gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck

The Good

It's not often we get to see immediate repercussions to decisions made in comics. Time travel stories can always get messy and Brian Bendis is showing us right away the results from Wolverine's plan to try to change the past to save the present. We'll just say Wolverine messed up in a bad way. Although you could definitely debate over which world is better off.

AGE OF ULTRON is become a giant WHAT IF..? story. I mean that in a way that we get to explore different situations. The world had been ravaged and numerous heroes were killed. What sets this apart is it's supposed to be happening in the current continuity. That still hasn't been fully explained as we're not seeing outside effects aside from the AU issues. Perhaps it will all make sense at the end.

It is always fun seeing different versions of familiar characters and you still get a sense of the unknown. We have no idea how everything will get rectified but we're assuming it all will by the end. Seeing these other versions of the characters and the things they do also give us a little insight into the regular versions. Knowing that they could be changed in this way is like watching a science experiment happen.

Brandon Peterson does a nice job in showing us some of the different versions, Iron Man especially. The action builds up and gets chaotic and Peterson's art captures the craziness.

The Bad

This is definitely a series I will be re-reading. Why I bring that up in this section is the series, so far, feels all over the place. Basically we have had three different directions so far in eight issues. When things heat up here, it's almost as if the craziness comes out of no where. Have we actually seen Ultron yet? It's almost as if he isn't even the overall threat here despite the title.

Not all stories can be judged as they unfold. I do still believe everything will tie together and we just might possibly get our minds blown. The idea that all this is part of current continuity is hard to swallow and we can't help but assume everything will get tied up in a neat fashion. There may be some repercussions but not to the extent we've been seeing.

The Verdict

AGE OF ULTRON is a book you can't look away from. There's been a lot going on and we can't help but wonder how it's all going to end to resolve it all. Bendis is giving us a chance to see the characters re-imagined and placed in crazy situations. Brandon Peterson's art manages to capture the different feel of these versions as well as cram the craziness that takes place towards the end. This is definitely a series that will have to be revisited once it's complete. I have no idea how this will all end. It does feel as if we're getting a lot of different things thrown at us. That can be a good thing. This series isn't exactly following the normal formula. Despite any reservations, I am still completely on board to see what's going to happen next.

Trevel8182

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 30

Tony's right this is a series I will defiantly have to re-read when it's over to get the full picture.

lifeboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 0

I've been keeping up with this through comicvine reviews. You all that are reading this are lucky.

Goochmiester

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I gave up reading this series after the last issue. I just feel it's going no-where fast and this is just another "alternate universe" (like Age of Apocalypse and House of M to name a few) where everything will be resolved in the end and one (or two at the most) characters from this alternate universe will be introduced into the regular universe.

I'm also disappointed that they changed artists half-way through a series, it was frustrating in Avengers Vs. Xmen and it's frustrating here. The writer is not the only person who should be accountable for continuity, the art should remain consistent in order to help with the flow of the story.

Marvel have had too many "events" over the last few years (Siege, House of M, Fear Itself, Skrull Invasion, Avengers Vs. Xmen, etc;), characters and series need time to breath and have their own life, not be interrupted by another Brian Michael Bendis storyline that has to involve every issue/character in the Marvel Universe. Dan Slott, Matt Fraction and many other great writers are trying to build stories and worlds in their own series yet have to accommodate/sacrifice the flow of their story to fit with yet another Marvel "event."

It really makes me want to stop reading Marvel in general... I'll just stick with the films.

Avatar image for herokiller12344
    Herokiller12344

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

You can really just tell they don't give a crap about this event anymore.

TheBlackHood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This series is just horrible. How Marvel can continue to justify making EVERY book about Wolverine is beyond me. The fact that they advertise next issue as Wolverine vs Wolverine has killed what little interest I had left in the series.

reignmaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By reignmaker

The more I hear about this series, the happier I am that I decided to skip it.

DarkxSeraph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By DarkxSeraph

This should have been a giant 'What If' from the start. Between this and ANXM, Bendis must be on a Time Travel Storyline kick.

SavageDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#8  Edited By SavageDragon

This was ok. I agree with review. I actually was really digging the story the first 3 issues but the past couple has left me just thinking "huh...ok". This issues story was interesting but at the end when a certain Sorceress makes her play I was just thinking "what the hell? now theirs another threat?" I hope Sue and Logan make their way back to the main universe because this world is really strange, and not particularly in a good way.

weenman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Miracleman?

Loki2u

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This event doesn't seem to have gotten very good ratings....I think I'm glad I avoided it.

HumanRocket

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11  Edited By HumanRocket

@lifeboy: u can read issues #1-6 on YouTube I've been reading it this way since issue #5 still waiting on issue 8 to be posted but from the previews I've seen they got me hooked on how this all ends.

DH69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12  Edited By DH69

This series has just gone so far off the rails, its just confusing to read.

Lightburst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Lightburst

So is this the Same 616 Wolverine? or different reality Wolverine?

GreenAvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really liked how this series began, regardless of the fact that there really wasn't much crossover with other current titles (maybe that's a good thing for those titles.) The post-apocalyptic vibe (Spidey getting kidnapped, Black Widow and Moon Knight bonding in a hideout) was awesome. I'm a new Marvel fan who's just started getting into the main comics; this was my first introduction to time-travel shenanigans, and I have to admit I'm sort of confused. Is the future where Cap and company went to kill Ultron irrelevant now since they pretty much got their heads blown off? And how is Bendis going to wrap things up if he's focusing so much on fleshing out the post-Pym-murder future? With only 2 more issues to go, I can't help but feel that the ending is going to be rushed and/or super convenient. Ah well, it's been a fun ride for me so far though, and I'm still gonna stick with it.

ptigrusmagus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By ptigrusmagus

GreenAvenger hang in there AOU has two more regular issues but also at LEAST two epilogues in the form of AOU 10 AU and AOU 10 UC. So 4-5 issues to straighten this out.

