Age of Apocalyse: Is it worth it?

• 69 results
#1 Edited by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio

Hello, 

I have heard numerous good things about the alternate world arc, the Age of Apocalypse, and am interested in reading it. However, the trade paperbacks are rather expensive, and as there are four, I will have to pour a lot of money into them.  (4 Trades=$160, where I live).

I was just wondering if, in your mind, they are worth it? Is the arc worth the large some of money it will cost to read? Or am I not missing out on much by skipping it?  

Thank you in advance :)

#2 Posted by John Valentine (16307 posts) - - Show Bio

Buy the trades. 

#3 Posted by xerox_kitty (15762 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes, it's a very good read.  No, it's not worth $160. 

You can pick up most of the 4-issue titles for a couple of bucks each as back issues.  So you're looking at Astonishing X-Men, Amazing X-Men, Factor X, Gambit & The X-Ternals, Generation Next, Weapon X, X-Calibre, X-Man.  They're all 4 issues each.  On top of that there's Alpha and Omega (which book-ended the original story arc), 2 issues of X-Chronicles & 2 issues of X-Universe.

A couple of bucks for 4 issues... or $40 for the trade?  8 titles that are 4 issues long each.  Plus a couple of 2-issue series & 2 one-shots.  It'll be a LOT cheaper to pick them up as back issues on eBay.  

#4 Posted by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio
@xerox-kitty said:
" Yes, it's a very good read.  No, it's not worth $160. 

You can pick up most of the 4-issue titles for a couple of bucks each as back issues.  So you're looking at Astonishing X-Men, Amazing X-Men, Factor X, Gambit & The X-Ternals, Generation Next, Weapon X, X-Calibre, X-Man.  They're all 4 issues each.  On top of that there's Alpha and Omega (which book-ended the original story arc), 2 issues of X-Chronicles & 2 issues of X-Universe. A couple of bucks for 4 issues... or $40 for the trade?  8 titles that are 4 issues long each.  Plus a couple of 2-issue series & 2 one-shots.  It'll be a LOT cheaper to pick them up as back issues on eBay.   "
Great, thank you for the advice :)
#5 Posted by longbowhunter (6985 posts) - - Show Bio

Age Of Apocalypse is one of my very favorite X-Men storylines. It is worth your money, just not so much of it. I read the comics when they first came out and loved them. A few years ago a friend of mine bought the trades and I borrowed them. The story didnt loss anything. It  was just as good 10 years later.
#6 Posted by sonic5328 (92 posts) - - Show Bio

I am in the same boat as you. I want to read it but the 4 trades are expensive. To cut down on the cost, from what I have heard you can skip the first trade if you are buying "the complete age of apocalypse epic" books. The first book is like a miscellaneous book for one shots and stuff.

#7 Posted by d0npierre (399 posts) - - Show Bio

Superb reading. Can't go wrong with 'em. I've read the arc about 15 times when I was young. Really great stuff.

#8 Posted by Red_Lightning_Alpha (67 posts) - - Show Bio

totally worth it! you can get the trades of amazon for quite cheap, at least u can on the uk amazon 

#9 Posted by MoonstoneEvil (138 posts) - - Show Bio
@Shadow Fox said:
" totally worth it! you can get the trades of amazon for quite cheap, at least u can on the uk amazon  "
Yeah recently when I looked you can get all four trades for about £40.
#10 Posted by Edamame (28062 posts) - - Show Bio

I personally think that Age of Apocalypse Volumes 2 and 3 are better than the other volumes.

#11 Posted by Mercy_ (92674 posts) - - Show Bio
#12 Posted by PowerHerc (82612 posts) - - Show Bio

$160 is to damn high, but the story is pretty damn cool. 
#13 Posted by CATPANEXE (9368 posts) - - Show Bio
@The Dark Huntress said:
" I'm planning on buying the Complete Age of Apocalypse trades. Good move or bad? "
given your opinion in the Age Of X thread, good. But i love AOA and anything related to it so i might be bias. imo.
#14 Posted by Mercy_ (92674 posts) - - Show Bio
@CATPANEXE said:
" @The Dark Huntress said:
" I'm planning on buying the Complete Age of Apocalypse trades. Good move or bad? "
given your opinion in the Age Of X thread, good. But i love AOA and anything related to it so i might be bias. imo. "
Woohoo. xD
#15 Posted by Korg (11931 posts) - - Show Bio

For the record, you can get all of them on Amazon for about $20 a piece. Not sure where people got $160, as it would only be $120 going by cover price.

