V for Vendetta or Watchmen?

#1 Posted by John Valentine (16335 posts) - - Show Bio

V for Vendetta or Watchmen, which do you prefer?

#2 Posted by The Comedian (10 posts) - - Show Bio

Vendetta is the heavier story, I beleive. From discovering the horrid reasoning behind V's efforts, to Evey's initiation at the hands of V, and the brutal finale in which V gets his wish, to allow the people to decide through chaos, the story is immense. I also love some of the inspirations behind Moore and Lloyd's development of V - the Shadow and the old pulp style characters - In which they do things that are as bad as the villains of the piece but you believe in them purely because the story puts them as the good guys - V even refers to himself as the villain, the bogeyman of the twentieth century.

Watchmen, as brilliant as it is, falls a little short for me because I don't believe the narrative is as strong. It is a brilliant work and serves to deconstruct the superhero genre unlike anything else, even Miller's DKR, but I think it is simply a series of extraordinarily-well-done character moments strung along on a paper-thin narrative, first following the investigations of Rorschach, then Nite-owl's retribution, and finally the revelation of Ozymandias' plot. But this isn't to put it down, it is a superb work. I just prefer V for Vendetta, to be honest.

On a final note, there are too many parallels between Britain as it is right now, and Britain in the story, which gives it extra depth. In the intro, Moore posits the notion that Conservative England - At the time Vendetta was written, Thatcher had been in power for years, and already things were turning sour - is beginning to be too cold, and nasty, so it's ironic that under Labour, things have possibly become worse than ever before, and much closer to what he and Lloyd envisaged.

So, yeah. I prefer Vendetta, is the short answer. Good question, by the way - The two are often held up as the best of his works, even though I prefer his ABC series, Top Ten, over either of them.

#3 Posted by Final Arrow (24388 posts) - - Show Bio
The Comedian said:
"

Vendetta is the heavier story, I beleive. From discovering the horrid reasoning behind V's efforts, to Evey's initiation at the hands of V, and the brutal finale in which V gets his wish, to allow the people to decide through chaos, the story is immense. I also love some of the inspirations behind Moore and Lloyd's development of V - the Shadow and the old pulp style characters - In which they do things that are as bad as the villains of the piece but you believe in them purely because the story puts them as the good guys - V even refers to himself as the villain, the bogeyman of the twentieth century.

Watchmen, as brilliant as it is, falls a little short for me because I don't believe the narrative is as strong. It is a brilliant work and serves to deconstruct the superhero genre unlike anything else, even Miller's DKR, but I think it is simply a series of extraordinarily-well-done character moments strung along on a paper-thin narrative, first following the investigations of Rorschach, then Nite-owl's retribution, and finally the revelation of Ozymandias' plot. But this isn't to put it down, it is a superb work. I just prefer V for Vendetta, to be honest.

On a final note, there are too many parallels between Britain as it is right now, and Britain in the story, which gives it extra depth. In the intro, Moore posits the notion that Conservative England - At the time Vendetta was written, Thatcher had been in power for years, and already things were turning sour - is beginning to be too cold, and nasty, so it's ironic that under Labour, things have possibly become worse than ever before, and much closer to what he and Lloyd envisaged.

So, yeah. I prefer Vendetta, is the short answer. Good question, by the way - The two are often held up as the best of his works, even though I prefer his ABC series, Top Ten, over either of them.

"
This is how you answer a question Look at this will you just actually read it, well thought out and has valid points. Damn Comedian well done.
#4 Posted by Resonate (15054 posts) - - Show Bio
Final Arrow said:
"The Comedian said:
"

"
This is how you answer a question Look at this will you just actually read it, well thought out and has valid points. Damn Comedian well done.
"
I was never able to get my hands on V for Vendetta, and yeah, thats the way CV should be, Ive seen other forums where thats the average post link, and still people with 17k plus posts. Watchmen was an awesome work for me though, and while the narrative was something to be worked on, it had an awesome way of tying events together and some amazing and memorable characters to boot. Im never going to forget Rorschach and Dr. Manhattan, they're some of the most memorable characters in comic book history, and even has the greatest villain line ever spoken.... (Veidt's "I did it twenty minutes ago") speech....so, until Ive read V for Vendetta I cant really say what I prefer...my friend told me that he enjoyed V more, but after reading them both a second time he liked Watchmen again, so I dont know what Id prefer.
#5 Posted by NightFang (10198 posts) - - Show Bio

I like them both the same.

