Age of Ultron #10

• 87 results
Posted by G-Man (30640 posts) - - Show Bio

The Good

AGE OF ULTRON was a series I wanted to like. From the beginning, you could see just how ambitious this story could be. Earth in the Marvel Universe had been utterly affected by Ultron's attack. We saw incredible changes and devastation with the promise that this was a story happening NOW and its affects would be felt.

With the final issue here, we see how that will be the case.

All the pieces fall into place here. How can the destruction of New York City and the deaths of countless main characters be reversed? There is a way, as we've seen slowly building the last couple issues. Brian Michael Bendis ties it all together. The how is explained and it's not just a simple bandaid placed over what happened. As Marvel promised, there will be affects trickling off from this. There is a big one seen towards the end, actually a couple things happen towards the end that will carry over into other books/series.

During one crucial moment, even though we know things have to work out, there is a high level of tension. Just because we think we know how it has to end, doesn't mean it will. There are many great artists on hand for this issue. Normally I have huge issues when the art changes but it doesn't feel like the usual distraction. Perhaps it's because you get pulled in, looking at each page carefully to try to catch any underlying clues or details about what could result from all this.

The Bad

This may be a series better read once collected. Partly in part of the delay in getting released in the beginning along with the numerous different directions the story took, it felt like this was all over the place. There were moments when readers weren't sure if there was an overall plan or outcome prepared. For a story with ULTRON in the title, we didn't see very much of him. This story was more than just about Ultron. A lot of what we saw almost feel unnecessary now with the way things were resolved. It's understandable to see the destruction and death in order to get a scope of how big a problem and threat was present. The inclusion of Wolverine being thrusted to the center of the spotlight also felt weird.

This isn't to say the series didn't have a purpose. It appears it will be changing the way things move forward in the Marvel Universe. It just didn't seem necessary to have it be told over ten issues. We were introduced to different things in the different time periods and now that it's over, it didn't really feel necessary.

The Verdict

Will AGE OF ULTRON change everything? It appears that it will. There has been some debate over the direction and purpose of certain elements of this series. We now see where it's been leading to. Brian Michael Bendis has opened the door to future storytelling possibilities in the Marvel Universe. That is the important thing about this series. It is the key moment that will allow different stories to come. The Marvel Universe has been affected by this story. It will be interesting to see how it pays off. You have to commend the series for the ambitious nature it took on. Ten issues may not have been needed but I am deeply curious to see what will result from Bendis' story.

Staff
#1 Posted by Phaedrusgr (1668 posts) - - Show Bio

Can't say I enjoyed the whole event. I was expecting something more...BTW first...

#2 Posted by Saren (25274 posts) - - Show Bio

This event......it's like they started it with something concrete in mind, before pausing and going "You know what? They'll buy anything anyway".

#3 Posted by Michael_Moran (86 posts) - - Show Bio

I have felt this story has been kind of scatter brained...it had a real strong start though. I still want to see how they introduce angela the spawn charecter

#4 Edited by TheAcidSkull (17272 posts) - - Show Bio

This was so, very bad.

#5 Posted by Mercy_ (92536 posts) - - Show Bio

This is the only issue of the entire arc that I read and purely for the consequences that it will clearly have to the rest of the Marvel U.

It was an underwhelming, if interesting, issue. Still not sure how I feel about it aside from that.

#6 Posted by dondave (34420 posts) - - Show Bio
#7 Posted by Trevel8182 (751 posts) - - Show Bio
@dondave said:

@theacidskull said:

This was so, very bad.

QFT

This is the worst Marvel event nothing is even close to how bad this was I like Bendis but he should never be allowed to spearhead or even write and event comic ever again.

#8 Posted by ekrolo (431 posts) - - Show Bio

Ive read this whole thing in a collected form and it doesn't help at all, it has a LOT of the same problems as Bendises Avengers in the sense that everyone sounds the same, everyone has the same personality and it just kills the usually great Bendis banter. Its insanely over written, there were entire sections that could have been cut out entirely and the book would have flowed much better.

The time travel stuff later on just became unbelievably confusing and convoluted, the art by both Hitch and Peterson here felt really lazy and in my opinion the two of them seemingly didn't give a crap while drawing this. But the biggest fault of this ENTIRE story is that its doesn't matter, at the end the time line corrects itself and everything goes back to Marvel, the only reason this entire story was even written was so that Angela could be brought into the Marvel universe.

Overall I would give Age of Ultron as a whole a 3/10. Its easily the worst thing Bendis has written yet.

#9 Edited by The Stegman (23041 posts) - - Show Bio

I haven't been buying it, because I refuse to buy most Marvel Events, but my friend has, and is forcing me to read it, all in all, I expected this to be one thing...but it was something else. Overall, very, very disappointing.

