Follow

Alan Moore

Person » Alan Moore is credited in 1338 issues.

Alan Moore is a British comic book writer, one of the most prominent and acclaimed in history. His eminent works include Watchmen, From Hell, V for Vendetta, Miracleman, Tom Strong, Promethea, and The Saga of Swamp Thing.

Outbreaks of Violets

Avatar image for iammisterquiche
    IamMisterQuiche

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By IamMisterQuiche

So I recently found a copy of Outbreaks of Violets, there seems to be very little info online regarding this. It is a big portfolio, one side has an envelope with the cards and the other side has 24 prints by the artists who illustrated each card. It was given away at the 95 European MTV music awards. I can take photos if anyone is interested & hasn't seen it before

Any additional info anyone can give on run size, possible value etc would be much appreciated

SodiumTT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hi There,

I can fill you in with a little bit more info but not much.

There were a total of 500 of these made along with 500 non portfolio versions that had no cards with them. The one that you and I own were given out to the VIPs at the 95 EMA's. Due to a cock up on the night only 200 were given out and at least 100 of those were left behind/thrown away. The rest were left in a cupboard at MTV which unfortunately was destroyed by fire, meaning that there are a maximum of 100 in circulation, although in reality it'll be far far less. The others were given away to ticket holders but again, most were thrown way.

A set of the cards were sold on eBay back in 2007 for about 800 pounds but other than that I can get no real idea on value. It was suggested to me by an auction house that it was worth between 2 and 5 thousand pounds.

I spoke to Alan Moore's assistant who was very reticent to give any information as there was some issue with MTV and Alan Moore with regards to money and the fact that he wasn't given either the portfolio or the book version.

I have contacted all 24 of the artists, 4 of whom replied with similar attitudes based on lack of payment etc.

I am about to send mine off to Sotherby's to see if I can get a proper valuation.

Hope that helps?

Natt

inkpunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just to chip in -- There were some of the other version (bound, landscape) which found there way to the shop at the Comics Museum in London. They were selling them as new, and I picked one up on a whim (I'm not so much an Alan Moore fan as a fan of European comics, and the artwork appealed). I was a student at the time so can't imagine they were selling for much more than 10 or 15 quid... I seem to recall a fair stack of them though. That must have been in 1995, I think.

After the one sold on eBay for £800 I thought I'd try my luck, but the bidding on mine fell way short of the £500 reserve -- that was a few years ago, so I'm just biding my time... it's not often life throws you a bone like that, so I'm in special no hurry! I do (obviously) google the title once in a while, just to see if there have been any interesting developments -- hence I read this and thought I'd tell you what little I know. Hope it's helpful.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.