#6 Posted by No_Name_ (17409 posts) - - Show Bio

V for Vendetta

#7 Posted by T.J. Magnum (27685 posts) - - Show Bio

both

#8 Posted by Virago (1005 posts) - - Show Bio

Vendetta. Always. Forever. hearts burst forth....

#9 Posted by T.J. Magnum (27685 posts) - - Show Bio

do you remember the 5th of November ?

#10 Posted by Apparition (11349 posts) - - Show Bio

watchmen

#11 Posted by BangingBootyNurseT (143 posts) - - Show Bio

V for Vendetta because Natalie Portman Shaved her head, that made me cry in the theater.

#12 Posted by unclespam (1 posts) - - Show Bio

Watchmen. My favourite comic book. I first read the series in the early 1990’s, and have re-read it many times since. This was the graphic novel I hoped would never be filtered onto the silver screen. Only one comic has made the crossover to the film world successfully in my humble opinion, and that was ‘The Crow’ with Brandon Lee.
Having seen the preview for Watchmen, I think it has probably ticked all the right Hollywood boxes, and will be a big screen success.  Even I felt a mild rush of adrenalin at the sight of  Doc Manhattan appearing for the first time.
But this comic of all comics should never have been made into a film. This was my comic, MY comic. What works so well about it is all in my mind (helped along by Moores’ writing and Gibbons artwork) and does not transfer to a cinema screen. “Nurse, fetch the inkblots.”
Of course, I’ll watch the film. Probably over and over again, pointing out events and characters that don’t look or feel right, and (hopefully) quite enjoy it. After years of loving the comic I know that even if it turns out to be a load of old film industry tat (Rorschach’s deep, overly manly, serious growl a sign ?), that won’t  take my Watchmen away.
Fade to black, curtain falls.

#13 Posted by John Valentine (16335 posts) - - Show Bio

Rorschach is way more bad@ss than V!

#14 Posted by Savage_batman (344 posts) - - Show Bio

Watchmen This a hard answer though because i love batman then i read v and went crazy but i recently bought watchmen and read and it is my favorite u are so right John Valentine said:

"Rorschach is way more bad@ss than V!"
u are so right
#15 Posted by Nighthunter (28582 posts) - - Show Bio

V for vendetta

#16 Edited by King Saturn (224811 posts) - - Show Bio
V for Vendetta... but I cant watch till the Watchmen movie comes out next year
#17 Posted by capsvibranium (32 posts) - - Show Bio

for the week following my finish of v for vendetta, i was in a trance.  the world was a different place.  it was truly amazing.  but the difference is that i eventually recovered.  i never recovered from watchmen.  to this day, i'm still trying to wrap my mind around such a sheer masterpiece.  it's kind of like beethoven's 9th.  you can listen to it over and over again, you can know every last note by heart.  but in the end, it's still something you'll never quite grasp. 

#18 Posted by arkams finest (9 posts) - - Show Bio

they are both good I can't pick just one i'll say both

#19 Posted by magoz (24 posts) - - Show Bio
Savage_batman said:
"Watchmen This a hard answer though because i love batman then i read v and went crazy but i recently bought watchmen and read and it is my favorite u are so right John Valentine said:
"Rorschach is way more bad@ss than V!"
u are so right"
i 100% agree with you both and Rorschach make The Watchmen what it is. im sorry to say that V for vendetta has to rank up to number 2.
#20 Posted by MrMiracle77 (1659 posts) - - Show Bio

Watchmen.  I will say though that there are a few themes in Vendetta that are more fleshed out in Watchmen.  If Moore had been the writer he was in 85 when he was writing V, I'd bet that I'd like Vendetta better.

#21 Posted by Jerry Seinfeld (598 posts) - - Show Bio

Watchmen hands down but V for Vendetta is still good.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.