Alan Scott is DC's new gay character!

#1 Posted by InnerVenom123 (29499 posts) - - Show Bio
#2 Posted by ReVamp (22863 posts) - - Show Bio

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

#3 Posted by InnerVenom123 (29499 posts) - - Show Bio

@ReVamp said:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

And I'm officially happy about this news.

Cry, Revamp, cry.

#4 Posted by Ravager4 (1627 posts) - - Show Bio

so does this mean there's no chance of seeing Jade again in the future?

#5 Posted by ReVamp (22863 posts) - - Show Bio

@InnerVenom123 said:

@ReVamp said:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

And I'm officially happy about this news.

Cry, Revamp, cry.

Go have sex with yourself or something.

But allow me to elaborate:

  1. Jade
  2. Obsidian
#6 Posted by primepower53 (5686 posts) - - Show Bio

I remain apathetic towards this announcement.

#7 Posted by InnerVenom123 (29499 posts) - - Show Bio

@ReVamp said:

@InnerVenom123 said:

@ReVamp said:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

And I'm officially happy about this news.

Cry, Revamp, cry.

Go have sex with yourself or something.

But allow me to elaborate:

  1. Jade
  2. Obsidian

I have sex with myself for breakfast.

Also .... yeah.

#8 Posted by ReVamp (22863 posts) - - Show Bio

@InnerVenom123: Elaborate on that "yeah".

#9 Posted by InnerVenom123 (29499 posts) - - Show Bio

@ReVamp said:

@InnerVenom123: Elaborate on that "yeah".

Yeah meaning I guess they don't exist anymore.

#10 Posted by ReVamp (22863 posts) - - Show Bio

@InnerVenom123 said:

@ReVamp said:

@InnerVenom123: Elaborate on that "yeah".

Yeah meaning I guess they don't exist anymore.

... yeah.

#11 Posted by inferiorego (21213 posts) - - Show Bio

@InnerVenom123 said:

@ReVamp said:

@InnerVenom123: Elaborate on that "yeah".

Yeah meaning I guess they don't exist anymore.

There's a lot of gay men with kids... Some of which were in the closet and married to a woman before they came out. Him having children is still 100% plausible.

Staff
#12 Posted by InnerVenom123 (29499 posts) - - Show Bio

@inferiorego said:

@InnerVenom123 said:

@ReVamp said:

@InnerVenom123: Elaborate on that "yeah".

Yeah meaning I guess they don't exist anymore.

There's a lot of gay men with kids... Some of which were in the closet and married to a woman before they came out. Him having children is still 100% plausible.

Yeah, I know.

I was only saying that to screw with Revamp.

#13 Posted by ReVamp (22863 posts) - - Show Bio

@inferiorego said:

@InnerVenom123 said:

@ReVamp said:

@InnerVenom123: Elaborate on that "yeah".

Yeah meaning I guess they don't exist anymore.

There's a lot of gay men with kids... Some of which were in the closet and married to a woman before they came out. Him having children is still 100% plausible.

That's...

HOPE: Restored.

#14 Posted by Dark_Vengeance_ (14587 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm so happy it wasn't Damian or Tim.

#15 Posted by Kallarkz (3303 posts) - - Show Bio

The only thing I don't like about this is that DC is making way too big a deal out of it. 
Like they are expecting an applause for adding more homosexual characters. 
 
Other than that...power to fictional Alan.

#16 Posted by ReVamp (22863 posts) - - Show Bio

@Kallarkz said:

The only thing I don't like about this is that DC is making way too big a deal out of it. Like they are expecting an applause for adding more homosexual characters. Other than that...power to fictional Alan.

Meh. Its more about the Attention than that IMO.

#17 Posted by TheOptimist (713 posts) - - Show Bio

@inferiorego said:

@InnerVenom123 said:

@ReVamp said:

@InnerVenom123: Elaborate on that "yeah".

Yeah meaning I guess they don't exist anymore.

There's a lot of gay men with kids... Some of which were in the closet and married to a woman before they came out. Him having children is still 100% plausible.

I'm 500% on board with that... the ONLY problem AT ALL I have with it is that Alan being gay then having a gay son... is highly unlikely, unless we're trying to lend credence to theory that homosexuality is a genetically inherited trait (which I strongly attest it is NOT)... now, there are still plenty of ways to work through this, allowing the creation of Obsidian and Jade, preserving Obsidian's homosexuality while retaining Alan's new status... so I'll wait and see. For now, I'll take it as happy news and we'll see how it develops from this point forth.

#18 Posted by Lvenger (18226 posts) - - Show Bio

Well I wasn't expecting that. I thought it would be Wally. Alan Scott isn't that iconic to me. Then again Hal Jordan is my favourite Green Lantern (waits for barrage of abuse from Viners who despise Hal Jordan)

@inferiorego said:

@InnerVenom123 said:

@ReVamp said:

@InnerVenom123: Elaborate on that "yeah".

Yeah meaning I guess they don't exist anymore.

There's a lot of gay men with kids... Some of which were in the closet and married to a woman before they came out. Him having children is still 100% plausible.

