Comic Book Question of the Week: What did you think of 'Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.?'

• 62 results
Posted by k4tzm4n (35237 posts) - - Show Bio

The Marvel Studios universe is spilling into our TVs! Tonight, the long-awaited Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. finally premieres. We'll be checking out Joss Whedon's show (how can we possibly resist more of Clark Gregg?), but we want to know what you think of it!

After you've watched the first episode, visit the poll (link provided below) and cast your vote! As always, we more than welcome you to also explain why the certain poll option earned your vote. Please remember to use spoiler tabs if you're going to talk about something... you know, spoilery, though!

CLICK HERE TO VOTE!!!

Voting will remain open until Friday morning (ET). After the poll closes, we'll have an updated feature on the homepage with the results, extra opinions and more. So, don't forget to check back then!

And seriously, please remember use spoiler tabs when applicable.

Staff
#1 Posted by nickzambuto (11471 posts) - - Show Bio

zomg it's luke cage

#2 Edited by mcbean (288 posts) - - Show Bio

It was ok

#3 Posted by longbowhunter (5872 posts) - - Show Bio

I've got it DVRed. I'll watch it in the morning when I get off work.

#4 Edited by fullmetaladam (35 posts) - - Show Bio

Have to wait until Friday night at 8pm (Noon, PST) to watch it as I live in UK. Big fans of the comics but do I actually have to watch the first Captain America movie, Iron man 2 & 3 and Avengers Assemble (As it's called here) first?

I already know about the death and "resurrection" of Agent Coulson

#5 Posted by Grimoire (505 posts) - - Show Bio

It was not bad. I'll watch more of it.

#6 Posted by War Killer (19524 posts) - - Show Bio

Having watched the first episode, I liked it and look forward to future episodes.

#7 Posted by blkson (785 posts) - - Show Bio

meh.

Not something I'm going to be tuning in to watch often.

I'll give another episode or two. But I was underwhelmed

#8 Posted by blkson (785 posts) - - Show Bio
#9 Posted by Fetts (4095 posts) - - Show Bio

I thought it was pretty good. It's definitely not my favorite show now, but it's good enough. I hope they work on expanding the MU with characters from the comic more though, rather than making up their own characters.

#10 Posted by MatKrenz (1224 posts) - - Show Bio

Im hooked.

#11 Posted by Eternelle (1070 posts) - - Show Bio

Have to wait until Friday night at 8pm (Noon, PST) to watch it as I live in UK. Big fans of the comics but do I actually have to watch the first Captain America movie, Iron man 2 & 3 and Avengers Assemble (As it's called here) first?

I already know about the death and "resurrection" of Agent Coulson

There are slight references to the characters involved in the Avengers movies and to an element of Iron Man 3, but those are really more Easter eggs. They do a really tidy job of summing up what had happened to get them to this stage in story without going into exposition about it.

So the short answer is, no. You don't need to have seen any of those movies (or really even have read the comics) in order to follow what's happening.

#12 Edited by Super_SoldierXII (5913 posts) - - Show Bio

Sadly, it was what I had expected. Bad acting for the most part. Forgetful 'cliched' characters, also for the most part.

Lacks a "hook" one might expect from a 'first' episode. I'll give it a few more chances. But I see it as a mindless romp, with drama that'll seldom move or shock, riddled with lackluster action sequences spoiled by predictable outcomes. The only highlight being possible cameos from iconic heroes to massage the inner fanboy in us all.

I only hope they don't wait too long to wow us ... as they may lose their audience along the way.

I'd love something akin to a "Boardwalk Empire" or "Game of Thrones" level of attention to drama, character development, action, realism and detail with the "super hero" themed SHIELD espionage and military operations slapped on the cover.

I can but dream, I know ...

#13 Posted by pauatt (24 posts) - - Show Bio

I liked it. Thought it was fun.

#14 Edited by EvilPenguin543 (167 posts) - - Show Bio

It was an okay start, nothing special but not sucky. Hopefully it gets to the levels of awesomeness delivered by the movies. It was a tad too predictable at times. I'll stick around a bit longer, but if I'm still not hooked I'm giving up on it.

#15 Edited by The Stegman (20875 posts) - - Show Bio

I wish it wasn't on ABC, it felt so white bread and cheesy. They tried way too hard to be "witty and sarcastic" with the dialogue. Was a mediocre start.

#16 Posted by haydenclaireheroes (8760 posts) - - Show Bio

Here is my review for the episode:

#17 Posted by Burnstar1230 (206 posts) - - Show Bio

it just felt like I was watching a downgraded, less-suspenseful version of "The Avengers". It was okay for the movie, but for a television show, it could get dull after awhile. Then again, that was only the first episode, so hopefully Whedon delivers

#18 Posted by AlKusanagi (554 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm in, although bloody Time Warner picked a perfect time for all their HD channels to go out here and I had to watch is in crappy lo-res.

#19 Edited by nerdSmokeja (26 posts) - - Show Bio

sky can get it :D

What did they mean by Coulson can never know though? Did i miss something?

#20 Posted by AlKusanagi (554 posts) - - Show Bio

@nerdsmokeja: They're implying that his near death experience and recovery might not be what he thinks it was.

#22 Posted by Mandrewgora (282 posts) - - Show Bio

excited to see another, it was fun.

#23 Posted by sanityisoverrated (23 posts) - - Show Bio

Honestly, I was never really going to be a fan of this show. While I enjoyed The Avengers, and Agent Coulson, this show lacked something from conception that really irked me. The fact that there are no actual characters from the comics. And the thing they included from Iron Man 3, well I loathed that movie to begin with so that really was not a selling factor for me. As for the acting, it was rather sub-par to be quite blunt, even Coulson seemed a bit strained to be honest. All I can say is thank god Walking Dead stars back soon!