#16 Posted by Mercy_ (92674 posts) - - Show Bio
@Korg said:
" For the record, you can get all of them on Amazon for about $20 a piece. Not sure where people got $160, as it would only be $120 going by cover price. "
I'm buying them used. With the four dollar shipping cost, they're averaging about about 17 dollars a piece. 
#17 Posted by Edamame (28062 posts) - - Show Bio

Did anyone get those other Age of Apocalypse offshoots, such as X-Man, Factor X, Amazing X-Men, Weapon X, Astonishing X-Men or X-Calibre? They all belong to the Gold Deluxe Edition, and they are all trade paperbacks.

#18 Posted by danhimself (22443 posts) - - Show Bio
@Edamame said:
" Did anyone get those other Age of Apocalypse offshoots, such as X-Man, Factor X, Amazing X-Men, Weapon X, Astonishing X-Men or X-Calibre? They all belong to the Gold Deluxe Edition, and they are all trade paperbacks. "
yeah you have to read those if you're reading AoA...otherwise you're only reading 2 issues and skipping the whole story
#19 Posted by Edamame (28062 posts) - - Show Bio
@danhimself said:
" @Edamame said:
" Did anyone get those other Age of Apocalypse offshoots, such as X-Man, Factor X, Amazing X-Men, Weapon X, Astonishing X-Men or X-Calibre? They all belong to the Gold Deluxe Edition, and they are all trade paperbacks. "
yeah you have to read those if you're reading AoA...otherwise you're only reading 2 issues and skipping the whole story "
Well, here is the thing. I have those four AOA volumes. So my question is this: What am I missing? Do these four volumes cover everything? I doubt it because I have never seen these pictures in my four volumes:

t

#20 Posted by danhimself (22443 posts) - - Show Bio
@Edamame:  you have the 4 complete volumes that puts the entire story arc in chronological order?  

like this one?
#21 Posted by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio

Hey a me-thread, heh, cool :P

#22 Posted by JonesDeini (3620 posts) - - Show Bio
@FadeToBlackBolt:  
160?! DAAAAAAAYYYYYYUUUUMMMM  
Schyeah, folk. What Xerox Kitty said lol 

Great story though
#23 Posted by SC (12896 posts) - - Show Bio
@FadeToBlackBolt said:
" Hey a me-thread, heh, cool :P "

Did you end up getting AOA BTW? Was it worth it for you? 
#24 Posted by Edamame (28062 posts) - - Show Bio
@danhimself: Yes. I have Volumes 1 - 4, but I don't have these: 

http://www.amazon.com/Factor-X-Men-Apocalypse-Gold-Deluxe/dp/0785101284/ref=sr_1_12?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1299215556&sr=1-12
 http://www.amazon.com/X-Man-X-Men-Apocalypse-Gold-Deluxe/dp/0785101330/ref=pd_sim_b_4 

Etc.  Basically, I don't have any of the Gold Deluxe Editions. 
#25 Posted by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio
@SC said:
" @FadeToBlackBolt said:
" Hey a me-thread, heh, cool :P "
 Did you end up getting AOA BTW? Was it worth it for you?  "
Actually, no, I didn't in the end. It was around this time I was starting to hate Marvel, but by the time I had the cash, I had completely stopped buying Marvel altogether, so I never picked it up. 

@JonesDeini said:
" @FadeToBlackBolt:  160?! DAAAAAAAYYYYYYUUUUMMMM  Schyeah, folk. What Xerox Kitty said lol  Great story though "

Australia is notorious for profiteering >_>
#26 Posted by danhimself (22443 posts) - - Show Bio
@Edamame said:
" @danhimself: Yes. I have Volumes 1 - 4, but I don't have these:    http://www.amazon.com/Factor-X-Men-Apocalypse-Gold-Deluxe/dp/0785101284/ref=sr_1_12?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1299215556&sr=1-12  http://www.amazon.com/X-Man-X-Men-Apocalypse-Gold-Deluxe/dp/0785101330/ref=pd_sim_b_4   Etc.  Basically, I don't have any of the Gold Deluxe Editions.  "
the gold deluxe editions are just the individual mini's of AoA like Astonishing X-men 1-4 and XCalibre 1-4, but the Complete Volumes 1-4 already have all of those issues included so you do have the gold deluxe editions
#27 Posted by Caligula (12417 posts) - - Show Bio
@FadeToBlackBolt: 
I would say pass on it. Most people would have me hung for such an opinion. But the story in my opinion is not that great. Much less so if it will cost you 160 dollars.
#28 Posted by SC (12896 posts) - - Show Bio
@FadeToBlackBolt:  Oh I see. Well understandable. I got mine for $30 from a library. (second hand, but still all good) One day if comics ever stop, at least you know you will have plenty of back stories to read lol
#29 Posted by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio
@SC: Haha, true :P
#30 Posted by Edamame (28062 posts) - - Show Bio
@danhimself said:
" the gold deluxe editions are just the individual mini's of AoA like Astonishing X-men 1-4 and XCalibre 1-4, but the Complete Volumes 1-4 already have all of those issues included so you do have the gold deluxe editions "
 Good. I won't have to buy the Gold Deluxe Editions then, but if that is the case, then why aren't those images that I posted in my four volumes?

