Unbreakable?

#2 Posted by Buckshot (18678 posts) - - Show Bio

If you really want to get into it over words, look at the definition of "break".

To cause to separate into pieces suddenly or violently...To separate into components or parts...To destroy the completeness of...To vary or disrupt the uniformity or continuity of...To render useless or inoperative...To cause the ruin or failure of...etc

It fits.

#3 Posted by Gottheit (3473 posts) - - Show Bio

Aztek just got Francisco Vásquez de Coronado'ed! Oh snap!

#5 Posted by Buckshot (18678 posts) - - Show Bio

aztek_the_lost says:

"I understood "break" as meaning, adamantium could not be destroyed through force...what about Anatarctic vibranium, it can liquify adamantium, would that count as "breaking""

It fits the definition, though liquefy or destabilize would create a more accurate picture of what's happening.

aztek_the_lost says:

"Also molecular manipulation can transmutate adamantium into another element and then break it, perhaps that is what was done"

Doesn't say that in the comic though.

#7 Posted by Gottheit (3473 posts) - - Show Bio

I thought his was a mixture of adamantium AND vibranium...It's just in the Ultimates that his shield is pure adamantium...

#8 Posted by Buckshot (18678 posts) - - Show Bio

aztek_the_lost says:

"that's what I mean, in later comics I believe it mentions it to be adamantium but in its original appearance it was a vibranium-steel alloy that could not be replicated"

Depends if they were mistakes or retcons. That's something you'd need to have a real discussion on. I've heard it was made both ways.

#9 Posted by Gottheit (3473 posts) - - Show Bio

Well, how earlier? In the seventies, or eighties?

#11 Posted by Gottheit (3473 posts) - - Show Bio

Well, see, there you go. They often ignore or change facts. Like, it used to be, Wolverine never had bone claws and never fought in WW2, or even had much of a healing factor. A lot of things are just changed or ignored, as I've redundantly stated earlier, when it's convenient, or when writers feel their history or concept is somehow more valid then earlier takes on the character or item. Thor's hammer used to be the Hammer of Uru before it was called Mjollner. Things like that.

#12 Posted by Legendary Bio Vishanti (3333 posts) - - Show Bio

aztek_the_lost says:

"When Molecule Man destroys Captain America's Shield, Thor's Hammer and Silver Surfer's Board he is not breaking them, rather he is unmaking them, so it should not be listed as an instance where the shield was broken should it"

It's molecular manipulation.

#14 Posted by Bob-A-Ferret (75 posts) - - Show Bio

Wow This is a fun thread I would say from my reading and understanding that the union shield was pure Vibranium and the buckler is 40 %Vibranium 40% Adamantium and 20% steel alloy. However USAgents Buckler shield would be 80% Vibranium and 20% steel alloy 

#15 Posted by onigamegeek (17 posts) - - Show Bio
@aztek the lost said:
"

When Molecule Man destroys Captain America's Shield, Thor's Hammer and Silver Surfer's Board he is not breaking them, rather he is unmaking them, so it should not be listed as an instance where the shield was broken should it

"
on a molecular level, molecule manipulation. Magneto did about the same thing when it came up to ripping the adamantium out of Wolverine's body. and on the adamantium page, it said that Captain America's shield was broken five different times. Plus it's made of a admantium-vibranium alloy, guess that's a bad combo.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.