Agents of SHIELD Interview: Jeffrey Bell on Returning Characters, Secrets and a Cliffhanger

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck

Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. is about to reach it's mid-season break. It is the holiday season after all and people tend to get busy with all the festivities. Thankfully we won't have too long to wait for the show to return and we also found out the show's momentum will be picking up.

What can we expect in this week's episode, "The Bridge"? We had the chance to talk to the show's Executive Producer, Jeffrey Bell about the episode as well as try to find out as much as we could about what to expect in the second half of the season.

No Caption Provided

COMIC VINE: Let me start out by saying my daughter loves the show.

JEFFREY BELL: My daughter is twelve and she loves the show. As a guy who was working on Sparticus a year and a half ago, it's kind of nice to have a how where your kid and her friend go, "Oh my god, I love that show."

One of the things I love about the Marvel movies is they do that, the kids can love it and hopefully the Marvel fans and the parents of the Marvel fan can all dig it.

CV: How big of a role does J. August Richards (returning as Mike Peterson) play in the next episode?

JB: He's the guest star. I would say it's as big as it was in the pilot. The difference is the place that he's in. Rather than being a down on his luck guy who the world's against, he's a guy who's cleaned up and is working hard. He's trying to prove to our team that sparing him at the end was a great thing. He has a second chance and he's determined to prove they made the right call in doing so.

No Caption Provided

CV: Any chance of him becoming a more active part of the team? We see him wearing a S.H.I.E.L.D. outfit.

JB: I would say anything is possible. I will say that Coulson and Mike are twins. No, Mike is working with our team this time versus against our team. He's on the Bus with us and he still has his punching powers. It's fun to have a person like that on the team.

CV: The description of the episode mentions Coulson "taking the war back to Centipede." Does this mean the team is being more proactive rather than investigating something after the fact?

JB: Yes. One of the things that I think we're doing, in general with this series, is if we're doing 22 episodes, we're coming to the midpoint of the movie. In the first half there were a lot of what I felt were stand alone stories, but we were actually setting up different pieces of our mythology. A lot of those start coming together now in episode 10. You'll start to see these different things coming together. As our team puts that together, they're going to become more active in tracking those down. There's a little bit of that in 10 but as we go forward, I would say there's more and more of that happening. So rather than, "Oh look there's a thing over here. Let's go see what it is," it's like, "This is Centipede. We have to shut them down. Let's go." I think there's going to be a little more drive and a little more momentum in the upcoming stories because of that.

CV: Will we see more of the history of the Marvel Universe or history of S.H.I.E.L.D. in future episodes?

JB: Uhm…[pauses] Yeah, we explore…I was thinking in episode 7 we went to the Hub, which was part of S.H.I.E.L.D. and I don't think it's a spoiler to say we're going to go to S.H.I.E.L.D. Academy and see what that is. We're looking to explore more aspects of S.H.I.E.L.D. Some of it will tie into history or characters that people might know names of from the Marvel Universe, if not Marvel movies. I think we're trying to live a little bit more in that world. I think that's the fairest thing to say.

No Caption Provided

CV: Will we see more on the files they have on people with powers (the "Index")?

JB: Yeah, that's sort of S.H.I.E.L.D. keeping an eye on people and things that are deemed potentially dangerous or aberrant or powerful like the dude in episode 5 ("The Girl in the Flower Dress"). We'll reference that and there will be other opportunities for other people to be on that.

CV: Are we going to find out more about Skye's past this season?

JB: Oh yeah! Very much so. Yes. [pauses] We've aired episode 9 and we're currently breaking episode 16. I have 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 and 15 in my head. I need to remember where we were. So yes, both the audience and Skye are going to learn more about her past.

CV: Nice. Can you tell us anything about the information that just came out about the new team members in the14th episode? [Casting notices went online revealing "…an African-American agent who specializes in combat/weapons, and a high-level S.H.I.E.L.D. agent/munitions expert who has past ties to both Coulson and Ward."]

JB: We like when we bring in characters that knew our characters from a different time. It's fun to see how our characters are different than when they were. We can use these guest actors to see our characters in new ways and to create conflict and tension and sexy sexy within our group as it is.

We're just bringing some people in. I'm not saying we're looking for new cast or anything like that. There are some S.H.I.E.L.D. Agents in many episodes and these two we think will be a lot of fun.

CV: Will we see any follow up on (Graviton) Dr. Franklin Hall [Ian Hart "The Asset"]?

JB: You know, all I'll say is we're aware of everything we've set up. Sometimes it takes longer to pay things off than other times. We're aware of everything we've set up. Our goal is to never set something up that we don't sooner or later eventually pay off.

CV: Then we can expect Victoria Hand to appear again?

JB: I would say that seems fair.

