Follow

Alan Moore

Person » Alan Moore is credited in 1337 issues.

Alan Moore is a British comic book writer, one of the most prominent and acclaimed in history. His eminent works include Watchmen, From Hell, V for Vendetta, Miracleman, Tom Strong, Promethea, and The Saga of Swamp Thing.

Should Marvel Break the Bank to get Alan Moore on Board?

Chaos Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Chaos Prime

Got thinking today about one of my fav characters of all time & the state of play he is in at the Mo & that would be Doctor Strange.. (Chaos War) each to their own..
    Then i got thinking about who would be the perfect writer to do the Doc justice & imo that would be Alan Moore.. 
    Which Character in Marvel would u like to get the Alan Moore effect & Why?
    All Alan Moore comments & why he should do some work at Marvel are more than welcome :-)

xerox_kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 22

#2  Edited By xerox_kitty

I'd never thought of it, but I think you're right. He could do an amazing job with a character like Strange!

I don't think it's financial reasons stopping Marvel from hiring Moore, though. Unless he's changed his mind since, the last I heard was that he swore never to work with Marvel ever again.

Theodore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By Theodore

hes said he wont work for marvel or dc so...

Chaos Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Chaos Prime
    @xerox-kitty said:

I'd never thought of it, but I think you're right. He could do an amazing job with a character like Strange!

I don't think it's financial reasons stopping Marvel from hiring Moore, though. Unless he's changed his mind since, the last I heard was that he swore never to work with Marvel ever again.

I thought it was just DC he was Pisxed with?
    Chaos Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Chaos Prime
    Avatar image for fadetoblackbolt
    FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt

He hates the mainstream companies, and he didn't like Marvel before that, so I doubt he'll ever work there.

8diagrams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By 8diagrams

Hes a bit delusional at this day and age. He wouldnt be able to play nice with the people at Marvel. He could come up with nice ideas for strange. kudos on that

lokiofmidgaard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#8  Edited By lokiofmidgaard

I've seen him talk in person. He's not the least bit delusional. You could say stubborn or opinionated if you like, though he only believes he's sticking to his principles, but not delusional.
    Chaos Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Chaos Prime
    @lokiofmidgaard said:
    I've seen him talk in person. He's not the least bit delusional. You could say stubborn or opinionated if you like, though he only believes he's sticking to his principles, but not delusional.
    Would agree with this..Imo if he was giving total freedom to do a classic character Justice IE-Doctor Strange he would consider it..
    FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt
    @Chaos Prime said:
    @lokiofmidgaard said:
    Would agree with this..Imo if he was giving total freedom to do a classic character Justice IE-Doctor Strange he would consider it..
    He wouldn't. The guy does not like Marvel Comics.
    Chaos Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Chaos Prime
    @FadeToBlackBolt said:
    @Chaos Prime said:
    @lokiofmidgaard said:
    I always thought he had a real distaste of DC & with Marvel it was more of a case of too many Chiefs?? 
    FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt
    @Chaos Prime said:
    @FadeToBlackBolt said:
    @Chaos Prime said:
    @lokiofmidgaard said:
    I always thought he had a real distaste of DC & with Marvel it was more of a case of too many Chiefs?? 
    He hates the beurocracy that governs them both, but he just doesn't like Marvel characters or the Universe. He was basically able to pick and choose assignments back in the 80s, and he never even looked at a Marvel character. 
    Chaos Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Chaos Prime
    @FadeToBlackBolt said:
    @Chaos Prime said:
    @FadeToBlackBolt said:
    @Chaos Prime said:
    @lokiofmidgaard said:
    He hates the beurocracy that governs them both, but he just doesn't like Marvel characters or the Universe. He was basically able to pick and choose assignments back in the 80s, and he never even looked at a Marvel character. 
    That is a shame as imo Doctor Strange would have been one of the few characters he could have had a great influence on especialy with his Knowledge on the subject.. 
    O Well i can dream i guess :-)
    FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt
    @Chaos Prime said:
    @FadeToBlackBolt said:
    @Chaos Prime said:
    @FadeToBlackBolt said:
    @Chaos Prime said:
    @lokiofmidgaard said:
    That is a shame as imo Doctor Strange would have been one of the few characters he could have had a great influence on especialy with his Knowledge on the subject.. O Well i can dream i guess :-)
    True :)

