Follow

Age of Ultron

Story arc »

Marvel's first 2013 crossover event, the Earth is plunged into chaos when Ultron returns and conquers it.

Off My Mind: How AGE OF ULTRON Changes the Marvel Universe

• 149 results
    Mrfuzzynutz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

Bendis does it again, his stink is on another event that falls short, his name is a on a storyline that was supposed to set up a major turning point but was saddled with delays, remember how 'Secret Wars' was supposed to lead into 'Secret Invasion'? Age of Ultron was meant to lead into the Marvel Now launch, so this event failed in many levels to me

KINCART

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 35

The final big question I have is once characters start to realize things have suddenly started changing, will Wolverine get the blame for being the one to break time? Has anyone blamed Barry Allen for breaking time over at DC?

Avatar image for darklydreamingdeadpool
    DarklyDreamingDeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

i'm glad my girlfriend brought this, so i could read it without buying. after avengers vs. x-men, i was very dissapointed in marvel....

frogdog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By frogdog

This comic sucks

Neon_Jackal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So much complaining and comparing but no actual reasons why.

I liked AoU and I like a lot that was setup, especially the possibility that time-travel will no longer be a band-aid fix for any terrible plot.

Raiden1106

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#56  Edited By Raiden1106

I always found the set up a bit weak, Wolverine travels back in time to kill Hank before he creates Ultron. Like time travel's ever solved anything before. That aside I can at least admit that this is a good series

SHAZAM2017

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

AoU was my first marvel event and I was completely disappointed. I was disappointed so much that i don't know if I'm picking up a marvel event for awhile

_Black

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Events should be more than just setting up the next event...

Agent73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

It got me to stop reading Marvel. Does that count as a change?

Sammo21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xwraith:most of those people are the ones who defend DC's new 52...

American_Flag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

IMO- All of Marvel's Mega Events have been horrible since House of M.

Mara

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xwraith said:

@modunhanul said:
    @redx9 said:

Seriously, Age of Ultron was a complete fail of a marvel event.

At least it sold well...

People are stupid.

It wasn't that bad.

Sammo21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@knightrise: Not really. They have changed nothing of the universe. They've not boned a character permanently like DC did with Tim Drake. They've not erased character's from existence. They've not permanently changed a character like DC did with so many. This is nothing like New 52 which makes me wonder if you actually read New 52 or this series...

fodigg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

We have too many time travel/reality crossing storylines right now in Marvel:

• All New X-Men: teams from both past and future
    • Age of Ultron: wolverine breaks the time stream
    • Uncanny Avengers: the children of Apocalypse are trying to kill the "seven futures"
    • New Avengers: other realities are crashing into ours possibly destroying it

I know this stuff is Marvel's bread and butter but it's just a lot all at once. It's like, really? Wolverine ruined everything? Then why do we care about what's going on in New Avengers? Does the original five X-men matter anymore?

csguterres

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@degalon said:

the Age of Ultron storyline sounded cute in a "AoA/2099/Deadpool kills marvel universe/marvel zombies" alternate story kinda thing. But trying to make it actually matter? No. We already have stupid crap like Avengers Arena for killing off beloved characters.

No-one actually died in Age Of Ultron though. Except Ultron.

And, He will probably return as soon as another writers needs it. How many times Ultron was destroyed "for good" in the past?

Moonman78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

How about a person from the future going back in time to kill some of these awful writers, don't they realize all this universal confusion is the single thing that is making DC so crazy. Universes are not to be taken lightly or made flimsy, anyway at least there not retconning stuff, and most of that stuff doesn't see action in 616

Avatar image for wavemotioncannon
    WaveMotionCannon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Lord_Sidious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I give up.

On the bright side I'll be saving more money with less comics.

Avatar image for smart_dork_dude
    Smart_Dork_Dude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

@idontlikebirds said:

@smart_dork_dude: Their Ultimate Universe would be more comparable to DC's Earth 2. New take on classic characters while retaining the previous ones and having them exist in another world. Earth 2, just like The Ultimate Universe, has killed off major characters and kept them dead.

No, no, no, no. The entirety of the New 52 is like Ultimate Marvel. The difference? There's no regular DC universe to fall back on.

Really the New 52 feels like Ultimate DC, but without a REAL DC universe to fall back on. It reminds me of that issue of She-Hulk where she was taken by the Living Tribunal to decide whether the Ultimate Universe should completely replace the classic Marvel universe. She defended her home universe, and as it was more fun, it was spared. That's the keyword right there. Fun. In an Ultimate universe, there's less room for the silly or really out there stuff. Thor putting Asgard in Oklahoma, floating 10 feet off the ground? Fun! Batshit insane to say out loud, but fun! Anthropomorphic duck and raccoon existing in the same universe and interacting with everyone? Fun! Having a world devouring space giant in a purple suit with a giant helmet? Fun!

