Comics Legend Al Williamson Dies

Posted by No_name_here (1223 posts) - - Show Bio

Al Williamson (1931-2010)

Over the weekend, the comics industry lost another legend with Al Williamson’s passing. At 79, he’d been retired for several years and his last high-profile comic was a Sub-Mariner short to mark the character’s 70 anniversary last year. Prior to that, his most recent work consisted mostly of inking the likes of SPIDER-GIRL, SPIDER-MAN 2099, DAREDEVIL and the Epic mini-series ATOMIC AGE. That work won him an impressive number of awards, including seven Harveys and three Eisners (the last of which being a Hall of Fame award.)

With a career that spanned five decades, it’s difficult to pick which work of his to highlight - - there’s just so much of it. He was perhaps the definitive STAR WARS comics artist in the 80s, having been personally picked by George Lucas on account of his work on FLASH GORDON. In the 50s, he illustrated a substantial number of Western title like KID COLT and THE RINGO KID for Timely Comics, Marvel’s predecessor, and almost every kind of sci-fi, horror and crime story for EC’s infamous anthologies. He got to return to doing that kind of story in the 70s with a stint on CREEPY for Warren. == TEASER ==

All too often comics fandom can have a short memory. I encourage you to look online and see more of this man’s work. Williamson was a contemporary of Frank Frazetta ( who passed away just a few weeks) and he had a classical rendering style in the same vein as Burne Hogarth and Alex Raymond. Those of you who want to become comics artists yourself would do well to study all these talents’ work. You can't just look at current artists for inspiration, you need to also know the earlier artists who inspired them. And Frank Cho, Jimmy Palmiotti, Dave Gibbons, Tony Harris and Steve Epting (just to name a few) all cite Williamson as influence. 

Here's just a few samples of Williamson's work...

-- Tom Pinchuk is the writer of UNIMAGINABLE for Arcana Studios and HYBRID BASTARDS! for Archaia. HYBRID BASTARDS! is available  here and UNIMAGINABLE is available here for pre-order on Amazon.com.  

#1 Posted by CaptainUseless (730 posts) - - Show Bio

T'is a sad day.

#2 Edited by Timm (255 posts) - - Show Bio

Spiderman 2099 is on my list of most under appreciated books as well as my list of favorites.
i'll miss this man. he was an inspiration.

#3 Posted by Decept-O (7274 posts) - - Show Bio

We're losing too many legends but this must happen.  
RIP to a very talented artist, prayers to his family and friends.
#4 Posted by The_Warlord (1777 posts) - - Show Bio
@Decept-O said:
" We're losing too many legends but this must happen.  RIP to a very talented artist, prayers to his family and friends. "
#5 Posted by hdorman1 (4662 posts) - - Show Bio

RIP

#6 Posted by Mutant X (1543 posts) - - Show Bio

Rest in peace. You will be missed. :(

#7 Posted by longbowhunter (6765 posts) - - Show Bio

Anybody know what Daredevil run he was on?
#8 Posted by No_name_here (1223 posts) - - Show Bio
@longbowhunter:  He was on from, I think, #246 to #300.
#9 Posted by sora_thekey (8152 posts) - - Show Bio
@Love said:
" @Decept-O said:
" We're losing too many legends but this must happen.  RIP to a very talented artist, prayers to his family and friends. "
"
#10 Posted by ArtisticNeedham (2233 posts) - - Show Bio

Sad News.  Rest in Peace Mr. Williamson .

#11 Posted by Gothic Storm (842 posts) - - Show Bio

Rest in peace, Al. You were the inspiration of many of today's artists... and you will be missed!

#12 Posted by Krakoa (550 posts) - - Show Bio

The comic and art world has lost criminally underrated talent and iconic style. 

#13 Posted by Shatterstar (4520 posts) - - Show Bio

Oh man, one of the greats RIP.

#14 Posted by MetatronDaDon (97 posts) - - Show Bio

RIP his art was very realistic wish i could draw like that

#15 Posted by NightFang (9884 posts) - - Show Bio

R.I.P

#16 Posted by Comiclove5 (1255 posts) - - Show Bio
@Mutant X said:
"Rest in peace. You will be missed. :( "

Yes he will.
#17 Posted by Omega Ray Jay (7583 posts) - - Show Bio

Very sad news, RIP

#18 Posted by The Jeff (290 posts) - - Show Bio

It's a real bummer that all the greats are passing on.

#19 Posted by E.I.S.A.M. (369 posts) - - Show Bio

R.I.P.

#20 Posted by Primmaster64 (21138 posts) - - Show Bio

RIP

#21 Posted by ARMIV (4140 posts) - - Show Bio

Another good artist has left us today.
R.I.P. I hope his life was lived well.

#22 Posted by Icon (2051 posts) - - Show Bio

No surprise, this is one of my favourite examples of his work. 

He will be missed...
#23 Posted by Dark Cell (447 posts) - - Show Bio

R.I.P

#24 Posted by RiddlingGambit (204 posts) - - Show Bio

a legend has risen to the heavens

#25 Posted by pinchpaker29 (470 posts) - - Show Bio

R.I.P. God bless you and your family.

#26 Posted by xerox_kitty (15761 posts) - - Show Bio

Oh, that's so sad.  My sympathies to his family.

#27 Posted by andelman (2 posts) - - Show Bio
#28 Posted by andelman (2 posts) - - Show Bio

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.