@Caligula said:
" @FadeToBlackBolt:  I would say pass on it. Most people would have me hung for such an opinion. But the story in my opinion is not that great. Much less so if it will cost you 160 dollars. "
It certainly has its flaws.
#31 Posted by danhimself (22443 posts) - - Show Bio
@FadeToBlackBolt:  you can the 4 complete volumes for like 20 bucks a piece on Amazon...12 -15 if you go with used copies
#32 Posted by danhimself (22443 posts) - - Show Bio
@Edamame:   no idea...I don't remember them specifically but have you gone through each book panel to panel?
#33 Posted by Caligula (12417 posts) - - Show Bio
@Edamame: 

I personally feel that so many of the people who say it is good were influenced by their friends or people they respect and such saying it was good, that they automatically make excuses for it. and they automatically feel like they like, when if they sit down and really think on it, they know it's not that good. I know that's how it went for me. I thought it was good when i first read it, but i was also around so many people who kept telling me how brilliant it was. Then I went back and read it again, and have thought about it. And even in it's brightest moments it is mediocre at best.
#34 Posted by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio
@danhimself: Thanks, but I've sworn off all Marvel until they get their act together =]
#35 Posted by Caligula (12417 posts) - - Show Bio
@FadeToBlackBolt said:
" @danhimself: Thanks, but I've sworn off all Marvel until they get their act together =] "
good move. they are in a weird place right now.
#36 Posted by Edamame (28062 posts) - - Show Bio
@danhimself said:
" @Edamame:   no idea...I don't remember them specifically but have you gone through each book panel to panel? "
Literally, yes.  So I am completely confused right now. LOL I hear that some of those pictures come from one of the many X-Man issues, but I don't know which trade they belong to.

Also, do you recall how the first volume starts immediately with Magneto training the X-Men? What book shows what happens before that? What book shows all of those nuclear strikes, Sabretooth's companionship with Holocaust, etc.?
#37 Posted by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio
@Caligula said:
" @FadeToBlackBolt said:
" @danhimself: Thanks, but I've sworn off all Marvel until they get their act together =] "
good move. they are in a weird place right now. "
Bendis >_>
#38 Posted by Edamame (28062 posts) - - Show Bio
@Caligula said:
" @Edamame:   I personally feel that so many of the people who say it is good were influenced by their friends or people they respect and such saying it was good, that they automatically make excuses for it. and they automatically feel like they like, when if they sit down and really think on it, they know it's not that good. I know that's how it went for me. I thought it was good when i first read it, but i was also around so many people who kept telling me how brilliant it was. Then I went back and read it again, and have thought about it. And even in it's brightest moments it is mediocre at best. "
LOL That is certainly possible. Peer pressure? ; ) 

