Follow

Adamantium

Object » Adamantium appears in 2747 issues.

A virtually indestructible man-made metal. The strongest metal known. Unbreakable and razor-sharp, it cuts through steel like a paper. Without a healing factor it is poisonous inside the body.

Adamantium vs. a Lightsaber

• 106 results
    Avatar image for alexander_anderson
    Alexander Anderson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

Adamantium, I would guess. The only substance I've seen in Star Wars that can compare with it for pure strength is the quantum-crystalline armor on the Suncrusher, and that stuff cost as much to produce as the entire Death Star.

White Phantom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#52  Edited By White Phantom

I'm going Lightsaber, it just seems much more powerful. And what about The Force?

Spudnasty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#53  Edited By Spudnasty

Force isn't included. You don't need the force to use a lightsaber

Forever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#54  Edited By Forever

White Phantom says:

"I'm going Lightsaber, it just seems much more powerful. And what about The Force?"

An energy weapon seeming more powerful than a piece of metal...

Script

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By Script

Adamantium would own. Lightsabers seem to bounce off thicker metals, and take quite some time to cut through.

Gloom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By Gloom

knightmoon says:

"For me the adamantium wins, because the lightsaber is extremly hot, but the adamantium doesn´t have a fusion point, so for me the adamanitum wins."

Doesn't everything have a melting point?
    Post Edited:2008-02-05 19:08:22

Chaos Burn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

#57  Edited By Chaos Burn

Right, i am an xman fan above anything.

But i thought that you could heat adamntium up to liquid, but once cooled then it's indestructable?

I'm suggesting that lightsaber could kinda, well, melt the adamantium eventually if they were locked in battle.

Though Wolverine would kick some serious butt against a jedi, he's the best at what he does!

Avatar image for spawn_god_slayer
    spawn_god_slayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By spawn_god_slayer

if you actually were a star wars fan you would know that the only thing that could stop a light saber is another light saber or the force!

Sinistron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#59  Edited By Sinistron

Adamantium is the strongest metal on earth but not in the entire universe so i would say a light sabre would be the front-runner in that catergory

Sinistron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By Sinistron

Adamantium is the strongest metal on earth but not in the entire universe so i would say a light sabre would be the front-runner in that catergory

Sinistron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By Sinistron

Lantern Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By Lantern Prime

Lightsaber can cut through any substance.

Lantern Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By Lantern Prime

Well how long would it take then?

Methos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By Methos

Lantern Prime says:

"Lightsaber can cut through any substance."

no it can't...

there are 3 metals in the Star Wars universe alone that it can't cut though...

i did post a huge post on this in one of the Wolverine Vs (Random sith or jedi name) and it was pretty much agreed that a Lightsaber wouldn't slice through Adamantium easily, but it would cut through it after time... depending on how much pressure was put on the blade.

much like how the Lightsabers cut through bulkhead doors, it would take time but it would do it.

M

Methos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By Methos

4 to 5 minutes... maybe less because Wolverine's claws aren't solid Adamantium...

in the meanwhile the metal would be heated to amazing temperatures just from touching the lightsaber which would conduct around him body basically boiling him from the inside out.

Solid "pure" adamantium, maybe 6 to 7 minutes dependent on the thickness

M

speedlgt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By speedlgt

so Caps shield would hold up longer like maybe 10 to 12 min?

Josh Weasley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By Josh Weasley

kuchiku says:

"you fools a lightsaber is a laser it would bounce of the adamantium the silver samuria's sword could not penetrate the metal i doubt the saber could."

you dont know much about Lightsabers do you?

Josh Weasley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By Josh Weasley

i go with methos(as nearly always)

plus this adamantium vs. lightsaber, not wolverine vs. Darth vader, so it mens i suppose if you test the theory by pressing one another against each other lightsaber eventually cuts through.

i suppose if it was in SWU lightsaber wins but in MU adamantium wins.

Methos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By Methos

speedlgt says:

"so Caps shield would hold up longer like maybe 10 to 12 min?"

not sure, i haven't researched Vibranium enough...

i could look into it if you really wanted a definitive answer though lol

M

speedlgt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By speedlgt

Nah thats cool I mean pretty much a saber slash is not gonna cut His shield so thats really all I was thinking of

Methos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By Methos

nah, a single slash isn't going to slice the shield in two... might damage it and the conductive heat that flashed through the shield from contact with plasma would probably give his hand third degree burns and set his glove on fire, but it wouldn't cut the shield lol

M

Logan890

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By Logan890

There is a metal that LightSabers cannot penetrate, Called phrik alloy,(Electrostaffs). In tha days of future past or something like that the sentinal blasted Wolverine with a Thermo blast and it did not scracth the metal. Adamantium wins :)

fatetwister64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By fatetwister64

I have to go with Fennewalde,

I think that adamantium would be able to deflect a few blow, but prolonged exposure to a lightsaber's blade would leave alot of damage, if not eventually break it.