CV: Will you have a chance to write any more episodes? [Bell wrote "0-8-4" and "Eye Spy"]

JB: I'm writing episode 14. Hopefully I'll get time to do one more before the season is done. We have a really good staff and we're sharing the love. Hopefully by the end we'll all have done two or three or four. That's the goal. Right now I'm doing 14.

No Caption Provided

CV: You kind of touched on this a little bit before, with the second half of the season, is the direction and tone going to be changing a little bit?

JB: I would say it's evolving. Different pieces that have been set up are starting to come together. When that happens, you start to see momentum. I would say there's going to be more momentum in the back half. Though the stories will still stand alone, they will be connected more emotionally. You might go after a person you already know. If you didn't know who that person was, you can still enjoy that episode but for a loyal viewer, it would feel more mythology or serialized without it being one giant twelve-hour back half of the show.

CV: Do we know when the show is coming back after this mid-season break?

JB: January 7. I think we're off three weeks.

CV: What can you tell us about the big cliffhanger coming up? Does it have anything to do with Tahiti? Anything you can hint at?

JB: I can comment that it is a big cliffhanger and if we're doing our job right, it will tie into one of the things you're interested in or care about. That's about all I can say.

Marvel's Agent's of S.H.I.E.L.D. airs Tuesday, December 10 (8:00-9:01 p.m. ET/PT) on the ABC Television Network.

Update

Here's a preview for the episode.

Mucklefluga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

You can make it to the mid-season finale Sam, I know you can do this ;D

Avatar image for allstarsuperman
    AllStarSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

I am 3 episodes behind, I should get around to watching them.

Overlander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 3

Cryptic, but I am hopeful the second half of the season improves over the first.

Mellow_Hype

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I just wish they'd introduce a lot more actual marvel characters

PapiNacho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

I liked the little Arrow vs Shield digg, in the last Green Arrow comic.

Avatar image for medulaoblaganda
    medulaoblaganda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

this show is not okay ? marvel can do better than this, only if they introduce lesser known characters like iron fist, daredevil, punisher, electra, and shang chi.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 the_stegman  Moderator

Man, I miss Angel...

Smurfboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

*excited*

Cannot wait.

Avatar image for madeinbangladesh
    MadeinBangladesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

User Lists: 172

#10  Edited By MadeinBangladesh

I liked the little Arrow vs Shield digg, in the last Green Arrow comic.

haha yea me too. I thought I was the only one who noticed it.

Surkit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So many wrong answers.

PapiNacho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

@madeinbangladesh: To be fair, I didn't really notice it. It was brought to my attention by the guys over at DCR podcast.

Maddpanda531

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Maddpanda531

Man, do I love this show. Despite all the internet hate, I still think that it's a great show and will certainly continue watching for as long as it airs.

Avatar image for stmichalofwilson
    StMichalofWilson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 107

Man, do I love this show. Despite all the internet hate, I still think that it's a great show and will certainly continue watching for as long as it airs.

Me too

TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

#15  Edited By TheBlueAngel93

The show may have had a bumpy start, but I feel it has gotten better in recent episodes. I'm looking forward to this weeks episode.

millennium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

so their going to 22 episodes and so far where 9 episodes in and the show is meh ( when a show has alot more negatives (7) than positives (2) it gets a meh and im being generous especially with the rating free falling like someone skydiving without a parachute) they need to fix this show fast because if the second half is eneything like the first and lets be honest it will be just like the references of the alien invasion of nyc this will be a very long long first season

o and befor i for get Tahiti its a magical place

Gotham331

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Gotham331

The producer said, "My daughter is twelve and she loves the show. "

Is this an indictment or what?

lifeboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

@papinacho: thanks bro! I didn't know there was an exclusive dc podcast ;)

Marshall_Long

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Marshall_Long

Did this show get any better? I stopped watching around episode 3 or 4.

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

New preview added to the original post. Or just check it out here:

Loading Video...

nerdork

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am a couple episodes behind, and i cant wait to watch them this Saturday morning. I am really enjoying this show...cant wait to see this momentum.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79
    deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh that token black guy returns. Okay.

HexThis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What about Akeela!? The girl with the bionic eye? That actress was amazing, she should be top priority on returning characters.

COBRAMORPH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just wish this show could pick up & actually be good. Arrow just blows it away.

Captain13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

@farkam: You don't know what "token" means.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79
    deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@farkam: You don't know what "token" means.

Pretty sure I do. You are just butthurt.

nappystr8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 5

I thought J. August Richards was the best thing about the pilot. I found him a little less convincing in this episode, but I really hope he joins the cast permanently.

Miss_Garrick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I love this show, and I really hope that Coulson is not going to be revealed as an LMD. Since that's what nearly every fan is guessing, to have it be that would be so anticlimactic.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.