#10 Posted by TheAcidSkull (17272 posts) - - Show Bio

@mercy_ said:

This is the only issue of the entire arc that I read and purely for the consequences that it will clearly have to the rest of the Marvel U.

It was an underwhelming, if interesting, issue. Still not sure how I feel about it aside from that.

come now, you have to admit that it was terrible, it barely had to do anything with ultron, he was just in THIS issue for a few panels

#11 Edited by Bull_iod (46 posts) - - Show Bio

Disappointment is now spelt "Bendis"

I have really enjoyed his work in the past but like some directors that go off the boil and just become hacks I feel that Bendis has done his and should just stop. He is one of the reasons that I am quickly loosing interest in any and all marvel characters.

He ruined Moon Knight for me, I don't want him near any more of the characters I love.

#12 Posted by Mercy_ (92536 posts) - - Show Bio

@theacidskull: The issue itself, absolutely. The ramifications will be interesting to see, though.

#13 Posted by ULTRAstarkiller (5881 posts) - - Show Bio

I wish I could've read them all....I only have the first 4

#14 Edited by TheAcidSkull (17272 posts) - - Show Bio

@mercy_ said:

@theacidskull: The issue itself, absolutely. The ramifications will be interesting to see, though.

i guess, but at least mark waid is writing the point 1 issue, at least he knows how to write in general. jeez, im depressed, it was sooooo bad.

#15 Posted by Mucklefluga (2513 posts) - - Show Bio

Should have been called "Age of Wolverine featuring Hank Pym with a hint of apocalyptic destruction"

MARVEL I WANTED ULTRON IN AN ULTRON EVENT!

#16 Posted by Mercy_ (92536 posts) - - Show Bio

@theacidskull: I don't wanna be /that/ guy, but what were you expecting from a Marvel event?

#17 Posted by TheAcidSkull (17272 posts) - - Show Bio

@mercy_ said:

@theacidskull: I don't wanna be /that/ guy, but what were you expecting from a Marvel event?

Thats!.....a very good point actually, marvel hasn't had a good event since like, forever. but it's not just the event any more, some characters are getting butchered for no reason at all!

#18 Posted by OmgOmgWtfWtf (6942 posts) - - Show Bio

Bah, I'm a big Ultron fan and this had nothing to do with Ultron.

#19 Posted by Revendawn (45 posts) - - Show Bio

Age of Ultron was a big mess. It was infuriating to read and I'm so happy it is just done at this point. This story just felt like such a throw back to all the things that made comics really suck in 90's. Oddly enough they even sealed the issue in bags, which also helps capture that mentality.

Like him and his style or not, Bendis should do better than this. Like events or not, they should be better than this. The sad= part though is it sold well, they have another event coming up that I'm sure will have people saying "maybe this one will be good", and there is no real end in sight.

It's a shame, because the best "events" Marvel is putting out happen monthly or bi-monthly in their own books. These major shake-up events only hinder the potential of those and it's a real shame.

#20 Edited by Kerrigan (213 posts) - - Show Bio

Talk about ending not with a bang but a whimper. In fact, there's barely an ending at all: the actual Ultron-related conclusion felt almost like an afterthought, and the rest just throws up more unresolved confusion.

Thus far it seems like the whole point of the series was to (clumsily) introduce Angela into the Marvel U. I'm seriously underwhelmed, both with that in general and this overhyped issue in particular.

#21 Posted by Dabee (2380 posts) - - Show Bio

I really don't get all of the criticism this event has been facing, I have really enjoyed every issue and every crossover.

#22 Posted by AWeekInGeekdom (228 posts) - - Show Bio

Would it have been so hard to produce a terminator-esque story with a simple yet powerful Ultron conflict in the "future" instead of that weird "What If" with mindless plot diversions and wolverine as the main guy in 75% of the story?

I think they tried a lot with Age of Ultron but in the end, the story buckled under it's own weight. (if it had any)

#23 Posted by Revendawn (45 posts) - - Show Bio

@kerrigan said:

Talk about ending not with a bang but a whimper. In fact, there's barely an ending at all: the actual Ultron-related conclusion felt almost like an afterthought, and the rest just throws up more unresolved confusion.

Thus far it seems like the whole point of the series was to (clumsily) introduce Angela into the Marvel U. I'm seriously underwhelmed, both with that in general and this overhyped issue in particular.

Totally. I'll admit I don't have a history with that character, but if all they wanted was to set up that space and time is messed up in the Marvel universe, Galactus is now in the Ultimate Universe, and here is Angela, there has to be a better way.

The timeline stuff could have happened in Bendis' own New X-Men book. They seem to be in no rush to move that plot anywhere fast, why not establish that bringing them into the present busted things up?