#24 Posted by Dabee (2359 posts) - - Show Bio

That was a pretty kickass 60 minutes.

#25 Posted by Zadoulo (77 posts) - - Show Bio

I didn't like it :/. I expected more.

#26 Posted by StMichalofWilson (3412 posts) - - Show Bio

This episode was okay. The show has potential, I wouldn't mind seeing another episode and if it's good, I'll give the rest of the season a try.

#27 Posted by CrazyScarecrow (1020 posts) - - Show Bio

@sanityisoverrated: Walking Dead or 60's Batman have to be the best live action comic shows ever. They were so true to the comics.

#28 Edited by RedheadedAtrocitus (6885 posts) - - Show Bio

Only one part of that show really intrigued me..

Dr. Streiten: "He doesn't know, does he?"

Maria Hill: "He must never know..."

Mere speculation but...I think Coulson is still dead

#29 Posted by Smart_Dork_Dude (2520 posts) - - Show Bio
#30 Posted by Michael_Moran (86 posts) - - Show Bio
#31 Posted by dondave (27342 posts) - - Show Bio

@nerdsmokeja: They're implying that his near death experience and recovery might not be what he thinks it was.

He's probably a Life-Model Decoy

#32 Posted by kilomac29 (319 posts) - - Show Bio

DVR'd that bad boy, got something in the mail today that took viewing precedence

#33 Posted by inferiorego (20605 posts) - - Show Bio

As far as pilots go, it was good; however, the scale for pilots goes from "horrible trash" to "pretty good." I've never been blown away by a pilot.

Staff
#34 Posted by Gotham331 (162 posts) - - Show Bio

Meh...

#35 Posted by StrikeHavok (15 posts) - - Show Bio

It was a good start, I'll be watching more. Hopefully it will build up to be something special.

#36 Posted by Gotham331 (162 posts) - - Show Bio

Where was this version of Coulson in the Avengers?

#37 Posted by IDontLikeBirds (172 posts) - - Show Bio

Haven't watched it yet, but I'll give it a shot and stick with it a bit. I'm not expecting a lot like some people are (this IS on ABC Family, not HBO). It's a pilot, they're testing the waters, see how it pans out a bit.

#38 Posted by isaac_clarke (5448 posts) - - Show Bio

It was very piloty and very Whedon; which is good. You had some references to back-stories yet to be revealed, a ton of fan service and a great ending with Lola. I wouldn't mind if they turned on some more lights though. Although this series might take a season to start soaring like Whedon's other works (do you guys remember the Angel / Buffy pilots?)

Although I admit Coulson was awesome - but given he's an established character that is no surprise.

Where was this version of Coulson in the Avengers?

Becoming more or less a ghost - dead to anyone short of level 7 probably weighs in on the character.

#39 Edited by lifeboy (1630 posts) - - Show Bio

Of coarse it was good! How about that part where that explosion happened. And the when that guy with the hair takes out that gun and the other part where the guy is reaching over to get that thing. You know what I'm talking about, come'on. And if any body wants to talk with me about this show, let me know. I can talk about this All day! :D

#40 Posted by Gotham331 (162 posts) - - Show Bio

He was as close to what he was prior to avengers. I like this Coulson.

#41 Edited by Perfect 10 (865 posts) - - Show Bio
#42 Posted by evilvegeta74 (4520 posts) - - Show Bio

@blkson said:

meh.

Not something I'm going to be tuning in to watch often.

I'll give another episode or two. But I was underwhelmed

I'll have to le the show grow on me!

#43 Posted by dreamfall31 (474 posts) - - Show Bio

Liked the characters, it definately has the Whedon charm to boot also. Thought the episode was just alright. I hope it gets better though!

#44 Posted by MechaShadow84 (5 posts) - - Show Bio

If they find a way to put Dum Dum Dugan in this, I'm in.

#45 Posted by jtellez447 (1 posts) - - Show Bio

I can't stand Ward. I tried but mentally tuned the fuck out.

#46 Posted by lostlantern13 (859 posts) - - Show Bio

Very Whedony and that makes me happy. I'll be watching every week and eventually cursing when he kills Fitz or Simmons. Hopefully, ABC doesn't get in the way and lets Marvel and the Whedon braintrust do their thing.

#47 Edited by Nova`Prime` (4140 posts) - - Show Bio

As far as pilots go, it was good; however, the scale for pilots goes from "horrible trash" to "pretty good." I've never been blown away by a pilot.

That's exactly what I was thinking. One reason you almost never see a pilot on tv, they are usually never as thought out and developed as the other shows.

I'll most likely give it a season.

#48 Posted by inferiorego (20605 posts) - - Show Bio

@inferiorego said:

That's exactly what I was thinking. One reason you almost never see a pilot on tv, they are usually never as thought out and developed as the other shows.

I'll most likely give it a season.

It's based on a comic book. I'll watch it even if it's the worst thing ever.

Staff
#49 Posted by Mister_Sensational (174 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't know about anyone else but I got goose bumps when that S.H.I.EL.D doctor/scientist guy says to Maria Hill regarding Coulson "He really doesn't know does he?" and she responds "Of course he doesn't know. He can never know." Did anybody else catch that? And if you did, tell me if you think that was indicative of whether the Phil Coulson in this show is a Life Model Decoy or the Phil Coulson in the Avengers film was one.

#50 Posted by Avilon (70 posts) - - Show Bio

It was alright, it could have been better, could have been a lot worse. My verdict is still not out yet. Hopefully its good.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.