The Adara wiki last edited by trayc27 on 01/31/15 06:03PM
View full history
Adara lived for the Green Lantern Corps; the Corps shaped her whole identity, exposed her to the wonders of the universe, and gave her purpose. When the Parallax possessed Hal Jordan destroyed the Central Power Battery he destroyed the ability of Green Lantern’s throughout the universe to power their rings, effectively destroying the Corps itself. For many Lanterns this was a devastating blow; for Adara, losing the power, the prestige, and identity as a Green Lantern was too much to bear. When Jordan destroyed the Battery, Adara was engaged in a fight with a group of Corellian privateers. Powerless, she was certain to die, however instead of killing the newly depowered Lantern the privateers took her prisoner. This proved to be a fatal miscalculation; although Adara no longer wielded a power ring she was still more then capable of escaping from the privateers. Adara armed herself with a pair of blasters and disappeared into the underworld of the universe.
Adara would later encounter Kyle Rayner, wielder of the last power ring in the universe while in a nameless cantina on a remote alien world. Rayner was engaged in a bar fight at the time. Adara was shocked to see a working power ring and immediately came to Rayner’s aid. The former and present Green Lanterns found a quiet place to discuss the fall of the Corps and Rayner’s new role in the universe. Eventually they would spend the night together. Unfortunately their romance was short lived. When Rayner awoke he found that his ring was missing. He tracked Adara down and found her desperately trying to get the ring to work for her. Adara was unaware that Rayner’s ring was keyed to his genetics alone and could not be wielded by another. Although she was remorseful over resorting to theft, Adara revealed that being a Green Lantern was the only thing that mattered to her. She returned the ring and tearfully refused Rayner’s comfort, demanding to be left alone. As he walked away Rayner was startled by the sound of blaster fire. Realizing that she would never again be a Green Lantern, Adara had committed suicide. Her body was placed in the Crypts of Oa.
Adara was introduced six issues after Parallax destroyed the Green Lantern Corps. Her character was a powerful example of hoe the Corps destruction and the loss of such power impacted members of the Green Lantern Corps.
Adara only made one appearance but her desperate attempts to steal Kyle's ring, and her subsequent suicide over no longer being a Green Lantern, a remember as a powerful tale of how the loss of the Corps affect the entire universe. Adara has also gained some notoriety being one of Kyle Rayner's many "dead girlfriends".
Adara is memorialized in the Crypts of Oa alongside other fallen members of the Corps.
Major Story Arcs
Adara appeared as a Black Lantern during the Blackest Night.
Green Lantern Corps: Fearsome
Adara is seen memorialized in the Crypts of Oa.
Green Lantern File
- Status: Deceased
- Space Sector: 62
- Sector Partner: Service pre-dated Sector Partners
- Homeworld: Unknown
- Predecessor: Unknown
- Successor: Unknown
Powers And Abilities
The abilities the ring grants her are:
- Animating: A Green Lantern can will things to move how he wants.
- Artificial Intelligence: Every ring has a connection to the Main Battery on Oa, which taps into an artificial intelligence. It acts as an "on-board computer," telling the wearer what they need to know. It can either respond out loud, or silently directly to the wearer's mind. The AI contains a large database of information that may be crucial to a Lantern's success. The ring also translates nearly every language to and from the wearer (though they have difficulty translating profanity), which is why the Corps can communicate with each other. When the bearer of a Green Lantern ring dies, the ring will seek out a suitable replacement for their sector. The AI can be used to play a holographic playback sequence complete with colors across the spectrum based on information in memory banks. The ring can dictate when to pause or stop the playback should an interruption arise where the Lanterns undivided attention is needed. The AI can also alert the wielder of incoming threats or of attempts to manipulate the wielders construct by an outside party.
- Burglar Alarm: A Green Lantern can coat anything with the ring's beam and thus, if anyone other than himself touches it, his ring will glow, alerting him to the possible theft.
- Communicator: The ring can act as a personal communicator between Green Lanterns. They have also been seen connected to telephones.
- Costumes: The wearer of the ring may create any costume they choose, based on their personal preferences, whenever they choose. The ring projects the costume over any clothes already worn at the time. The only rules that the Guardians of the Universe implement on the creation of a individual costumed is that the ring bearer display the insignia of the Green Lantern Corps.
- Energy Projection: The rings can also project beams, form protective bubbles and force fields, and fire destructive blasts. Sometimes, depending on the wearer, the beams and blasts make sounds. Kilowog's ring is one such example of blasts making sounds.
- Energy Constructs: The rings can construct anything the wearer can imagine from hard-light energy, as long as they are willing to make it. The more determined the wearer is, the more complex and intricate these things can be. The constructs can even be so complex as to form working machines, computers, and even people.
- Flight: The ring allows the wearer to fly in atmosphere or in space, and can achieve incredible speeds, moving from planet to planet in a matter of hours.
- Invisibility: The ring can make the wearer or anything else invisible.