There just wasn't any NEED for the stuff that happened in this book, let alone ten issues worth. If you want to put real Galactus in the Ultimate universe, do it, there are better ways. If you want to get people excited about Angela, maybe introduce her instead of showing an image that's been on comic sites for months. Then maybe people like me that don't know her and don't care, might be intrigued instead of frustrated.

#24 Posted by DH69 (4258 posts) - - Show Bio

Was happy to see that Sue was one of the main characters for the bulk of the event, it's just a pity that the event was a steaming pile...

#25 Posted by SoA (4688 posts) - - Show Bio

i felt the fight/series ended kinda quickly but i like how it ended especially the repercussions at the end. it was not a bad arc/crossover event . there have been worse.

#26 Posted by Cavemold (1676 posts) - - Show Bio

Should have been called "Age of Wolverine featuring Hank Pym with a hint of apocalyptic destruction"

MARVEL I WANTED ULTRON IN AN ULTRON EVENT!

THIS.

#27 Posted by ravisher (670 posts) - - Show Bio

only thing good to come out of it is galactus coming to the ultimate universe

#28 Edited by Ett (27 posts) - - Show Bio

This event has me started think about stop going to comic book sites or reading marvel bigger titles. It is not fun anymore when the big twist or surprise is spoiled by Marvel PR weeks in advance. I dont blame comicvine because you guys work hard to keep things spoiler free. But when marvel does a press release weeks before it is hard to not get spoiled. And when the lead up and story is written worst then its wiki synopsis. Hard to justify spending 40 bucks on a event at is basically a prologue to the real story.

#29 Posted by Captain_Superior_Blue (39 posts) - - Show Bio

@trevel8182: no, I think Fear Itself earned that crown lol.

#30 Posted by akbogert (3194 posts) - - Show Bio

So, perhaps I've misunderstood, but the sense I've gotten from all this is that Galactus, eater of worlds, is now in the Ultimate Universe, and that there is a new event following this called "Hunger" which looks to be Galactus destroying the Ultimate Universe.

So is Marvel using this to segue into a destruction/relaunch of the Ultimate universe? Or am I getting that wrong?

#31 Posted by ScumDestroy (46 posts) - - Show Bio

I was pretty stoked on this series until about issue 7..8.. and on and it become "ok". I was a little underwhelmed with the ending but I'm really glad that this event didn't take 10 months and have 3-issue tie-ins for every book.

Def. not the best Bendis work but I tend to like most of the things he does. Really happy about Angela but it would have been a thousand times better if there was no mention of it until today. Glad to see more Pym permeating through the 616 in the near future and looking forward to Hickman's event. I don't know why people get so mad about events.. sure, they are hyped, but they are usually pretty good mini-series with all-star talent on them and with this one, there were extraneous tie-ins, so they didn't really interrupt the books.

#32 Posted by RybackStun (17 posts) - - Show Bio

I wonder if everyone knows that they rewrote the entire last issue after fan reaction from the rest of the series? Joey Q Penciled a bunch of this issue apparently, and to get it out on time they used a bunch of artists.

This issue seems so lackluster and so quickly put together because it was on both points.

From this point on, Only Mark Waid and Jonathon Hickman should be allowed to write event books, because at least they KNOW what makes a good event book and can handle character duty on multiple levels. No more Bendis, no more Fraction, no more Millar, just those two. And if they can't get a good idea for the event, then just stop for a little while and let event books rest for a bit.

#33 Posted by darkrider (438 posts) - - Show Bio

Finally age of crap is over

#34 Posted by 90scomicfan (4 posts) - - Show Bio

Anyone been to cbr's website yet? Their review is..........well just see for yourselves.

I haven't even picked this up yet and STILL checked out the spoilers. Shows how much I care about this "event". Too long and too mediocre. Could have been told in 4 or 5 issues. I'm now very wary of picking up Infinity even though Hickmans writing it. Might start getting some DC titles again! :)

#35 Edited by ThorBoy (152 posts) - - Show Bio

It was interesting to see how unstoppable ultron had become even though he was never in bulk of the series. Nothing wrong with wolverine as the main character. He's top 3 most popular characters in marvel

#36 Posted by kriminal (642 posts) - - Show Bio

@the_stegman: i thought it sucked too but im the opposite. i buy every marvel event because im a fan of marvel and i like collecting entire series

#37 Posted by stevencarver_ (90 posts) - - Show Bio

Here's the thing, I really really like Bendis. His All-New X-Men is one of my favorites. But this event... Well, it sucked. Besides the whole thing of Ultron not mattering in this event, the ending was so lame. So what, we have Galactus in Ultimate and Angela in 616? Who is Angela anyway and why does she matter? I'm glad that this is over because I didn't really like it or make a strong emotional connection to anything that was happening.