ILLO_29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theblackhood: I know right!? I'm enjoying the series enough to see through to the end. However I agree that this series the started with so many characters they've somehow whittled it down to being about wolverine.

Cruehead45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really hope this all comes together soon. I will definitely re read the series once it is finished, but to me the story that was originally written seems to of been thrown into the trash and they took it way off into left field. Don' get me wrong I'm enjoying it. But after Sue and Wolverine went back in time after Wolverine killed Pym and they attempted to go back that's when I started to scratch my head. The title of this Age of Ultron by that you would expect a story building off that. Now it just seems like they wrote another story and stuck it in this series. I can't pass full judgement on this series until it's completed. I do have a feeling though Infinity will blow this out of the water. But all in all I think Marvel is doing overkill on Avengers stories, guess we have the success of the movie to thank for that.

Med

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

every issue of Age of Ultron makes me feel like I missed an issue of Age of Ultron.

ThomasElliot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wut? I haven't been paying attn to this series... reading the reviews and comments... you mean Marvel is doing time travel and alternate timelines? Isn't there some other comic company who consistently gets pooped of for such things? Or, actually, not get pooped on, but hasn't Marvel themselves talked crap about such things?

Silly rant aside, think I'll have to go back and read this. I like this kind of thing tremendously.

M3th

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So Ultron won? They couldn't beat him so they had to use time travel. Wow

Earth_Clem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for madeinbangladesh
    MadeinBangladesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

User Lists: 172

So Where is Ultron exactly???

This series is ate of money

owie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#23 owie  Moderator

Have we actually seen Ultron yet?

Exactly.

I just don't see how they're going to wrap this all up satisfactorily in a couple more issues. It's got a lot going for it but so far we really haven't seen much about Ultron, and why he's become such a badass that he can wipe everyone out. Considering that this whole thing was hyped up to be about his battle with Kang a couple years ago in Avengers, I'm surprised to not see much about that yet (although I haven't read all the tie-ins, which have been mercifully small in number).

Also, clearly this isn't going to change much in the MU since almost all the normal books are just chugging along as per usual. They're all in the middle of huge story arcs, it's not like Avengers is going to drop the whole Black Swan storyline in a couple weeks, or that Spidey is going to stop plumbing the whole Superior storyline soon.

Avatar image for iron_fist_angel
    Iron Fist Angel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#24  Edited By Iron Fist Angel

Worst Marvel event I've read in quite some time.

Avatar image for comicaddict2814
    ComicAddict2814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just finished reading this issue. I was so excited for this series and really digging the first 6 issues, even issue 7 was cool to see the repercussions of...you know who's death. But, this last issue was just blah and confusing for me. Still no Ultron. Yet another threat that wasn't interesting to me at all. Possibly because I didn't read the Kree-Skrull war back in the 70's or whenever. Thank you comic vine for catching me up to speed on that with your resources, being that I wasn't alive yet. When I have to stop reading a comic to go Wiki or search Comic Vine for what the heck is going on, its just a hassle to read. Even worse than getting those dang AR panels to load. Haha. I work hard enough, I read comics for enjoyment. This is a let down for me. It's almost like Marvel themselves are clueless to where the story is going. So when in doubt feature an issue with Wolverine in it. Wolverine vs Wolverine Issue 9....ugh.....

Avatar image for v_scarlotte_rose
    V_Scarlotte_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

Just finished reading this issue. I was so excited for this series and really digging the first 6 issues, even issue 7 was cool to see the repercussions of...you know who's death. But, this last issue was just blah and confusing for me. Still no Ultron. Yet another threat that wasn't interesting to me at all. Possibly because I didn't read the Kree-Skrull war back in the 70's or whenever. Thank you comic vine for catching me up to speed on that with your resources, being that I wasn't alive yet. When I have to stop reading a comic to go Wiki or search Comic Vine for what the heck is going on, its just a hassle to read. Even worse than getting those dang AR panels to load. Haha. I work hard enough, I read comics for enjoyment. This is a let down for me. It's almost like Marvel themselves are clueless to where the story is going. So when in doubt feature an issue with Wolverine in it. Wolverine vs Wolverine Issue 9....ugh.....

What did you not get? I can't work out what you're referring to.

ComicAddict2814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@v_scarlotte_rose: It's not that I don't get it. It was just wasn't reader friendly for me since I only picked up comics again about 3 years ago.

V_Scarlotte_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@comicaddict2814: I think I just realised what you meant. There was a brief mention of the Kree/Snrull War wasn't there? Sorry about that, I read your post wrong.

You should read Kree/Skrull War though, it's really good. :)

ComicAddict2814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@v_scarlotte_rose: Thanks I was actually talking this issue over today with some others at my local comic shop. They filled me in on some history about the Skrulls and the Kree. I'm going to look into getting the trade and reading the war on my own. I'm looking forward to it.

V_Scarlotte_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@comicaddict2814: Cool. For further reading Kree and Skrull reading, I'd recommend Essential Captain Marvel Volume 1 for Kree, and Secret Invasion is a good Skrull story, if you haven't already read them. :)

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.