broo1232's Age of Ultron #2 - Book Two review

• broo1232 wrote this review on .
  • broo1232 has written a total of 182 reviews. The last one was for Rapture

Captain America gets knocked down but he gets back up again!

As I’ve said I was super excited for this event but the first issue was something of a let-down but I decided to carry on with the series, as well I have the series at my LCS and when an event starts I want to complete it as it might be worth something.

Plot

Black Widow is walking through San Francisco but a man tries to rob her but Moon Knight shoots him. Black Widow then heads back to her headquarters but has to stop because some Ultron drones are attacking some civilians.

Review

Ok basically this was bad not 1 star bad as the art is fantastic and the highlight of this issue and likely the first five (as he is only on for 5 issues). Basically the main reason this is bad is the pacing it’s pretty off and basically the story doesn’t progress in this issue until the last page. This really is just laying out all the characters for this story but come on Bendis! Hurry up.

Basically this issue we discover what happened to Black Widow and Moon Knight and well the plot isn’t even interesting all it is Black Widow goes to find some food she gets attacked and someone tries to mug her and then Moon Knight shoots the mugger. I can see why Bendis would do this as he is trying to show the effect on all of the heroes and what normal civilians do now and in that way it works as it establishes that pretty well as you see what the civilians are driven to and it helped set the tone for this book with Black Widow’s injury which showed the impact of Ultron’s attack. But the plot is weak I mean I understand if Bendis is setting all the characters up for the main event but the plot is weak I mean Black Widow gets some food then gets mugged Moon knight shoots him and that’s it? It’s a bit weak but well my main problem is that it takes up most of this issue and it’s not interesting but well it lays some of the characters out and I’m interested to see how they are involved with the overall story.

There is a short bit after with Black Widow where she finds some Ultron drones attempting to apprehend some civilians but when they try to run away they disintegrate them while this may not seem like much I felt it was important to the issue as it showed how Ultron treated people and once again showed us the whole Submit or Perish angle of this book which has been shown on a lot of the promo art for this book. While it may not seem like much it continued the dark tone of this series and fleshed out a bit more the Submit or perish theme of the series.

Also I think it was a nice touch that Moon Knight and Black Widow are hiding in a Nick Fury bunker and see all of the pictures of characters in the Marvel Universe and well I thought it was a good idea by Bendis to choose to pick this place for them to hide out as with the pictures it’ll be interesting to see what happens when they meet if ever Nick Fury.

We then return to New York and we find out what happened to Spider-man this is a set of two pages that outline what happened to him when Ultron attacked but it’s silent while Bryan Hitch’s art tells the story I thought some dialogue was needed in these flashback sequences but still I like how Bendis isn’t giving it all away just yet but dropping hints especially the involvement of Nick Fury and also why Ultron would want Spider-man alive instead of just killing him it posed some interesting questions and I want to see how it goes.

The ending I liked after getting slightly annoyed with last issues depressing ending and going against one of the characters characteristics I liked how it resolved it and it wasn’t just permanent and I want to see how it is resolved next issue.

Bryan Hitch’s art is the best part of this series he puts an immense amount of effort into the backgrounds so that everything looks apocalyptic and destroyed and I’m happy Bendis allowed Hitch to use two page spreads as it’s what he’s best at and it lets him play with the layouts a bit. I’ll miss Hitch when he’s off this series as he really fits it he puts a lot of detail into everything the backgrounds are the best part but I like how he drew the Ultron’s as he added shadow to make them look very menacing.

Verdict

This wasn’t as good as the first mainly because of the pacing which took a lot away and also the slightly boring Black Widow/ Moon Knight plot but the questions put up in this issue with Nick Fury and what Ultron is trying to do is interesting as it doesn’t seem like he’s trying to kill them but still this issue wasn’t great and I’m disappointed but by the look of it next issue is going to be much better and get this series back on to a better pacing.

2.5 stars

Posted by TheAcidSkull

You are to generous, giving it 2.5 stars and all XD !

great review.

Posted by broo1232

@TheAcidSkull: Thanks :) Literally I hate giving comics bad ratings and the reason this is higher is because of the art which accounts for 2 stars and then some of the questions put up account for the .5. I really hate giving comics less than 4 especially ones I've been looking forward to like this.

Posted by TheAcidSkull

@broo1232 said:

well at least you were objective :)

Posted by broo1232

@TheAcidSkull said:

@broo1232 said:

well at least you were objective :)

Yeah I try to make it fair and I think the art was the highlight of the issue and probably the series.