With DC going "Ultimate" I feel the same way I do about Ultimate Marvel. I like many of the ideas and concepts, but I don't like the universe as a WHOLE. The only reason I had anything to do with the Ultimate universe was because of Ultimate Spider-Man. I loved the hell out of Ultimate Spider-Man and I am not ashamed to admit I did enjoy the first Ultimates volume. Didn't LOVE it, but I enjoyed it. I loved how mutants were feared and hated because the mutant gene is actually a virus that can spread and that mutants in this universe are just that, accidents and mistakes which is what a mutant by definition is.

I could go on and on, but my point is that while I enjoyed these ideas and concepts, especially how Ultimate Spider-Man went, I would NOT want it to replace the mainstream Marvel universe. And thankfully it didn't.

Avatar image for wavemotioncannon
    WaveMotionCannon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@knightrise maybe AoU can explain Wally West not existing, having three Robins in five years and the other stupidity in the New 52? I blame Wolverine.

owie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#71 owie  Moderator

@e1000 said:

@nappystr8: I really hope you're wrong about Infinity...

BTW, 2 questions for those who read AoU, what the hell happened to the heroes who went to the future ? and

how the hell did Wolverine kill the other version of him ??

These are two of the many questions that arose in my mind after reading those last couple awful issues. I'm assuming the first one will be answered in one of the many spin-offs of Age of Ultron that are coming up. The second one was just bad writing. He could have drowned him, but there's nothing he could have done to kill him with his claws.

sora_thekey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

I dropped Age of Ultron after the first issue... So, now I'm lost. What happened? I haven't really seen any repercussions in other Marvel books.

Shinjiro15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By Shinjiro15

the one thing about Angela I'm curious about is "when she arrived". Marvel keeps saying that her new history is intertwined with Marvel, as if she has always been in the MU. she might have arrived ages ago, but then just found the core marvel characters.

I think in an itnerview I read mentioning Galactus in the UU this was hinted at as well - Galactus literally just got there, the quote saying he hasnt been in the UU for 3-4 years. But with Angela it's she;s always been there.

tamabone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 62

I think that the real reason that Age of Ultron was delayed sooooooooo long is that originally Marvelman was to be the character who showed up at the end instead of Angela. But due to ongoing legal problems with just who has the rights to Marvelman the story was first delayed and then ultimately had Marvelman written out and Angela written in. It makes perfect sense if you look at the timeline of events in the announcement of Age of Ultron and Marvel's "purchase" of Marvelman.

lmothander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Are we sure Galactus is in the ultimate universe or did miles come to the 616? There was talk of a new crossover where Miles comes to 616.

Barkley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@knightrise:

they need to reboot marvel is a hot mess......

Avatar image for redhoodflashlantern
    RedhoodFlashLantern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I dropped AOU after issue 6 i so wanted it to be good but it just bored me to death. i read the last issue and glad i stopped when i did. Only interesting thing is miles and Galactus scene.

SandMan_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zeeguy91 said:

@sandman_ said:

Did Marvel reboot its Universe?

....maybe....?

Oh boy. Well...about time.

American_Flag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By American_Flag
    E1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By E1000

@shazam2017: Well, clearly your luck was out on this one. There's a lot of really cool marvel events. House of M, Civil war, Secret Invasion, those were amazing events, but you kinda need a lot of background to enjoy them. If I were you I'd pick up Bendis's first run on New avengers (the ones just after Avengers got disassembled) on Amazon, they should be cheap and then go with those three events, which, are simply awesome ! It's a shame that this event sucked because there are amazing Marvel titles right now, like Avengers for example.

Foxdye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

After that whole Avengers v. X-men fiasco I'm done with Marvel. They're dick riding the Avengers hardcore over a successful movie franchise and the whole universe has to suffer for it.

Avatar image for smart_dork_dude
    Smart_Dork_Dude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@american_flag: I'm not talking about Marvel Now. I'm talking about the idiotic idea that this is going to be Marvel rebooting

AskaniSon295

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm interested in seeing Angela's involvement in the Marvel U. The fractured space-time idea seems like an interesting way to have characters that wouldn't normally interact: Interacting beyond than just let's team-up and fight our villains who also happened to team-up. Like most marvel events the fall-out is usually better than the explosion. Event.Era.Event.Era.Event. Repeat as necessary.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 the_stegman  Moderator

I highly doubt this is a reboot, they may use it to retcon some things, maybe set up for the NEXT event, but that's probably about it.

frogjitsu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#86  Edited By frogjitsu

Ha ha, it would be hilarious if they charged Wolverine with high treason against the entire multiverse for breaking time. If this trial is held in some cosmic court, and he is found guilty, this could be how Marvel kills off Wolverine!

Neon_Jackal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@owie said:

@e1000 said:

@nappystr8: I really hope you're wrong about Infinity...

BTW, 2 questions for those who read AoU, what the hell happened to the heroes who went to the future ? and

how the hell did Wolverine kill the other version of him ??

These are two of the many questions that arose in my mind after reading those last couple awful issues. I'm assuming the first one will be answered in one of the many spin-offs of Age of Ultron that are coming up. The second one was just bad writing. He could have drowned him, but there's nothing he could have done to kill him with his claws.

Well as far as I could tell, the guys who travelled first went to a future that stopped existing when Wolverine killed Hank so when they travelled back those versions no longer existed, or something, time travel is weird.

