Comic Book Question of the Week Results: What did you think of 'Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.?'

• 64 results
    k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. is finally here! The debut was a huge hit for Marvel and ABC, luring in over 12 million viewers. Comic Vine's Editor-in-Chief Tony 'G-Man' Guerrero gave the first episode a positive review, but we also wanted to see how everyone else feels about the premiere. Because of that, we decided to let you all speak your mind in the 'Question of the Week's' latest poll. So, how'd the CV community feel about the show's first effort? Love it? Hate it? A resounding 'meh?' Well, 37% of you dug it and said you'll definitely tune in next week!

No Caption Provided

I can understand why most of you voted "pretty good." There was an abundance of Joss Whedon's signature humor, more of the charismatic Clark Gregg is always a good thing, and there was plenty of fan service packed into the episode. But, there certainly were some tropes and two specific characters were hardly well-received. Then again, this is only the first episode, so the show has plenty of room to grow and develop. Hopefully instead of trying to juggle characters equally (an understandable move for the first episode, though) we get can a bigger spotlight on specific individuals in each episode and, of course, focus more on the allegedly big threat S.H.I.E.L.D. is facing. Let's just hope the twist with Agent Coulson surprises us instead of being the super obvious (*cough* LMD *cough*). All in all, it was absolutely a fun debut and just like most of you, I'll definitely check out the next episode.

Here's the full poll results:

• Pretty good. I'll tune in again. 37%
    • Loved it! I'm hooked! 26%
    • Eh, it was alright. 17%
    • It's still on my DVR. 12%
    • It was kind of disappointing. Not sure yet if I'll watch the second episode. 4%
    • Really didn't like it and I'm not bothering with the next episode. 4%

Check back next Tuesday for an all-new Question of the Week! Do you have an idea for a good/topical question? Be sure to recommend it below or tell Gregg via Twitter.

Avatar image for turel_hash_ak_gik
    turel_hash_ak_gik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

so 80% of comicvine likes the show. marvelOUS.

Avatar image for allstarsuperman
    AllStarSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

it was good, dat ending was stupid though

Om1kron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

I think you hit caps lock and typed marvel and let go for the ous.

sasquatch888

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i think the show has alot of potential

Overlander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 3

It was pretty good, but kinda flat. I kept waiting for it to bust out and start getting nuts, but then I kept reminding myself, "This is television."

GodDamnIronMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

it was good, dat ending was stupid though

you mean flying car at the end? how is that stupid?

they has to establish a boundary of what is possible in the universe, so the following episodes can explore into more.

AllStarSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

JamDamage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By JamDamage

well, it seems people on here just love Arrow, and that show got stupid as hell. It's like General Hostpital meets Batman, and so far people on here are saying the Agents is okay sooooooooooooooooooooooooo. I have the 1st DVR'd. I'll check it out in a bundle of 3 or 4.

ccraft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

@goddamnironman: the car wasn't dumb, it's how it was executed, too cheese..

I didn't really like the pilot, not much interested in the 2nd episode either, but I hope it's better than the first.

Avatar image for smart_dork_dude
    Smart_Dork_Dude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#10  Edited By Smart_Dork_Dude
    Avatar image for turel_hash_ak_gik
    turel_hash_ak_gik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

AllStarSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@smart_dork_dude: I agree with this:

@ccraft said:

@goddamnironman: the car wasn't dumb, it's how it was executed, too cheese..

I didn't really like the pilot, not much interested in the 2nd episode either, but I hope it's better than the first.

Iron_Turtle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well, given how heavily tied into the movie universe this is. I really hope Coulson is an LMD and will eventually become Ultron.

Unlikely as that may be.

Supreme_Maj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I liked the flying car in the end is kind of an homage for Nick Fury Agent of shield in the old days....

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#15  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

If they have a giaaaaaaaant flying ship which can cloak, I have no problem whatsoever with a flying car.

NoahMcnasty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

is it me or has marvel become a little to campy. I prefer gritty hard nosed storys hopefully that's what the new gotham tv series will be like

nappystr8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 5

#17  Edited By nappystr8

I thought it was better than pretty good, but it didn't reach the level of love for me either. Not quite sure which category I would have voted for. Hoping it will find it's footing in the episodes to come and truly be worthy of loving.

I squealed so hard when Coulson's car started flying. The flying cars are possibly my favorite aspect of SHIELD in the comics. I thought they might wait a few episodes to reveal that. Also, it will be interesting to find out, but I'm still pretty sure Coulson is an LMD.

dorsk188

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Who were the two characters people didn't like? I didn't have strong feelings about any of them, except my ongoing man-crush on Clark Gregg.

is it me or has marvel become a little to campy.

Well, Iron Man started the Cinematic Universe off clever and funny, and Joss Whedon (if nothing else) is perpetually self-aware. Where those two circles coincide in the Venn Diagram is camp. Especially if you have a somewhat constricted budget.

Superbat420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jamdamage: that's not what arrow is at all, yea the love craps stupid but its the cw. But to say its general hospital meets batman is a bold assumptiom

Superbat420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Superbat420

@iron_turtle: you my friend have the right idea, its better then Jarvis becoming ultron... With coulston it would Atleast have a connection and that revenge factormagainst the avengers, better then some stupid computer wanting complete control, haven't we seen that already? Skynet was the name.

Mxyzptlk_CV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for themanintheshoe
    TheManInTheShoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

Didn't get the chance to vote, but I really liked. I loved The Avengers and I could feel the tone of the movie in the show. And though some would say the jokes were lame I found them very amusing.