That's the way I see it. Jade and Obsidian could still come around just a bit later. Also thank you for your brilliant twitter posts to One Million Moms. I wonder how they'll take this news once they hear it...

#19 Posted by BiteMe-Fanboy (7529 posts) - - Show Bio

Damn DC, what the hell.

#20 Posted by InnerVenom123 (29499 posts) - - Show Bio

@Lvenger said:

That's the way I see it. Jade and Obsidian could still come around just a bit later. Also thank you for your brilliant twitter posts to One Million Moms. I wonder how they'll take this news once they hear it...

One Million Idiots won't even know who Alan Scott is.

#21 Posted by Skunkstein (591 posts) - - Show Bio

Hahaha, lol... Gay people have become the new ''token black guy'', its ''in'' to have a gay character... its stupid, but i guess its a fad we have to get through until Gayness is normal just like Black superheroes are today.

Personally im not a fan of Alan Scott but from what i know of him, i find him awesome enough, i never knew any of his previous flirts or girlfriends so its nothing that will change my look on him, let him be gay.. fine..

#22 Posted by KainScion (2973 posts) - - Show Bio

@ReVamp: ADOPTED!!! TAM TAM TAAAAMM

#23 Posted by Lvenger (18226 posts) - - Show Bio

@InnerVenom123: They don't even have one million members lol. And they were aware that this would happen:

"DC Comics recently announced one of their most popular, but as of yet unnamed, prominent characters will soon be coming out of the closet."

They will be aware, they just won't know who he is.

#24 Posted by ReVamp (22863 posts) - - Show Bio

@KainScion said:

@ReVamp: ADOPTED!!! TAM TAM TAAAAMM

That wouldn't work.

#25 Posted by InnerVenom123 (29499 posts) - - Show Bio

@Lvenger said:

@InnerVenom123: They don't even have one million members lol. And they were aware that this would happen:

"DC Comics recently announced one of their most popular, but as of yet unnamed, prominent characters will soon be coming out of the closet."

They will be aware, they just won't know who he is.

I know they don't have a million members. Which just makes them all the more stupid and pathetic.

Yeah, I know.

#26 Posted by Lvenger (18226 posts) - - Show Bio

@InnerVenom123 said:

@Lvenger said:

@InnerVenom123: They don't even have one million members lol. And they were aware that this would happen:

"DC Comics recently announced one of their most popular, but as of yet unnamed, prominent characters will soon be coming out of the closet."

They will be aware, they just won't know who he is.

I know they don't have a million members. Which just makes them all the more stupid and pathetic.

Yeah, I know.

Agreed 100% my friend.

#27 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (32631 posts) - - Show Bio

cool, I guess 

#28 Posted by KainScion (2973 posts) - - Show Bio

@ReVamp: idk. im trying to make sense of the news.

#29 Posted by Avenging-X-Bolt (12489 posts) - - Show Bio

Who cares?!? I mean really?!?

#30 Posted by ReVamp (22863 posts) - - Show Bio

@KainScion said:

@ReVamp: idk. im trying to make sense of the news.

IE had it pretty good though.

#31 Posted by InnerVenom123 (29499 posts) - - Show Bio

@DarkKnightDetective said:

I'm so happy it wasn't Damian or Tim.

I would have loved if it was Tim.

Purely to see the reaction, rather than the actual storytelling value.

I have friends who's heads would explode.

#32 Posted by TDK_1997 (14456 posts) - - Show Bio

I didn't expect that.

#33 Posted by ReVamp (22863 posts) - - Show Bio

@Lvenger said:

That's the way I see it. Jade and Obsidian could still come around just a bit later. Also thank you for your brilliant twitter posts to One Million Moms. I wonder how they'll take this news once they hear it...

They're that Anti-Gay woman crew, right?

#34 Posted by Dernman (14712 posts) - - Show Bio
@TheOptimist said:

@inferiorego said:

@InnerVenom123 said:

@ReVamp said:

@InnerVenom123: Elaborate on that "yeah".

Yeah meaning I guess they don't exist anymore.

There's a lot of gay men with kids... Some of which were in the closet and married to a woman before they came out. Him having children is still 100% plausible.

I'm 500% on board with that... the ONLY problem AT ALL I have with it is that Alan being gay then having a gay son... is highly unlikely, unless we're trying to lend credence to theory that homosexuality is a genetically inherited trait (which I strongly attest it is NOT)... now, there are still plenty of ways to work through this, allowing the creation of Obsidian and Jade, preserving Obsidian's homosexuality while retaining Alan's new status... so I'll wait and see. For now, I'll take it as happy news and we'll see how it develops from this point forth.

They should make Obsidian asexual like they did in his JLA run. Asexual are a totally unrepresented minority in comics. :p
#35 Posted by Jake Fury (18113 posts) - - Show Bio

All these new guys in DC have that metrosexual hair do going. Must be awesome to have all of your hair..

#36 Posted by TheRedRobin96 (334 posts) - - Show Bio

@DarkKnightDetective: Bwahahahaha if it was Damian, I would laugh my ass off! I could sadly see Tim being gay though....

