Does Adamantium make sound ??

#1 Posted by Mr.AllAboutWolverine (104 posts) - - Show Bio

One day I was thinking about properties of adamantium and I gave my self a question.
Does adamantium make sound ?
It bothers me because to make a sound the source of the sound must vibrate and vibration means that object is at some level flexible.
But what if the object is indestructible ? 
Example:
Adamantium smooth disc is hited by iron hammer. The hammer will go in to vibration so it will make sound. What about the adamantium disc ??

#2 Posted by Aronmorales (9291 posts) - - Show Bio

Hmm...good question, a question I don't have the answer to...

#3 Posted by Mr.AllAboutWolverine (104 posts) - - Show Bio

So am I but that's why I made this forum to talk about it  ; ) even ift he idea is immposible.

#4 Posted by xerox_kitty (15762 posts) - - Show Bio

Snikt!

#5 Posted by EdwardWindsor (14340 posts) - - Show Bio

thast probably just the skin rip ^

#6 Posted by The_Martian (36984 posts) - - Show Bio
@xerox-kitty said:
" Snikt! "
#7 Posted by Andferne (38808 posts) - - Show Bio
@lazystudent said:
" thast probably just the skin rip ^ "
I figured that would be the sound of the metal sliding against his forearm as it pushes outwards.
#8 Posted by EdwardWindsor (14340 posts) - - Show Bio
@Andferne:  yeah probably but taht answer would mean yes adamantuim does make sound since when the caws rub against the meatl bone thats the sound intresting iam thinking you may have cracked it lol
#9 Posted by The_Martian (36984 posts) - - Show Bio

Skin doesn't normally make a snikt noise when its cut.

#10 Posted by EdwardWindsor (14340 posts) - - Show Bio
@Nobody:  have you ever heard adamantuim tearing skin ? lol
#11 Posted by Vortex13 (12264 posts) - - Show Bio
@Nobody said:
" Skin doesn't normally make a snikt noise when its cut. "
LMAO, yea that would be weird but now I kind of wish it did do that lol.
#12 Posted by castleking (24119 posts) - - Show Bio
logan's claws possess flexibility and tensile strength. his Ada. should not be lumped in with other Ada. since his is Beta Ada. with different properties.
#13 Posted by EdwardWindsor (14340 posts) - - Show Bio
@castleking:  this beghs the question to the different types of adamantuim have different sound realted properties then are some silent while otehr arent , do they makediffernet picthed sounds etc
#14 Edited by castleking (24119 posts) - - Show Bio
if you want to go by comic history then yes Ada, does make sound. if you want to look at it logically and by real world science i dont know what to tell u.
#15 Posted by xerox_kitty (15762 posts) - - Show Bio
@lazystudent said:
" @Nobody:  have you ever heard adamantuim tearing skin ? lol "
Have you ever heard skin tearing?  It doesn't sound like metal... and the screaming noise that quickly follows is louder & less pleasant. 

'Snikt' dates back to a time when they thought that Wolverine's only mutant power was his healing factor & that the claws were manufactured.  It is a metallic sound, not of soft tissue.  Therefore it is most likely of the Adamantium claws as they are sliding to a halt alongside the other Adamantium bones in his fore-arm, wrist & knuckles.  After that, they would sound just like any kind of sword as it clashes in a fight against other foreign objects.
#16 Posted by EdwardWindsor (14340 posts) - - Show Bio
@castleking:  its tough since iam a scientist so il like the sort of real world aproach but since wher tlking about an impossible metal i think stick to comic , the question is do the diferent types make differnet sounds depending on there strenght/flexabilty/atomic structure
#17 Edited by castleking (24119 posts) - - Show Bio
@xerox-kitty said:

" Have you ever heard skin tearing?  It doesn't sound like metal... and the screaming noise that quickly follows is louder & less pleasant.  'Snikt' dates back to a time when they thought that Wolverine's only mutant power was his healing factor & that the claws were manufactured.  It is a metallic sound, not of soft tissue.  Therefore it is most likely of the Adamantium claws as they are sliding to a halt alongside the other Adamantium bones in his fore-arm, wrist & knuckles.  After that, they would sound just like any kind of sword as it clashes in a fight against other foreign objects. "

ah the good old days when logan was Bionic. how i miss actually good thought out written stories. not like today.
#18 Posted by EdwardWindsor (14340 posts) - - Show Bio
@xerox-kitty:  i did say i agreed to this earlier after thinking about it, theres no telling what logans skin would sound like tearing anyways since its genetic structure is different to base human but i agree the sound is most probably the claws and arm bones grinding and clicking into place sk- for grind int- for lock into place
#19 Posted by ARMIV (3876 posts) - - Show Bio

Y'know,all these explanations sound extremely painful.

