theacidskull's Age of Ultron #1 - Book One review

Why Marvel?

SPOILERS!

i don't know where to start with this, i honestly don't. I've been really enjoying some of the other titles from marvel now, but then this came along, i just.....dear god.

there is absolutely nothing good about this title, but before i get to the bad, i want to say the ONLY thing that is good here, which isn't much. Bryan Hitch's art is , as always, great. I really like the way he draws in these types of scenarios. His Art is gritty, which fits the setting, he isn't my favorite, but he is perfect for this type for series.

Now for the Plot....ugh. Look, i really don't like grading and bashing on comics, i don't feel good about when i tell people something is bad when they like it, and i really don't like to bash on writers who probably at least tried to do good, but this was really really REALLY bad. I have a Legit Question for Marvel, Why is Hawkeye the center of all heroes? why? is it because of the movie? i have no clue. Fact is, the title is basically about him, yet again. nothing against the character, honestly, i think hawkeye is great, but this should NOT be about him, or any character for that matter, This is an event, meaning that everyone should be involved working as a team, sticking together to defeat the common foe, thats what being avenger is all about. But i get the feeling that Bendis is playing favorites again, most of the characters there are people he likes, expect he just threw in a couple of more just ti make it seem that there are others who are also important.

I get what bendis is trying to do, he is trying to make us see what even the greatest of all heroes could crumble down when faced against such a threat, but thats the problem, we don't need to further know what kind of a monster Ultron is, that was established a long time ago. But if you do decide to go by this this, you do not, and i repeat, YOU DO NOT! MAKE CAPTAIN AMERICA BREAK! while keeping Luke cage, she Hulk, Iron man, Hawkeye, perfectly fine!

Sure if we look at it from a long perspective it looks as if Cap, the self sacrificing patriot fell, meaning that there is no hope left. but for that to work , the others have to be in despair as well, but they all seem fine. This Goes against captain Americas true personality, he is the symbol of hope, of the american dream, the guy who fights for the little guys, and he always stands his ground. so how is it , that everyone is fine, but good O'l cap is lying and crying in the corner ......*sigh*. apparently bendis forgot, or just simply ignored that, because you know, he though it was a good idea.*sigh*

If i could describe the whole thing in a few words, i'd say that this issue is basically " Hawkeye kills people, and the avengers/heroes are hiding in a Bunker underground'....yeah...terrible.

And Since when can regular ropes hold spider-man, who is at least a 10-25 tonner? where did this come from? and how does spider-man get captured by perverted junkies?

were these not regular ropes? were theses men amped by Ultron? did they have gear created By Ultron? well we don't know, because Bendis doesn't say one word about this......well.......i guess he ......just ........FORGOT!....Oopsy Daisy!!!!!

And since when is spider-man back to his normal self? does this take place many years ahead of current marvel? i though ock was possessing peters body? no? M'kay.

This was Terrible, and it really makes me sad. If you want a decent Marvel now title read Thor( Before Jason Aaron decides to get Lazy ), Indestructible Hulk, Deadpool , Venom or Red she hulk.

Recommendation: NO! NO GOD NO! .....NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.......

Posted by broo1232

I had such high hopes for this but now after your review :( I'll still get it though as I had it on reserve and don't want to upset my LCS

@broo1232 said:

well it is best to see the train wreck for yourself :)

Posted by tomasmaclgh

- I was actually a little bit happy when I saw Captain America having a break down.

He has been depicted as the embodiment of good values for so long that I started to feel bored with the character. Seeing him in that corner made him look more human to me. Everybody has doubts and flaws, I think it's time we start to see some in Steve.

- I agree with you regarding the ropes.

@tomasmaclgh said:

- I agree with you regarding the ropes.

There is No problem In steve having a break down, it the fact that HE was the only one who had it makes me angry, its serious CIS

BTW thanks for commenting :)

Posted by kristianmaru

everything about this issue is full of WHAT?WHY?HOW? from the readers. hope the next issue is better. i'll keep reading this arc though.

@kristianmaru said:

i hope so too, but i won't read the second issue :(

Posted by broo1232

I don't thin Iron Man is totally ok by the look of it he can't use his armour any more or at least his new one and She-Hulk is the worst off of all she had to do an army cut on her hair!

Edited by TheAcidSkull

@broo1232 said:

This issue was just a huge sh*thouse :(

Posted by XxHeavyRainxX

You don't think Captain could be affected emotionally in a way the other heroes weren't? I mean after all, the super soldier serum didn't affect emotions, right? Even the strongest men crumble given the right catalyst. And the catalyst can be different for each man. Cap' is a physical brute and highly skilled; but when has he ever been depicted as insusceptible to emotionally breaking? If there's anybody in this group who could have justifiable reasons to be broken it's Cap'. He's the image of American strength; and now with America broken and ruled by Ultron, Cap' too is broken.

Does it mean he'll not come back? Of course he'll come back! But as anybody who's been to the pits of their life, there's a great potential to come out stronger than you originally were.

Did you notice Cap's shield broken on the floor? If you take it symbolically, Cap's shield is analogous to his strength or, in other words, his value. With the people he was sworn to protect broken and enslaved around him, how COULDN'T that get to him!?

Remember how president FDR had to use a wheelchair and stand on crutches when he gave speeches? What if that secret of what many would perceive weakness came out during WWII? Think about the scenario of people finding out and the American image of an "Awakening giant" being torn by the image of a crippled leader. There's great potential for this story in the Captain breaking like this.

I will agree that Spider-Man being seemingly being taken so easily is suspect, but you brought up some great possibilities as to how that could happen. Was this really worth one star?

@XxHeavyRainxX said:

i understand and you make a fair point. But here is the problem, If cap is broken, so should iron man, she hulk, luke cage and hawkeye as well. Caps emotions might not be broken, but it's against his personality to break, he has faced ultorn before, he has done so much, and everyone looks up to him, and now you want to tell me that he is broken? i don't buy it.

Cap is a symbol of hope, of the american dream, he represents that force which helps the others get up to fight back , he is a patriot, he is a super hero, a soldier. so he is the last person to be broken, he should not have been sobbing in the corner. he is better than that.

besides, cap wasn't the only problem, there were many others as well which i pointed out, if you enjoyed the story, good for you, really, that is very nice, but for me , personally, i hated it, it was outright terrible, i lnly gave it 1 star because of the art.

it's just the way i saw things :), i won't pick up anymore, but hopefully it's get better for other readers and yourself.

thanks for commenting ^__^

Posted by DJ1107

I thought it was ok

Posted by Cyclops4President

amen! i HAAAAAATTTTTTTEEEEEEEDDDDD this book and series.