#37 Posted by Lvenger (18226 posts) - - Show Bio

@ReVamp said:

@Lvenger said:

That's the way I see it. Jade and Obsidian could still come around just a bit later. Also thank you for your brilliant twitter posts to One Million Moms. I wonder how they'll take this news once they hear it...

They're that Anti-Gay woman crew, right?

Uh huh. Kicked up a fuss about Northstar and Kyle getting married.

#38 Posted by DarthShap (874 posts) - - Show Bio

Well that was stupid. I am all for gay characters in comics but:

Does DC really want to into a debate about whether or not being gay is in your genes? Out of all the characters in the DCU, DC had to go with the only one who had a gay son. Really?

Also, what is the point of making a character gay if at the same you erase the existence of another? In the end, you do not have more gay characters, you just did two idiotic RetCons.

#39 Posted by InnerVenom123 (29499 posts) - - Show Bio

@Jake Fury said:

Must be awesome to have all of your hair..

Awww, poor Jake.

*hug*

#40 Posted by ReVamp (22863 posts) - - Show Bio

@Lvenger said:

@ReVamp said:

@Lvenger said:

That's the way I see it. Jade and Obsidian could still come around just a bit later. Also thank you for your brilliant twitter posts to One Million Moms. I wonder how they'll take this news once they hear it...

They're that Anti-Gay woman crew, right?

Uh huh. Kicked up a fuss about Northstar and Kyle getting married.

Ha. They did. Thank god I don't put up with any of that bullsh*t.

#41 Posted by ReVamp (22863 posts) - - Show Bio

@InnerVenom123 said:

@DarkKnightDetective said:

I'm so happy it wasn't Damian or Tim.

I would have loved if it was Tim.

Purely to see the reaction, rather than the actual storytelling value.

I have friends who's heads would explode.

Rainy would go bonkers. More, that is.

#42 Posted by InnerVenom123 (29499 posts) - - Show Bio

@ReVamp said:

@InnerVenom123 said:

@DarkKnightDetective said:

I'm so happy it wasn't Damian or Tim.

I would have loved if it was Tim.

Purely to see the reaction, rather than the actual storytelling value.

I have friends who's heads would explode.


would go bonkers. More, that is.

Holy sh*t, I forgot about him.

That would be amazing.

#43 Posted by Skunkstein (591 posts) - - Show Bio

@Jake Fury said:

All these new guys in DC have that metrosexual hair do going. Must be awesome to have all of your hair..

It truely is, its just so.... awesome...

#44 Posted by Lvenger (18226 posts) - - Show Bio

@ReVamp said:

@Lvenger said:

@ReVamp said:

@Lvenger said:

That's the way I see it. Jade and Obsidian could still come around just a bit later. Also thank you for your brilliant twitter posts to One Million Moms. I wonder how they'll take this news once they hear it...

They're that Anti-Gay woman crew, right?

Uh huh. Kicked up a fuss about Northstar and Kyle getting married.

Ha. They did. Thank god I don't put up with any of that bullsh*t.

Nor do I for that matter. Marriage shouldn't be restricted to what some religious people thinks it should be. Marriage is a civil right everyone is entitled to.

#45 Edited by Dernman (14712 posts) - - Show Bio

I should be upset because I'm not a fan of changing things like this but I'm not.  They just have to find away to include Jade now. I actually wouldn't mind if she wasn't his daughter and was in Earth 0/Prime so she could be with Kyle. I don't give a two figs about Obsidian honestly.

#46 Posted by Dark_Vengeance_ (14587 posts) - - Show Bio

@TheRedRobin96 said:

@DarkKnightDetective: Bwahahahaha if it was Damian, I would laugh my ass off! I could sadly see Tim being gay though....

yeah but I wasn't worried with Damian because he's 10 and he has that rough personality, but with Tim, I thought he was going to hook up with bunker. I mean it does make sense that writers created this new gay character so he can be Drake's boyfriend

#47 Posted by TheOptimist (713 posts) - - Show Bio

@Dernman said:

I should be upset because I'm not a fan of changing things like this but I'm not. They just have to find away to include Jade now. I actually wouldn't mind if she wasn't his daughter and was in Earth 0/Prime so she could be with Kyle. I don't give a two figs about Obsidian honestly.

That would actually be closer to my ideal of the situation... I'd love for Jade and Obsidian to exist (and be brother and sister) but have no relation to Alan. I'm certain that I'm a minority there, but alas, I am.

#48 Posted by TheRedRobin96 (334 posts) - - Show Bio

@DarkKnightDetective: To me it would kind of suck if Tim was gay. But it sure seems like their setting him up to be gay. His past girlfriends are pretty much gone. He has more or a 'phemonin' look to him. And he is becoming good friends with Bunker.

#49 Posted by The Stegman (23003 posts) - - Show Bio

Well...he did kinda look....metrosexual in the first issue of Earth Two, so really, I'm not that surprised. 

Online
#50 Posted by Hunter114 (829 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't like it... the idea reaks of gimmick and there is no logical reason in my mind why he should be gay.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.