You are right though. I felt that only at least two volumes were good. I felt like selling one of the volumes back. I personally found the Sugar-Man scenes to be a bit boring. I only really liked the Holocaust, Sinister and Abyss scenes. 
#39 Posted by Caligula (12417 posts) - - Show Bio
@Edamame:  
yeah. I gave all of mine to my Ex-girlfriend (at the time we were together) who loves it. (probably the reason we are no longer together) ;)
#40 Posted by danhimself (22443 posts) - - Show Bio
@Edamame said:
" @danhimself said:
" @Edamame:   no idea...I don't remember them specifically but have you gone through each book panel to panel? "
Literally, yes.  So I am completely confused right now. LOL I hear that some of those pictures come from one of the many X-Man issues, but I don't know which trade they belong to. Also, do you recall how the first volume starts immediately with Magneto training the X-Men? What book shows what happens before that? What book shows all of those nuclear strikes, Sabretooth's companionship with Holocaust, etc.? "
yeah it was in X-men Chronicles
#41 Posted by Edamame (28062 posts) - - Show Bio
@danhimself said:
yeah it was in X-men Chronicles "
Do I need to get that to see what isn't in my four volumes?
#42 Posted by danhimself (22443 posts) - - Show Bio
@Edamame said:
" @danhimself said:
Do I need to get that to see what isn't in my four volumes? "
no it should have been in Volume 1
#43 Posted by Edamame (28062 posts) - - Show Bio
@danhimself said:
" @Edamame said:
" @danhimself said:
no it should have been in Volume 1 "
Oh, okay. So I am all set then. 
Thank you for answering all of my questions. LOL
#44 Posted by danhimself (22443 posts) - - Show Bio
@Edamame said:
" @danhimself said:
" @Edamame said:
" @danhimself said:
no it should have been in Volume 1 "
Oh, okay. So I am all set then.  Thank you for answering all of my questions. LOL "
no problem...there are some AoA issues that aren't included in those volumes...only because they were released after the volumes were completed...there was a one shot a few years back and a 6 issue mini as well...the 6 issue mini takes place after the events of AoA and from the interview I read Uncanny X-Force will reference those events...the one shot takes place before the events of AoA and deals with Blink being found, Colossus retiring from field duty to teach Generation Next
#45 Posted by Edamame (28062 posts) - - Show Bio
@danhimself said:
" no problem...there are some AoA issues that aren't included in those volumes...only because they were released after the volumes were completed...there was a one shot a few years back and a 6 issue mini as well...the 6 issue mini takes place after the events of AoA and from the interview I read Uncanny X-Force will reference those events...the one shot takes place before the events of AoA and deals with Blink being found, Colossus retiring from field duty to teach Generation Next "
Oh.  Do any of those involve Apocalypse, Sinister, Abyss or Holocaust? 
By the way, did you like Sugar-Man? I found him to be a bit mundane. He is very intelligent and evil, but I didn't like him that much. I also found that character, who was up in that ship in outer space, to be a bit weird. Do you know who I am talking about? 
Also, did you like Wolverine? Not Logan, but the one who was killed by Gambit.
#46 Posted by danhimself (22443 posts) - - Show Bio
@Edamame said:
" @danhimself said:
" no problem...there are some AoA issues that aren't included in those volumes...only because they were released after the volumes were completed...there was a one shot a few years back and a 6 issue mini as well...the 6 issue mini takes place after the events of AoA and from the interview I read Uncanny X-Force will reference those events...the one shot takes place before the events of AoA and deals with Blink being found, Colossus retiring from field duty to teach Generation Next "
Oh.  Do any of those involve Apocalypse, Sinister, Abyss or Holocaust?  By the way, did you like Sugar-Man? I found him to be a bit mundane. He is very intelligent and evil, but I didn't like him that much. I also found that character, who was up in that ship in outer space, to be a bit weird. Do you know who I am talking about?  Also, did you like Wolverine? Not Logan, but the one who was killed by Gambit. "
Age of Apocalypse was the first X-men stuff that I ever read so I hold it in pretty high regards...I Sugar-Man was alright..I mean he's not one of my faves or anything but he was alright for what he was....I honestly don't remember the character that you're talking about....I thought it was cool that there was another character running around named Wolverine instead of Logan but they could have made him a lot cooler....in the 6 issue mini Sinister is the new big bad
#47 Posted by Edamame (28062 posts) - - Show Bio
Hmm....  Well, he sort of looked like a vampire with black robes.  I believe he was on Apocalypse's ship when Apocalypse had to heal himself.   I think he was even trying to oust Apocalypse. 

What was that one shot that you were referring to, if I may ask?
#48 Posted by kest (21 posts) - - Show Bio
@danhimself:
Thanks for this thread, I was wondering the same thing about the AoA story arc, since the upcoming issues of Uncanny X-force will be taking on that story arc. Just didnt want to be totally lost or missing out on some key points.
#49 Posted by doublezeroduck (98 posts) - - Show Bio

@Edamame said:

@danhimself said:
" @Edamame said:
yeah you have to read those if you're reading AoA...otherwise you're only reading 2 issues and skipping the whole story "
Well, here is the thing. I have those four AOA volumes. So my question is this: What am I missing? Do these four volumes cover everything? I doubt it because I have never seen these pictures in my four volumes:

t

Might be from Onslaught story line. I haven't read those though so IDK

#50 Posted by danhimself (22443 posts) - - Show Bio

@doublezeroduck said:

@Edamame said:

@danhimself said:
" @Edamame said:

t

Might be from Onslaught story line. I haven't read those though so IDK

well Holocaust wasn't in the Onslaught storyline and in the second image he's talking to Abyss who was one of Apocalypse's horsemen in AoA and in the third he says Apocalypse so I don't think they're from the Onslaught storyline

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.