Erik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#74  Edited By Erik
    spawn_god_slayer said:
    "

if you actually were a star wars fan you would know that the only thing that could stop a light saber is another light saber or the force!

"

I I thought that it has already been established that there are a few things in the SWU that can deflect a lightsabre. Me personally, I think they would cancel each other out. Neither wins.
    Madara Umezawa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By Madara Umezawa

Adamantium would eventually prevail

alls you have to do is destroy the lightsabers emitter (handle) or destroy the crystal that powers it

DuLake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By DuLake

I agree with Methos on the main concept, but I have to disagree on a few points.
        One, the theory that a single slash of a lightsaber would transfer enough heat to an object to superheat it enough to cause burns is either limited or false. We have seen many people in various SW canon fight with sword and things and none of them received instantaneous burns from heat transfer. Though no as hot, I compare this theory to a firing pan on a hot stove, unless you
     are using a pan that s made from material that conducts heat especially well, it takes continual heat to warm the pan and it's contents. From the punishment we've seen adamantium take, I highly doubt that it has a high rate of heat transfer.  I also point out scenes like that Qui-Gon Episode 1 scene where lightsabers are used as cutting implements, we see melted orange glowing metal for less than an inch from the incision, while surrounding metal is unscathed. This leads me to believe that lightsabers do not leak heat into a broad area, but rather only transfer heat to molecules that are in close contact to the blade. I do agree however, that if held in contact with an adamantium skeleton for a prolonged amount of time, it may be able to transfer high temperatures through that adamantium plated bone, and any bone directly touching it. I have questions as to how well it would transfer heat through tissue to the next bone and the next and so forth.
        Two, I seem to recall hearing about some scene in some book where Luke and Mara are trying to cut Cortosis or something and , while they eventually do, run into the problem of frequent glitches in their sabers, causing the blade to turn of and 'die' for a few seconds, minutes. This would definitely turn the tide in a battle, but of course, this is merely a topic of the two elements (The blade and the metal). I don't know if this actually changes the outcome of the metal vs blade fight, but I thought I'd throw it out there.
        Three, according to the Comicvine page on adamantium, assuming this site is accurate, it claims anti-metal releases vibrations that can melt true adamantium. It could be theorized that lightsabers release similar vibrations that allow it to cut metal, using comparably low temperatures (as in 300-500 degrees) to simulate the melting of metal, but not actually operate in that way. This could mean that cortosis, phrykk, etc, merely absorb vibrations better than most metals. This being the outandish 'just throwing it out there' theory.
        Overall though, I have to give you props, Methos. You pretty much nailed it.

Venom-Hulker_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 6

#77  Edited By Venom-Hulker_1
    kuchiku said:
    "

um nothing can destreoy adamantium but powers like mAGNETO can take it away

"

Actually You're wrong Because look at the Hulk issue where he fought onslaut Onslaught's Armor is much more Stronger than Adamantium And Hulk destroyed it with a few blows. Point Made.
    Lunacyde

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#78  Edited By Lunacyde  Moderator
    Venom-Hulker_1 said:
    "kuchiku said:
    "

"

Actually You're wrong Because look at the Hulk issue where he fought onslaut Onslaught's Armor is much more Stronger than Adamantium And Hulk destroyed it with a few blows. Point Made."
    I don't know where you get your info but I am pretty sure that Onslaughts armor is not much stronger than true adamantium.
    Lunacyde

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#79  Edited By Lunacyde  Moderator
    Venom-Hulker_1 said:
    "kuchiku said:
    "

"

Actually You're wrong Because look at the Hulk issue where he fought onslaut Onslaught's Armor is much more Stronger than Adamantium And Hulk destroyed it with a few blows. Point Made."
    I don't know where you get your info but I am pretty sure that Onslaughts armor is not much stronger than true adamantium.
    AssertingValor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 65

#80  Edited By AssertingValor

It depends on the melting point of adamantium, but a light saber has never been matched that i know of so i think a light saber could possibly melt adamantiun

Vrakmul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By Vrakmul
    kuchiku said:
    "

you fools a lightsaber is a laser it would bounce of the adamantium the silver samuria's sword could not penetrate the metal i doubt the saber could.

