Show Bio

there was an article about this. on the vine. look it up.

#7 Posted by Redberry (797 posts) - - Show Bio

@moywar700 said:

Hey, I was gonna post the exact same thing. :(

#8 Posted by Hatutzeraze (269 posts) - - Show Bio

The children were already gone and done for when DC decided to do the reboot. They already decided they didn't need legacy characters who carried on in the names of their parents or grandparents, with the obvious Batman exception. If they'd have made Alan Scott straight, Jade and Obsidian still wouldn't be around. Those characters are part of the old DCU, not part of the current DCU.

#9 Posted by Redberry (797 posts) - - Show Bio

@Hatutzeraze said:

The children were already gone and done for when DC decided to do the reboot. They already decided they didn't need legacy characters who carried on in the names of their parents or grandparents, with the obvious Batman exception. If they'd have made Alan Scott straight, Jade and Obsidian still wouldn't be around. Those characters are part of the old DCU, not part of the current DCU.

I think it's still up to James Robinson. He's in charge of the whole Earth-2. He stated that they could still return in the long run; he just hasn't gotten there yet.

#10 Edited by Hatutzeraze (269 posts) - - Show Bio

@Redberry said:

@Hatutzeraze said:

I think it's still up to James Robinson. He's in charge of the whole Earth-2. He stated that they could still return in the long run; he just hasn't gotten there yet.

Well, sure, but everything is kind of a stretch at this point.

The biggest stretch is the age of the children. This new version of Alan Scott simply isn't old enough to have adult or even teenage kids.

Another stretch: Scott is gay. While I am aware that gay men have children through either adoption, previous relationships, or through artificial insemination (apologies if I use the wrong term there), all of those possibilities are problematic. Jade and Obsidian were superheroes because they inherited powers from their super-powered father. Adoption wouldn't pass on powers. Since Scott is already gay in his initial appearance and it appears this is his origin story, previous relationships with women before he knew he was gay would take place before he had powers, so in that case he also would not pass on powers to his offspring. Again, since he is only just about to get powers, any artificial insemination that would pass on powers would have to happen some time after issue #3. At the rate kids grow up in comic book universes, we have about 30 years real-time before any kids born now would even be teenagers.

Let's face it: adult offspring of Alan Scott requires heroes with a long history. These are precisely the kinds of worlds DC has dismissed, in both their regular universe and in the Earth-2 world. All of these heroes are relatively young and new, which actively works against having legacy heroes.

The only other solution is bringing in kids from the future or an alternate earth. I hate those stories more than I love Jade and Obsidian. Let them hold an honored place in Limbo, I say. I'd rather remember them fondly from afar than see them forced awkwardly into a new continuity for which they were clearly never intended.

#11 Posted by Brazen_Intellect (1144 posts) - - Show Bio

Scarlet Witch was able to get two kids out of an android, so Alan Scott getting two now that he is gay should be easy enough. If the writers want to bring them in they can come up with some way to do it.

No promise the way will be any good, but...

#12 Posted by Nighthunter (28582 posts) - - Show Bio

I hate that Obsidian and Jade are gone. Along with the characters of Infinity inc due to the new age of the Earth-2 heroes. That being said everyone is getting an updated origin, there's no reason why they couldn't be adopted by Alan and have Robinson create a new origin for them. Heck with the whole light and dark theme they could even have their own series in the same style as Cloak and Dagger

#13 Posted by Redberry (797 posts) - - Show Bio

@Nighthunter said:

I hate that Obsidian and Jade are gone. Along with the characters of Infinity inc due to the new age of the Earth-2 heroes. That being said everyone is getting an updated origin, there's no reason why they couldn't be adopted by Alan and have Robinson create a new origin for them. Heck with the whole light and dark theme they could even have their own series in the same style as Cloak and Dagger

Has there ever been a father and son series though? It sounds interesting.

#14 Posted by bamaboykmb (149 posts) - - Show Bio
@Hatutzeraze said:

Batman, Superman, all except the VERTIGO and WILDSTORM  ones that doesn't mean they shouldn't be there 
#15 Posted by Hatutzeraze (269 posts) - - Show Bio

@bamaboykmb said:

.Batman, Superman, all except the VERTIGO and WILDSTORM ones that doesn't mean they shouldn't be there

I'm not arguing that Jade and Obsidian shouldn't be around, only that there's no easy solution to try to squeeze them into these comics.

#16 Posted by Hatutzeraze (269 posts) - - Show Bio

@Nighthunter said:

That being said everyone is getting an updated origin, there's no reason why they couldn't be adopted by Alan and have Robinson create a new origin for them. Heck with the whole light and dark theme they could even have their own series in the same style as Cloak and Dagger

Alan Scott looks about 25-30 years old in the new Earth-2 comic. He's supposed to be adopting a couple of 16-20 year olds? Even if you get past that hurdle, what is the point of them having powers? If they didn't inherit them from their father, which they wouldn't if adopted, then we're to assume it is just a coincidence?

I know my responses in this thread come off like I am a big Jade and Obsidian hater, but the posts I am responding to don't seem to be taking the Earth-2 story seriously. DC is trying to create brand new versions of Jay Garrick, Alan Scott, and others. These brand new characters are just now beginning their history. They are NOT characters that have been around for decades. These versions are brand new. The whole point of rebooting characters is to remove the weight of continuity and stripping a character back down to the bone. Legacy children with inherited super-powers are the text-book definition of continuity-weight.

People calling out for the inclusion of Jade and Obsidian sound, to me, like people who don't take the new Alan Scott seriously, that he should be nothing more than a delivery system for the children people remembered him having in an alternate reality. DC seems focused on telling Alan's story at the moment. Trying to inject Jade and Obsidian into these current stories would be like trying to go back to the 1940s and injecting Jade and Obsidian into the 2nd or 3rd appearances of Alan Scott. Remember, Jade and Obsidian didn't get introduced until that Alan Scott had been around for 43 years. They waited until he'd been around long enough to have a legacy. The Alan Scott we are talking about now hasn't even gotten his powers as of this posting. He hasn't even started his career as a superhero.

#17 Posted by Nighthunter (28582 posts) - - Show Bio

They are the sons of someone who had powers and died, alan adopted them because ___________

Just as easily as that and they could create so many other origin stories. Also Alan will need a supporting cast and this new scenario creates a whole new dynamic. It also is the same debate of the Kents all over again, having them alive gives way more story possibilities than not having them around.

#18 Posted by COBRAMORPH (1637 posts) - - Show Bio

I've never liked the idea of the golden age characters being active in the WW2 era, & then they have kids in the current age. The characters should be active on their earth, & their children travel from the future or something. Or, using this family as an example, Jade & Obsidian are retconned into being two seperate characters. J & O are team members with Alan Scott, who one day mentor his children into taking over THEIR identies as Jade2 & Obsidian2.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.