Mucklefluga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

You probably should have asked this after it aired in the UK.

sentryman555

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I liked it enough where I'll tune in again but my problem with the show is besides Coulson I just don't care about any of the characters. Maybe fitts and simmons....maybe. I feel Sky is just there to be the hot girl.

saoakden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

I like the show. I'll be watching the series. This is the second Joss Whedon show that I like and probably the third I've seen. I really liked Angel, don't care that much for Buffy, and I'm liking Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. It might turn into my favorite Marvel show at this rate. Still need to check out some of the shows Marvel is putting out right now.

wade_wilson22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

For Super Hero memes click here: LINK

millennium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

the show felt forced to me like for example the jokes, the characters (expect coulson) and the over all the plot hopefully the second episode wont be as bad as the first but im not holding my breath on that

Dark Cloud™

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was excited about the show before I ever watched the pilot episode. And I'm still looking forward to the next episode. Though it retained Coulson's humor from the movies, I feel it was a tad dry at moments, but otherwise enjoyable. I'm kind of hoping that Michael becomes an active member of the cast, part of the team. Having someone like him would bring a lot of diversity and physical power.

jorgeareizaga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

THIS SHOW IS B O R I N G!!

spidershamrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It was good, fairly cheesy and the some dialogue needs improvement but all in all i enjoyed it

Avatar image for deactivated-5c901e667a76c
    deactivated-5c901e667a76c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I didn't see it. Should I have?

Mega_spidey01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i thought it was great !

Avatar image for fallschirmjager
    Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 16

#35  Edited By Fallschirmjager

@xwraith said:

I didn't see it. Should I have?

Meh. Not really.

_Stretch_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By _Stretch_

@xwraith: A few laughs, some references to the cinematic universe. If you enjoyed Avengers, or Coulson? Then yeah, check it out :)

Avatar image for deactivated-5c901e667a76c
    deactivated-5c901e667a76c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_rumor: I liked Avengers, but I don't see what the big deal about Agent Coulson is.

_Stretch_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xwraith: He seems to just be the most prominent human anchor in a world of super heroes.

fullmetalquach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There are A list comic books characters like Cap, Iron Man, Spidey, and other commonly known heroes/teams. Then there are B list comic books characters like Luke Cage, Dr. Strange, Iron Fist, etc. This show is like taking a bunch of C list original characters and putting them together. Its using a lot of references to the Marvel Cinematic Universe, which is fine as long as they tone it down because that will get old fast. They have to establish themselves as being in the same universe, but as a separate entity and not just ride the coat tails of The Avengers' success. If the first season is like the first episode, I'll probably drop it. Never really like Colby Smulders as Maria Hill and the SHIELD only parts of the Avengers (mostly the beginning) seemed kind of off and awkward to me. This show is carrying that awkwardness around with it in my opinion and Coulson's charm is best used as comic relief than as a highlight of a main character in the show. Still wanna see the twist about him, but if the show is bad I have no problem reading spoilers about it on the internet.

Avatar image for super_soldierxii
    Super_SoldierXII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Average, predictable, lackluster and run of the mill come to mind.

It's just more of the same really.

I'll stick with Game of Thrones, Walking Dead, Boardwalk Empire, Breaking Bad and their ilk for my T.V fix. The lines of demarcation in quality, realism, drama, action, storytelling and character development, should we dare to compare, are all too apparent.

Regardless, the comic book fanboy in me might tune into an episode here and there mind you.

GothamRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

#41  Edited By GothamRed
    sinestro_GL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 8

Eh, not bad, not great.

Some characters are a bit campy, but I'll let the show progress before deciding whether I like it or not...

dreamfall31

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By dreamfall31

It had the makings of a Whedon production, but was missing the interesting plot element. It was has some fun characters and the dialogue was hands down the most interesting part of it. I'll watch it more as it's pretty much the only show on now to watch, but I hope the plots get more complex than just a "Super Power Mystery of the Week" show! The plane set did give me some Firefly vibes though so I'll stick around for a while!

Spartan101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

yeah i was happy with it,not over cooked on marvels big players,sorta see shields other work away from thor,hulk,ironman etc etc etc,,should only get better.

Avatar image for madeinbangladesh
    MadeinBangladesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

User Lists: 172

It was ok. Has a lot of potential but the characters seem cheesy. I give it 7/10 for the pilot.

bigtewell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By bigtewell

i think people should give it a few more episodes before saying its bad. pilots are always a bit slow since they have to establish EVERYONE. once they have their episodes more focused it should be great. i have faith in whedon. i also hope it doesnt get dark since theres way too many shows like that and this should be different. also why are people complaining about a flying car? they have a fucking flying fortress that can cloak itself i think they can have a flying car. it reminded me of nick fury agent of shield. overall i say this has great potential

deadpool25mm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wade_wilson22: Lol thanks for link.
    the show is not that great... but its got potential. plus.. Coulson is an LMD..

Final Arrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

It was meh, it may go somewhere but so far I have not been impressed, if I had to rate the first episode I would give it a 5/10.
    It was just a lot of the same old story, I get that it needs to be like that you know, but throw some curve balls in there, some of the acting was.....questionable, but they also have some awesome actors backing it up and the two scientist types did have me laughing a little. It has potential to be good, but also has the potential to fall on it's face.

My verdict: Undecided

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.