"
    Star wars doesn't use lasers, they use turbolaser technology, which is very very different from lasers, for example you can see a turbo laser from behind, you can't do that with a laser, turbolasers explode, lasers don't, turbolasers can create flak clouds, lasers cannot, turbolasers have barrels not focusing lenses, a single turbolaser bolt from an republic acclamator class assault ship has the same energy as a 200 gigaton of tnt equivalent explosive, a laser that released the same amount of energy would be far far far larger than an acclamator. 
    Skellex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By Skellex

Kuchiku..why are you an idiot? And stop being emo :S

master-toxin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By master-toxin
    kuchiku said:
    "

"

Captain America's shield  is made of adamantium and it has been destroyed many times the only anamantium that is 
    Villelater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By Villelater

a Light Saber ain't gonna cut it

Thor-El

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By Thor-El

This all depends on how you look at it. Are we talking a blade of adamantium or a block and are we talking in a fight or just cutting?

There are quit a few things that a lightsaber can't cut in the SWU. each of them for different reasons. Some of them short out the lightsaber because they are durable enough and have the ability to get between the arc of the blade. If adamantium was like this then a lightsaber could never cut through it. I believe that it is not like this though. If we are talking about a person with a lightsaber fighting a person with a sword made of adamantium I say the sword would be able to block the lightsaber but only for so long. If we have somebody trying to cut an adamantium block in two it would take a long time but could happen. Adamantium can be melted with a hot enough temp but the melted metal still wants to stay together on a molecular level. This is why it is so strong. A lightsaber would be able to heat the metal with enough time and due to the lightsaber being able to repel most substances away from the arc of the blade (which is what prevents them from shorting out when cuting through say a blast door) and therefore would probably be able to force the liquid adamantium to seperate and therefore would cut through the block.Tis would take much time though and strength behind it too. You would need a person forcing the lightsaber down through the block of metal. Depending on the amount of adamantium it might take to long for the person as it is believed that the lightsaber could cut through phrik metal (the metal the staffs of Grievous's bodyguards are made of) would be cut through in years of contact. If we look at adamantium the same way the person with the saber would die after a long enough time and if adamantium was durable enough could outlive the battery of the lightsaber. Therefore I say that a lightsaber could cut through adamantium given enough time and force but even if these existed in the same universe nobody with the lightsaber would stay and try and cut say a door of adamantium but rather look for a different place to cut through. This is only my opinion though and don't say I am just a Star Wars fan and don't care about Marvel because I am a fan of both.

Bob-A-Ferret

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By Bob-A-Ferret

As Light sabers are a plasma blade not a laser beam it could defiantly heat the adamatium. That said Cyclops shoots a plasma discharge capable of leveling a mountain and has been unable to affect Wolverine's bones.
    Additionally lightsabers  are not able to cut through every thing there is at least 2 minerals one is a metal in the starwars universe that are impervious to the lightsabers abilities.
    So the answer is NO a lightsaber would not work against it.

Korg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#87  Edited By Korg
    Bob-A-Ferret said:
    "As Light sabers are a plasma blade not a laser beam it could defiantly heat the adamatium. That said Cyclops shoots a plasma discharge "
    No, he doesn't. He projects beams of concussive force. No heat involved, and certainly no plasma.
    Strafe Prower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#88  Edited By Strafe Prower

lightsaber

Bob-A-Ferret

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By Bob-A-Ferret

I disagree but then again you may be using a different definition than I am of Plasma. Plasma is the 4th state of matter. In fact the exact definition is.  In physics and chemistry, plasma is a partially ionizedgas, in which a certain proportion of electrons are free rather than being bound to an atom or molecule. The ability of the positive and negative charges to move somewhat independently makes the plasma electrically conductive so that it responds strongly to electromagnetic fields. Plasma therefore has properties quite unlike those of solids, liquids or gases and is considered to be a distinct state of matter. Plasma typically takes the form of neutral gas-like clouds, as seen, for example, in the case of stars. Like gas, plasma does not have a definite shape or a definite volume unless enclosed in a container, but unlike gas, in the influence of a magnetic field, it may form structures such as filaments, beams and double layers.

Which arguably would be a concussive force. As plasma can be made to rend steel. 

Nahero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#90  Edited By Nahero

well i know that a lightsaber cannot cut through all substances but if lets say against an adamantium enforced door wall the lightsaber it'd take a while for the sword to melt through it thats how powerful adamantium is 

Erik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By Erik
    Bob-A-Ferret said:
    "I disagree but then again you may be using a different definition than I am of Plasma. Plasma is the 4th state of matter. In fact the exact definition is.  In physics and chemistry, plasma is a partially ionizedgas, in which a certain proportion of electrons are free rather than being bound to an atom or molecule. The ability of the positive and negative charges to move somewhat independently makes the plasma electrically conductive so that it responds strongly to electromagnetic fields. Plasma therefore has properties quite unlike those of solids, liquids or gases and is considered to be a distinct state of matter. Plasma typically takes the form of neutral gas-like clouds, as seen, for example, in the case of stars. Like gas, plasma does not have a definite shape or a definite volume unless enclosed in a container, but unlike gas, in the influence of a magnetic field, it may form structures such as filaments, beams and double layers.