#20 Posted by joshmightbe (24688 posts) - - Show Bio

it is possible to vibrate without being flexible if its not in a fixed position it should make some kind of sound if something hits it
#21 Posted by TOAA (155 posts) - - Show Bio

It could be that the sound Snikt is coming from the sound of Wolverine's claws sliding against his body. When he had bone claws, extending them made a "shulk" sound. However, being indestructible does not mean inflexible. We do know for a fact that Wolverine's claws have made a sound when slashing against adamantium, so it is safe to assume that when struck with enough force, the adamantium does make a vibration. Adamantium is virtually indestructible anyway, not completely indestructible. There have been examples of adamantium being broken, bent, damaged or destroyed in some way. 

My opinion is that adamantium is virtually indestructible and is flexible enough to make a vibration when struck with enough force. 

#22 Edited by Vortex13 (12264 posts) - - Show Bio
@xerox-kitty said:

" @lazystudent said:

" @Nobody:  have you ever heard adamantuim tearing skin ? lol "
Have you ever heard skin tearing?  It doesn't sound like metal... and the screaming noise that quickly follows is louder & less pleasant.
Typically following an event which causes my skin to tear is a string of profanity.
#23 Posted by Mr.AllAboutWolverine (104 posts) - - Show Bio
@TOAA said:

" It could be that the sound Snikt is coming from the sound of Wolverine's claws sliding against his body. When he had bone claws, extending them made a "shulk" sound. However, being indestructible does not mean inflexible. We do know for a fact that Wolverine's claws have made a sound when slashing against adamantium, so it is safe to assume that when struck with enough force, the adamantium does make a vibration. Adamantium is virtually indestructible anyway, not completely indestructible. There have been examples of adamantium being broken, bent, damaged or destroyed in some way.  My opinion is that adamantium is virtually indestructible and is flexible enough to make a vibration when struck with enough force.  "

You all say very interesting things.  But this one is the closest to answer I think. I'm very happy about this conversation.
PLEASE VISIT:  
http://www.comicvine.com/wolverine/29-1440/lady-deathsrtike-x-ray-view-forom-the-sience/92-417451/#1
http://www.comicvine.com/wolverine/29-1440/i-need-explanation-ultimate-spider-man-guest-wolverine/92-417348/#4 
No one wan't to talk about it. I don't know why.
#24 Posted by G'bandit (13689 posts) - - Show Bio

Logan has some adamantium rails where the claws rest after been drawn. I think that's what makes the sound.

I mean, if he would use his natural mutant base the adamantium claws would just cut the flesh and wouldn't have a strong enough base to attack and wouldn't make the sound. 

I think that's why.

In Old Man Logan wolverine is shown to have those thingies in his hand at the base of the claws, see?

I think the claws clashing against that makes the SNIKT! sound.
#25 Posted by castleking (24119 posts) - - Show Bio
those were designed to keep the wounds open like a piercing making it easier for his claws to come out with less pain.  -_-

his original wpnX procedure had logan with artificial housing for his claws inside his forearms not sure if they have addressed this since he was given back his Ada. or it was completely forgotten,
#26 Posted by G'bandit (13689 posts) - - Show Bio
@castleking said:
" those were designed to keep the wounds open like a piercing making it easier for his claws to come out with less pain.  -_-

his original wpnX procedure had logan with artificial housing for his claws inside his forearms not sure if they have addressed this since he was given back his Ada. or it was completely forgotten,
"
Well they fail then, becaise if the wound is still open and always is, why is there so much blood every time he pops them out?

I mean look at that picture! "Yuriko, Logan is leaking"

I say that's the base of the claws because is what makes most sense. If the claws had no base then when he strikes something hard the skin above would give up and the claws would bend backwards because they have no base other than skin. With those things the claws have a base so he can strike without losing them.
#27 Posted by castleking (24119 posts) - - Show Bio
thats just artist interpretation who know nothing about logan. the things i could teach you and current writers would embarrass them for their lack of knowledge of the character.
#28 Posted by Mr.AllAboutWolverine (104 posts) - - Show Bio

Hmmm, interesting. I think those little things under the claws are a souvenir from times when everyone thought that claws are an implant. 
When the bone claws had their great enter, those thing became a little something to add from time to time. 
Besides I've read that the holes were filled with silicon to stop the bleeding.

