'Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.' Season One DVD/Blu-ray Review

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck

Last week, the first season of Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. arrived on Blu-ray and DVD. The show featured Clark Gregg as Agent Phil Coulson from the Marvel Studios movies despite what we saw in The Avengers. After the Battle of New York, things changed. With twenty-two episodes, we were introduced to different S.H.I.E.L.D. agents as well as other new dangers in the Marvel Cinematic Universe.

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

We won't go into specific reviews for each episode. We have reviewed some on the episode pages HERE. The season had some high and low points. Overall, the series progressively got better. We had some mysteries building throughout. Of course there was the question of what happened to Coulson. There was also an unknown threat called "The Clairvoyant." The series had some ties to Thor: The Dark World and Jaimie Alexander reprised her role as Sif. Nick Fury and Maria Hill also popped in, along with some other minor Marvel characters.

The show took a big turn after the events of Captain America: The Winter Soldier occurred. If you've seen Winter Soldier, you know that movie pretty much changed everything for the Cinematic Universe. The affects were felt in the show it a big way, taking it down a darker path. It was a gutsy move to completely tear down the status quo of a show and some characters three-fourths of the way through the season.

I remember hearing some complaints about the lack of Marvel characters in the show. That's understandable. At times the show did feel a little isolated. In the movies, we saw big fantastical characters and super-powers. Of course you can't do that every week in a television show. And some characters would be better suited for a big theatrical release rather than a simple cameo appearance. But with the show going through some changes and the reports we've heard so far, things are looking great. Another reason to pick up this release and get caught up on the show.

No Caption Provided

Special Features

Of course you have to have special features. There were a few bits included. These are definitely for those invested in the show. You have your gag reel and deleted scenes that most would enjoy. The other ones are a little more technical, which is cool to see, as well as a little personal, in the first one.

Journey Into S.D.C.C. (13:14)

We get to see them preparing for SDCC. This was their first real public appearance together. There were problems with the bus on the way to San Diego. We see their reaction to all the Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. signage around San Diego and all the people getting ready for the convention. “It was fun and overwhelming.” Their first time getting ready to face the ballroom. They had no idea how many people would be there. We see them watching the pilot episode together. It's nice to see them as "real people" adjusting to everything this entails.

Field Reports

No Caption Provided

The Field Reports let us see some behind-the-scenes action. We often take the action scenes for granted so it's nice to see some of the "secrets" in how things happened.

Field Report 103B “The Malibu Jump” (2:54) Filming on location in Malibu. Special FX and stunts.

Field Report 110 “The Bridge” (3:39) The bridge scene. Filmed at the Port of Long Beach.

Field Report 115 “Asgardian Bar Fight” (3:08) Lorelei and Sif. Filming out in the desert. Jaimie Alexander back as Sif.

Field Report 117 “Classified” (4:17) When Hydra has infiltrated. Actors dealing with the betrayal. Everyone was surprised.

Field Report 119 “Cello Duet” (3:46) Amy Acker playing the role of the Cellist, the lady in Coulson life.

Here's a clip of "The Malibu Jump" feature and "Asgardian Bar Fight" to get an idea of what these entail.

VFX Progressions

Lola Takes Flight (1:09) How they made Lola fly.

Free Falling (1:36) Jumping out of the plane. Green screen action.

Bloopers of S.H.I.E.L.D. (6:32)

You know what to expect here.

Deleted Scenes (6:56)

Eight different deleted scenes from various episodes.

No Caption Provided

The twenty episodes will run for a total of 946 minutes. The audio and video of the release is top notch as you'd expect. Both DVD and Blu-ray sets are really reasonably priced considering it's a full season. The show may not be for everyone but it does have a lot of heart. I'm looking forward to watching the next season with my daughter and you should look into catching up on the first season if you haven't already.

TommytheHitman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

This show got a second season by the skin of its teeth. I may rent this at some point however I wasn't impressed by some of the episodes I caught later (I.E: The Sif Episode and the Finale).

Let's hope Season 2 is better and gets it right.

Avatar image for knightsofdarkness2
    Knightsofdarkness2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Haven't watched the show yet. Too busy watching Arrow.

MatthewParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

Super excited for season 2!!!

Avatar image for amazing_webhead
    amazing_webhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 20

Nice special features. I do love me some bells & whistles.

Rabbitearsblog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 79

User Lists: 3

I might pick this up since I haven't been keeping up with the show lately, but hopefully Season 2 gets better.

starz007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 3

If this show continues to improve as it did throughout the first season, I will continue to watch it. If it plateaus, I might drop it and head to one of the new DC shows.

RazzaTazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1887

User Lists: 79

#7  Edited By RazzaTazz

I binge-watched this a couple of weeks ago. It was ok and did get better. Skye was an especially interesting character, and would be cool to see in Marvel Comics even if the series doesn't last.

consafo80

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I kept missing this when it was on tv but the few episodes I caught I enjoyed. I'll pick this up when it comes out in UK.

viin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

the only thing that keeps this show going is the little red marvel logo...otherwise about 3% of this show is actually Marvel.

TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

I'll admit I was one of the fans who really disliked this show, but after going back and finishing the season, I'll admit that the show got a lot better once Hydra came into the picture.

I personally can't wait to see what season two brings with Coulson slowly rebuilding S.H.I.E.L.D. and dealing with super-human threats without all of the resources they had in the first season.

WheatStalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm watching the blu-ray now ... the show is more fun with back to back episodes. No commercials, for one thing, but I'm noticing a lot of details and clues and hints carrying over. I can follow the story much easier, in other words. Skye is ten times more interesting as a character, probably thanks to knowing her backstory beforehand. Agent May is my girl, and now that we know about Grant Ward ... the undertones of the show really stand out. It's a lot more entertaining watching episode after episode. Season Two is going to be bonkers.

SynCig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 45

#12  Edited By SynCig

I thought this show was okay. I defended it pretty consistently last year because I think judging a show too harshly after one or two episodes is ridiculous. That said, I doubt I'll be watching season 2 as it airs. Supernatural and Agents of SHIELD will be on at the same time and I find Supernatural much more entertaining. I'll be recording the episodes but I rarely have time to actually go back and watch the recordings on my DVR so Idk if/when I'll actually see them.

Avatar image for deactivated-59dbfb60c4f7c
    deactivated-59dbfb60c4f7c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I find it odd on how sparse the acting credits are on some of the main cast. Chloe Bennet (skye) has really only been in a few things

rev_sulphur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

I tried watching it twice and twice I got as far as an episode or two past the one with the handle in the tree. I just found it really boring does it get any better or does it just follow the same villain of the week sort of format.

Thorverine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Show is great. The Winter Soldier tie in at the end was unbelievable. It was like having two one hour Winter Soldier episodes. If Gotham is half as good as those episodes it will be an awesome show. I can't wait for season two and the rebuilding of Shield. They will probably start building toward a Cap 3 tie in is my guess. Skye's origin and May's "special abilities" should be exciting as well once they are revealed.

sparty-dbq

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bought it alongside Cap 2. Really wanted to like it more than I did, though. Really hoping they step up their game and keep up the momentum they built up at the end of the season.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.