Which arguably would be a concussive force. As plasma can be made to rend steel. 
    "
    Thanks for the wiki post. Cyclops' blasts are not plasma. They are pure kinetic force. Kinetic force that is extra-dimensional in nature. 
    Korg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#92  Edited By Korg
    Bob-A-Ferret said:
    "Wiki entry on plasma"
    I know what plasma is. Scott's eyes do not emit plasma.
    SUNMAN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93  Edited By SUNMAN
    Korg said:
    "Bob-A-Ferret said:
    "Wiki entry on plasma"
    I know what plasma is. Scott's eyes do not emit plasma.
    "
    true. It has been said a number of times cyclops blasts do not admit any heat only concussive force. Plasma would admit an extreme heat, which could possible melt Wolverine's adamantium. I'm just going off of the X2 movie and an educated guess, but since the only way to mold/shape or graph adamantium onto someone would be to super heat it, than the extreme heat of plasma would definitely be able to do this. 
    Bob-A-Ferret

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94  Edited By Bob-A-Ferret

I disagree with you as I have several references of it as being plasma in my collection. So Agree to disagree. Regardless this thread is about lightsabers not cyclops so move on. the point is valid regardless of how you wan to look at it.

SUNMAN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95  Edited By SUNMAN
    Bob-A-Ferret said:
    "I disagree with you as I have several references of it as being plasma in my collection. So Agree to disagree. Regardless this thread is about lightsabers not cyclops so move on. the point is valid regardless of how you wan to look at it.
    "
    could you post a scan or give me a link, because I am almost certain scotts blasts admit no heat.
    Erik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96  Edited By Erik

Well I gave you a Marvel reference that refutes your theory on Cyclops' optic blasts. 

Bob-A-Ferret

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97  Edited By Bob-A-Ferret

I have to say I am amazed at how you find yourself to be the ultimate authority on cyclops visor and blasts.
    Do any of you work for marvel or have ever worked for them? (I have)
    Or have you just decided that no one can differ in opinion?
    I amazed at your audacity and rudeness. 

I still disagree as I have several comics that refer to cyclops blasts being plasma.  When I worked at at Marvel it was not decided what it actually was made of. Then again at that time wolverines claws where still implants not natural bone.  But the science in comics is infallible and a constant, so you opinions may be valid at one point or in some point to come. But I disagree with you. You are entitled to your opinions. And actually I will make the note that Sinister's skin boils after being blasted by Cyclop's blast that is usually a sign of heat and there is more references like that if you care to look.  He has also cauterized a wound on more than one occasion but concusive force does that right? And again this is not about Cyclops blast this is suppose to be about light sabers and adamantium. But you care to bicker more than discuss.

SUNMAN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98  Edited By SUNMAN
    Bob-A-Ferret said:
    "I have to say I am amazed at how you find yourself to be the ultimate authority on cyclops visor and blasts.
    Do any of you work for marvel or have ever worked for them? (I have)
    Or have you just decided that no one can differ in opinion?
    I amazed at your audacity and rudeness. 

I still disagree as I have several comics that refer to cyclops blasts being plasma.  When I worked at at Marvel it was not decided what it actually was made of. Then again at that time wolverines claws where still implants not natural bone.  But the science in comics is infallible and a constant, so you opinions may be valid at one point or in some point to come. But I disagree with you. You are entitled to your opinions. And actually I will make the note that Sinister's skin boils after being blasted by Cyclop's blast that is usually a sign of heat and there is more references like that if you care to look.  He has also cauterized a wound on more than one occasion but concusive force does that right? And again this is not about Cyclops blast this is suppose to be about light sabers and adamantium. But you care to bicker more than discuss.
    "
    thats  the frictional force from the blast that causes the thermal energy. And Sinister has a weird biology so I am not counting that.

Also who is being rude. No need to try and get high and mighty here.
    erik said:
    "Well I gave you a Marvel reference that refutes your theory on Cyclops' optic blasts. "
    your not talking to me right?
    kuchiku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99  Edited By kuchiku

Ok first a Lightsaber is just a super hot beam that burns anything it touches sooooo that means that adamantium would just go straight through a lightsaber because its indestructibe, so Adamantium wins.

BTW wayyyy old thread

SUNMAN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100  Edited By SUNMAN
    kuchiku said:
    "Ok first a Lightsaber is just a super hot beam that burns anything it touches sooooo that means that adamantium would just go straight through a lightsaber because its indestructibe, so Adamantium wins.

BTW wayyyy old thread
    "
    yea but according to and only according to the X-2 movie. When heated Adamantium melts/becomes liquid.  The movie said Adamantium was virtually indestructible but not indestructible. In the comic universe to my knowledge Adamantium is indestructible. But going by the movie I would say a light-saber should be at least able to melt if not cut adamantium.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.