#38 Posted by CTG (228 posts) - - Show Bio

While the overall event was underwhelming, it's climax would've felt a lot less empty if Angela showing up hadn't got spoiled.

Sure the other thing was friggin' dope and holds a lot of promise and I'm looking forward to it - but with the way the issue is written Angela was that supremely shocking thing that was supposed to make this entire series worth it.

So in part, I blame those who choose to leak information (which forced Marvel to jump ahead of it) - ruined what would've been a shocker.

#40 Posted by CTG (228 posts) - - Show Bio

@akbogert:

No, I don't believe "Hunger" is going to be like Ultimatum which basically served to de-clutter the Ultimate Universe. I believe it's just going to be a cool event - obviously w/ some repercussions but w/ how popular Ultimate Spider-Man & X-Men have become, I find it hard to believe Marvel would introduce an event that basically ends those books.

#41 Posted by Ironhawk22 (320 posts) - - Show Bio

@akbogert said:

So, perhaps I've misunderstood, but the sense I've gotten from all this is that Galactus, eater of worlds, is now in the Ultimate Universe, and that there is a new event following this called "Hunger" which looks to be Galactus destroying the Ultimate Universe.

So is Marvel using this to segue into a destruction/relaunch of the Ultimate universe? Or am I getting that wrong?

I believe I posted about this months ago after reading a post on bleeding cool. If they do go through with destroying it...well I won't read it. Just like I haven't read a single issue of Avengers Arena or Age of Ultron. Marvel's not going shit on paper and expect me to pay for it. I love Marvel(most of the times) but their constant events are terrible with a few exceptions(Siege, Dark Reign). Also with the recent SPOILERS death of Nico END SPOILERS, it seems like they're just really trying to troll fans. I encourage those who hate dumb events to just not buy them, or they're just going to roll out more.

#42 Posted by pspin (891 posts) - - Show Bio

Well apparently I was the only person who liked this series. I like this review but I think the issue was a 4 out of 5 for sure, and the series as a whole was too.

There was a lot of action and mystery involved and it really was cool seeing the characters in such a bleak setting that is more than a what-if. The plot direction changes were a nice way to change up the way the story was told.

#43 Posted by CTG (228 posts) - - Show Bio
#44 Edited by sasquatch888 (295 posts) - - Show Bio

90 bucks an hour! Seriously I don't know why more people haven't tried this, I work two shifts, 3 hours in the day and 2 in the evening…And whats awesome is that I am working from home so I get more time with my kids. There are also bonuses so my monthly income is from $4000-$8000 depending on how much effort i put in it... Try it today>............ www.Jam10.ℂom

stop spamming the site with this bulls*it

#45 Posted by sasquatch888 (295 posts) - - Show Bio

Bendis should do better than this...Age of Ultron was a big mess , can't say I enjoyed the event at all , I'm seriously underwhelmed,This is the worst Marvel event nothing is even close to how bad this was, Too long and too mediocre,The time travel stuff was unbelievably confusing and convoluted , this was an overhyped attempt to bring angela into the Marvel universe....Overall, very, very disappointing. i heard they rewrote the entire last issue after fan reaction from the rest of the series. Finally age of crap is over ....everyone who made those comments are 100 percent correct

#46 Posted by consafo80 (111 posts) - - Show Bio

not read it yet but by the sounds of things I'm going to wish I never bothered with AOU at all. I just hope that Hickmans Infinity is better.

#47 Posted by Super_SoldierXII (6167 posts) - - Show Bio

Huge fan of Wolverine ... NOT a fan of Wolverine and Bendis in the same sentence. And so I avoided this series like the plague despite it being Wolverine focused. Also, the none too stellar reviews served only to reinforce my innate aversion.

Bendis writes some fun books. But he's definitely swing and a miss. Especially with regards Logan.

There have been very few Wolverine centric books that have been good to great since Old Man Logan IMHO. And that's, well, sad really. Remender's X-Force touched on some of the good ole Logan ethos, but aside from this, the fun reads with any depth have been too few and far between.

Sorry to hear this event sucked to royally. The premise had promise.

#48 Posted by JamDamage (1109 posts) - - Show Bio

@trevel8182:

we waited YEAERS for this crap. I'm a HUGE Bendis fan and I really don't know what the hell was supposed to come of this. Is Hank Pym becoming Ultron himself. I don't know. I'm pissed tho. All the hype for this garbage. This is bad as Fear Itself was.

#50 Edited by DJ1107 (243 posts) - - Show Bio

The event was mediocre at best I've read a lot worst. So bring on Infinity so we can do "We blindly hate Marvel events" bulls*** again

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.