- Matter Manipulation: A Green Lantern can use their ring to manipulate nearby matter, such as water, for various purposes such as a construct that acts like an energy construct but can block something yellow and may serve a purpose that an energy construct couldn't perform.
- Mind Control: The wearer of the Ring can use it to plant post hypnotic commands or control a person.
- Mirages: The Ring can create mirages/illusions.
- Phasing: The ring allows the user to go through walls. This ability however required great concentration on the bearer of the ring
- Power Absorbing: In the JLA's first fight with Amazo, it was GL who defeated him by drawing out all of Amazo's powers. In Green Lantern/ Silver Surfer: Unholy Alliances, Kyle defeated Parallax with SS' power and Thanos with Oa's energy by drawing out all that extra energy from them which made them unconscious. However he couldn't hold all that power nor could his Ring like Hal did with Amazo's powers, so that move isn't often used with so much power.
- Probing: The ring can probe the Lantern's or another person's mind, allowing him to uncover memories or the person's thoughts. (An ability which has not been seen for some time)
- Recharging: The rings need to be recharged by means of a Power Battery. Other large sources of power may be used to recharge a power ring, however effectiveness may vary. The internal power source of a Manhunter Android is, in effect, the same as a power battery, and can be used to recharge a power ring. During the JLA / Avengers crossover, a Cosmic Cubewas used to recharge a depleted ring, although this is not an ideal solution and is available if there are no other options.
- Ring Duplication: Each ring can duplicate itself, creating a second ring which may be given to another as a backup, for protection, or to help the lantern in times of great need. This duplicate ring is exactly like a normal ring.
- Temperature Control: The Ring can increase or decrease the temperature of anything, even something as large as stars, or even create bubbles of intense heat or cold, even down to Absolute Zero. This could be seen in the recent Sinestro Corps War when Sallak used his ring to incase an enemy in a force bubble an incinerate him.
- Transforming (former): The ring can transform anyone or anything, be it into an animal, altering their state of appearance, or their size. Once Hal and Alan turned the two Flashes ( Barryand Jay) to light protons in order to free them from prisons.
- Electro-magnetic scanning: The ring can allow(through the use of x rays) the user to see through walls, without the people on the other side knowing. it can also scan along the Electromagnetic spectrum.
- Wormhole/Warps: The ring can open wormholes to cut down on distance.
- Healing: A wielder can command a ring to heal him/her/itself of any injures incurred. It can also heal others. This ability however cannot regenerate lost limbs.
- Energy twin: The ring can create an energy copy of the wielder which is connected to the ring wielder, any information the twin gathers is transferred to the wielder upon touch while others cannot see this twin apart from fellow Green Lanterns. (An ability which has not been seen for some time)
- Pocket dimension: Within the ring is a pocket dimension which can altered to the wielders specification. It can be used to contain opponents.
- Sub-routines: The power rings have inner programmings or mechanisms which can executed without the users permission. One such sub-routine is the autoshield. This shield automatically protects a wielder from external harm and has been proven to be capable of protecting the wielder from planetary level attacks.
- Radiation: Besides light based radiation used to create the energy constructs associated with a Green Lantern, the ring can simulate various forms of radiation. One example of this is the ability to simulate the radiation of Green Kryptonite, a form of radiation that is harmful to Superman. However, this ability is no longer valid and has been retconned.
- Time travel: The ring allows the wielder the ability to travel through time, though the process requires great willpower.
- Mental Incapacitation: The ring cannot be wielded correctly if the wearer is under the influence of drugs or if there is an involvement of neural interference.
- Yellow Impurity: In the beginning the Green Ring was vulnerable to the color yellow. It was unable to defend against attacks from wielders of the Sinestro Corps as well. This weakness however has now be changed and can be overcome by veterans who have the ability to overcome great fear. Hal Jordan was of the first of the Green Lanterns to show that this weakness could be overcome.
- Recharge: Previously had to be recharged every 24 hours or when it has been depleted of energy. This can be accomplished if the bearer of the ring recites an oath into his power lantern while holding the ring to it. However now, the power ring only needs to be recharged when it runs out of energy. Sinestro stated to Hal that it was possible for a Green Lantern to store his.her battery in a pocket Universe and take it with them wherever they went but so far Hal has not displayed the ability to do this.
- Red Lantern Corps. Bearers of the red ring have the ability to drain a Green Power Ring of its energy. The ring of a Blue Lantern however has the ability to charge a Green Lantern Ring or negate this negative effect. Blue Lanterns rings also have the ability to purge the negative effects that a Red Lanterns Ring can cause upon the wielder of a Green Lantern Ring.
- Ability To Kill (previous): One of the main weaknesses of the Power Rings that greatly disturbed Sinestro was the fact that the bearers of the Green Lantern Ring were unable to kill. Recently however, this restriction on the rings has been lifted but murder is still against the law of the GL Corps. This restriction was lifted by the Guardians of the Universe during the War of the Green Lanterns.