#29 Posted by castleking (24119 posts) - - Show Bio
that was a function as well.
#30 Posted by Mr.AllAboutWolverine (104 posts) - - Show Bio

I realized we went too far from the main topic. We talked mostly about Logans claws and if they make sound. We should disscust only about adamantium as a metal that can or can't make sound. Better example: adamantium bell. Shape of a regular medium size church bell but 100% adamantium. Will it make a sound or not and if it does will the sound be as clear and loud as normal bell ??

#31 Posted by mdayschaos (13 posts) - - Show Bio

i believe it will
any two objects will make a sound when banged together

#32 Posted by Mr.AllAboutWolverine (104 posts) - - Show Bio

Are you shure ? If you hit a granite block with metal hammer you will hear the hammer and a sound of breaking rock not the rock itself.

#33 Posted by MadPseudoscientist (14 posts) - - Show Bio

"Snikt" is the sound of adamantium metal claws hitting the adamantium bones in Wolverine's hand. Adamantium doesn't really make any sound unless hit by adamantium. Adamantium makes other objects make sound. Nothing can make adamantium vibrate other than adamantium. Adamantium can cut diamond and make the diamond make sound.
#34 Posted by SC (13341 posts) - - Show Bio

Adamantium isn't absolutely unbreakable, just relatively so, so it would make a sound, under certain circumstances like most things. Wolverine though, being the stoic BA MOFO that he is though, does he make a sound? Maybe thats a question science can't answer, (but I am sure Viper, Domino, Batman or Silver Fox could)

#35 Posted by God_Spawn (38292 posts) - - Show Bio
@SC:
Wolverine speaks in snikts and bubs.  

Typical Wolverine Conversation 

Me: Oh hey Logan what's up 

Wolv: Snikt bub 

Me: Wow really? 

Wolv: Snikt snikt bub snikt 

Me: That sounds kinda gross. 

Wolv: Bub bub bub Snikt, 

Me: No thanks 

Wolv: Bub Snikt snikt 

Me: No i just have better stuff to do 

Wolv: Bub SNikt 

Me: No need to be rude 

Wolv: Bub 

Me: Ok no need for name calling 

Wolv: SNKT 

Me: Whatever bye . 

Wolv: Bub SNIKT SNIKT SNIKT 

Me: Oh yeah? Your mom
#36 Posted by SC (13341 posts) - - Show Bio
@god_spawn:  Ewww, Wolverine is very crude isn't he? I'll tie his shoes together so you can shove some soap down his mouth, lol if it gets lodged in his throat, since he can't die he would have to wait for it to dissolve lol 

lol at you post too. ^_^
#37 Posted by Mr.AllAboutWolverine (104 posts) - - Show Bio
@MadPseudoscientist said:
" "Snikt" is the sound of adamantium metal claws hitting the adamantium bones in Wolverine's hand. Adamantium doesn't really make any sound unless hit by adamantium. Adamantium makes other objects make sound. Nothing can make adamantium vibrate other than adamantium. Adamantium can cut diamond and make the diamond make sound. "
That makes a lot of sense :)

You adamantium, won't make sound unless it is hit by adamantium, is that, what you are saying, right ^^ ??
#38 Posted by MadPseudoscientist (14 posts) - - Show Bio

Yup!

#39 Edited by hihiip201 (15 posts) - - Show Bio

I would think so, when you say something is indestructible I am assuming you are saying the crystal structure of the metal doesn't break- hence no permanent/plastic deformation of the metal.Well turns out you don't need to be "break" the metal for it to vibrate- before Plastic deformation metals can be flexible meaning they can deform temporarily as long as the applied stress is within a certain limit(yield strength). In other word before this limit the metal actually acts like a spring if you apply a force to it - hence it can store mechanical energy (and I believe vibration is mechanical wave in medium).

So I would say if Adamantium is as strong as the comic portray it to be it just have to have a really high yield strength(the limit) if not infinity. Before you reach that limit you can hit it with a hammer to cause vibration of that region of the adamantium where you hit it and it should make sound without permanently deforming it (breaking it).

please correct me if I am wrong.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.