As for Wolverine killing his double, Wolverine isn't immortal, and I'm sure out of anyone he'd know how best to kill himself, also probably why it happened off-panel.

frogjitsu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By frogjitsu
    @wavemotioncannon said:

@knightrise maybe AoU can explain Wally West not existing, having three Robins in five years and the other stupidity in the New 52? I blame Wolverine.

No, blame Barry Allen.

And, for all you Event haters, just skip them! The fallout is usually the interesting part anyways, and Marvel usually has decent books that spin off from these events. If you must, just read a summary of the event online.

Avatar image for secondfallen616
    secondfallen616

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

AoU was definitely slow going but I came away from it liking the fact that Marvel continues to not use time travel as a crutch and that theres actual consequences to monkeying around with the time stream. Sure my comic budget took 10 hits but oh well lol, price gotta pay for getting the new foundation in my greasy little hands. Putting AoU right next to Flashpoint on my shelf and now we'll see which becomes irrelevant first LOL! Colonel America was kinda cool, the Defenders were my fave part.

Adriell2124

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The end of AoU occurred at Avengers 12.1. So it couldn't be a reboot because then we'd only restart at that point in time. The changes are more subtle than the New 52. In fact, All-New X-Men may only be taking place because of the fractured state of the timeline. While the event was forgettable, the fact that the ramifications affect not just the future of Marvel but the past and present as well is interesting.

Avatar image for redheadedatrocitus
    RedheadedAtrocitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

It was nice to see that there will be changes and I look forward to them, but AU as an event is the epitome of everything that is wrong with comics right now due to that ending we had. My feelings on AU are summed up nicely by this meme I found...

No Caption Provided

pingclang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 121

Instead of a negative comment or a fit of nerd rage, I just want to know what the hell AoU did...

KnightRise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93  Edited By KnightRise

@sammo21 said:

@knightrise: Not really. They have changed nothing of the universe. They've not boned a character permanently like DC did with Tim Drake. They've not erased character's from existence. They've not permanently changed a character like DC did with so many. This is nothing like New 52 which makes me wonder if you actually read New 52 or this series...

I bet you're great at parties.

Grey56

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 5

Sigh. Oh to be involved in a board room discussion when the green light is given to these projects. Not even to participate - just to see the pallid and blank expressions of the creators in charge of these great creative properties.

GeoKnowsBest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is why I can't get into Marvel no matter how hard I try. The even described above sounds convoluted as hell.

Grey56

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 5

And, for all you Event haters, just skip them! The fallout is usually the interesting part anyways, and Marvel usually has decent books that spin off from these events. If you must, just read a summary of the event online.

While I appreciate your pragmatic approach sir - it's unfortunately just not that simple. The marketing strategy du jour for the last 12 years has been to ply the readers with tie-ins taking place in the regular ongoing titles which make them nearly dependent on the semi/quarterly event that is emblazoned on the cover. That makes for uninteresting or confusing books for half of a year or more.

When you don't have any independent stories from the 'events' on your ongoing titles you are more or less trying to monetarily compel your audience to buy these other books in order to keep up. It's a proven money-maker for numerous reasons however it also denies the discerning consumer what they came for; stories about the characters with the names on those respective books.

I'm not trying to kick mud in your face on this matter - however I've spent many a monologue about the efficacy of this business strategy and I feel like it's an important note to all folks still reading Marvel books. I buy a select few myself - but have boycotted most at given intervals for 20 years for these reasons and increasingly so over the last 12 (since Annihilation ended truly). Anyhow, thank you sir.

Novemberx2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Announcing Marvel's New 52!

That was the original plan, Bryan Hitch told me that at the last minute marvel pulled Age of Ultron and replaced it with AvX Spacefiller event. Its pretty clear MarvelNOW! was supposed to happen at the end of ago of ultron, but marvel didn't want to be seen to be copying DC. I suspect we didn't even get the original ending aswell, as it was probably changed to shoehorn in Angela and the end of the ultimate universe.

Given several things in MarvelNow are heavily linked to the idea of universe collapsing(Avengers/NewAvengers) and time travel (All New X-Men) its pretty clear these were supposed to be the original fall out

The biggest question is where does Age Of Ultron actually end in? Pre Fearitself Avengers 12.1 or MarvelNow!

frogjitsu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@grey56: I here ya, I've been a sucker for tie-ins as well. New Mutants was a victim of this, and I eventually just stopped reading it because I didn't care for the tie-ins. Honestly I'm just coming back from a comic book hiatus, because I was overwhelmed with all the books I was reading.

But since Marvel has been using this strategy for years, and doesn't seem to be letting up anytime soon, it's clear whining about it doesn't help.

And this time around, Marvel actually didn't really interfere with any of the titles. The tie ins had special AU numbering, akin to their .1 initiative, and didn't really interfere with the on-ging storyline in those books. And even the aftermath doesn't seem to effect much. Just the specific books and storylines that spin-off from it.

queenfrost_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 7

This event was a complete waste of time

Gotham331

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Was this a lot like Age of Apocalypse? Sounds like it

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.