Someone else will come along that's just as good (Morrison is better imo, but Doc Strange isn't really his style).
    lokiofmidgaard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#15  Edited By lokiofmidgaard
    @FadeToBlackBolt said:
    @Chaos Prime said:
    @FadeToBlackBolt said:
    @Chaos Prime said:
    @lokiofmidgaard said:

Not quite the case. He was a fan of Marvel's universe, and, as reported by Alan Davis, even hoped he might one day get a chance to write for the X-Men because he enjoyed them so much. Don't forget that when he wrote for Captain Britain, which was a Marvel strip, he included cameos by Arcade, Henry Gyrich and Sebastian Shaw. The problems with Marvel arose from a few things that happened. An editor he was fond of, Bernie Jaye, was let go, and afaik he felt somewhat unhappy about the manner in which it happened. And then Marvel threatened legal action against Quality's Warrior Magazine for using the character Marvelman, despite the character predating Marvel being called Marvel. Moore was writing that strip, and Quality had to stop using it while trying to handle the situation; it was their top strip, and its withdrawal saw a marked dip in sales that contributed to the title cancelling a few months later.  

Moore has fallen out with several companies, but to be fair, in each case he has cited specific things those companies did which he found disagreeable, and he made it clear in each case that if they continued to do what they were doing, he'd stop working for them, which was the only leverage he had. They didn't stop, so he stuck to his word. Whether he was right to find their actions disagreeable or they were wrong to persist in doing the things that annoyed him is down to personal opinion, but his actions are perfectly logical, based on his perception of events.
    FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt
    @lokiofmidgaard said:
    @FadeToBlackBolt said:
    @Chaos Prime said:
    @FadeToBlackBolt said:
    @Chaos Prime said:
    @lokiofmidgaard said:
    Not quite the case. He was a fan of Marvel's universe, and, as reported by Alan Davis, even hoped he might one day get a chance to write for the X-Men because he enjoyed them so much. Don't forget that when he wrote for Captain Britain, which was a Marvel strip, he included cameos by Arcade, Henry Gyrich and Sebastian Shaw. The problems with Marvel arose from a few things that happened. An editor he was fond of, Bernie Jaye, was let go, and afaik he felt somewhat unhappy about the manner in which it happened. And then Marvel threatened legal action against Quality's Warrior Magazine for using the character Marvelman, despite the character predating Marvel being called Marvel. Moore was writing that strip, and Quality had to stop using it while trying to handle the situation; it was their top strip, and its withdrawal saw a marked dip in sales that contributed to the title cancelling a few months later.   Moore has fallen out with several companies, but to be fair, in each case he has cited specific things those companies did which he found disagreeable, and he made it clear in each case that if they continued to do what they were doing, he'd stop working for them, which was the only leverage he had. They didn't stop, so he stuck to his word. Whether he was right to find their actions disagreeable or they were wrong to persist in doing the things that annoyed him is down to personal opinion, but his actions are perfectly logical, based on his perception of events.
    I completely forgot about his Captain Britain stuff. Sorry, I'm totally wrong. IGNORE ME. I WAS WRONG. I APOLOGISE. 

Thanks for the correction :)
    Chaos Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Chaos Prime

Bump :-)

AMS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By AMS

The only things I could see them coaxing him with is a massive multi million dollar cheque and free reign to carry on Marvel Man now that they own the character however he wanted and even then he would probably say no 9 times out of 10.

CATPANEXE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#19  Edited By CATPANEXE

Aside from whats already put down, I also believe he would avoid anything associated with the conglomerate Disney.
    More to the point though, for Marvel to hire Alan, he would have to first be interested in working for them and looking into
    that avenue. It's hard to hire someone that doesn't show for the interview?
    " If " in the case that he did, I believe he would probably do something newly created by himself, and likely under the MAX imprint as well,
    but he could just as well do that under a creator owned publishing house anyways.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.