Adamantium can it be melted?

#1 Posted by weapon x badazz (638 posts) - - Show Bio

Adamantium is a metal right and havent all or most metals have a melting point all be it a very high 1? It was in a liquid form before it got into Logans body so it must have been heated up? my point is that can any 1 say the Human torch melt Wolverines bones or Adamantium itself? He can emit exceedingly high temperatures especially if he went nova or any 1 else with fire powers. Any thoughts

#2 Posted by Static Shock (47329 posts) - - Show Bio

Depends on what adamantium's melting point is. I'm sure Human Torch could reach it.

#3 Posted by Hawk (15833 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes.

#4 Posted by -Eclipse- (7583 posts) - - Show Bio

It's just a normal metal, so yeah, I would've thought that it CAN melt, it just has an insanely high melting point.

A better question: Can Uru (the stuff that makes up Mjolnir, Thor's hammer) be melted?
#5 Posted by Hawk (15833 posts) - - Show Bio
-Eclipse- said:
It's just a normal metal, so yeah, I would've thought that it CAN melt, it just has an insanely high ... [more]
That is a better question...I say yes. They had to forge it into a hammer and write on it....or Axe if we are talking ultimate.
#6 Posted by weapon x badazz (638 posts) - - Show Bio
-Eclipse- said:
It's just a normal metal, so yeah, I would've thought that it CAN melt, it just has an insanely high ... [more]

Well am guessin that has some magical elements in it so am not sure, prolly not imo tho
#7 Posted by Hawk (15833 posts) - - Show Bio

What about Nth?

#8 Posted by jloneblackheart (5507 posts) - - Show Bio

I've heard that adamantium comes in a liquid state and once hardened it cannot be melted

I don't think Uru can be melted, it is magical after all and magic kind of negates science

#9 Posted by pixelized (62882 posts) - - Show Bio

Melter could do it

#10 Posted by -Eclipse- (7583 posts) - - Show Bio

Taken from ComicVine:

Uru - Uru is a metal that is highly immalleable.It often require some extreme methods to forged it(i.e.heart of a star,magical enchanment).

So I guess it CAN be melted... You just need to use the heart of a star...

Got no idea about Nth...
#11 Posted by SUNMAN (7228 posts) - - Show Bio

realistically yes, if we are talking in terms of actual science.    

However, in comics it is totally up to the writer. The movie versions already confirmed it had to be melted at extremely hot temperatures, while I think the comic or animated versions have yet to confirm this.
#12 Posted by the creator (8561 posts) - - Show Bio

Adamantium

For eight minutes after the resins are mixed, the Adamantium can be molded into a particular shape as long as it is kept at a temperature of 1,500 degrees Fahrenheit. After this brief period the process of creating Adamantium is completed. The extremely stable molecular structure of the Adamantium prevents it from being molded further, even if the temperature remains high enough to keep it in liquefied form. Only a device celled a Molecular Rearranger can alter the form of hardened Adamantium.
Adamantium is virtually indestructible. Shields made out of it have resisted nuclear explosions before (the temperature of which can significantly exceed the maximum output of the Human Torch by a long way).
This entry is from the OHOTMU entry for Firelord: By the slightest manifestation of his stellar powers, he can burn through any Earthly substance (with the exception of Adamantium).
Firelord can reach the temperature of a star, which is very much higher than that of the Torch and so at maximum output he might be able to burn through.

Uru
The metal begins as an ore that is smelted (typically by the Dwarves) and turned into the metal that is forged in to it's final form before being enchanted.
The metal before enchantment must have a melting point (although this might be higher than most earthly metals) as it has been shown to undergo smelting.
Uru (as the refined metal) appears to be difficult to work and forge (appearently having poor malleability).
When it is enchanted, this appears to reinforce the durability of the object dramatically as the metal enhances enchantments placed on it. This property is so great that Thor's hammer, Mjolnir, after being enchanted by Odin is at least as hard as Capt America's shield (which in turn is harder than True Adamantium). Thor's hammer has survived exposure to temperatures of stars, nuclear explosions and has blocked attacks from Firelord. Even Uru enchanted to this level can still be melted (as it can also be physically damaged) but the temperatures would appear to be even greater than that for melting True Adamantium.

Nth
Although exceptionally durable, the metal is shown in a huge number of forms which would suggest that the metal is readily converted in to these forms under the proper conditions. We have seen Silver Scarab's Nth metal suit take laser fire without damage so I would think that this metal also has a very high melting point, potentially far beyond that of earthly metals.

#13 Posted by weapon x badazz (638 posts) - - Show Bio
the creator said:
AdamantiumFor eight minutes after the resins are mixed, the Adamantium can be molded into a particular shape as long as ... [more]

Cheers bud for tht summarisation
#14 Posted by whosthechamp (2 posts) - - Show Bio

Hey guys, i found this topic due to my own curiosity, and I have to thank "thecreator" for his detailed explanation of the melting level which is held by adamantium, Uru and Nth. Great job. 

Just thought you guys would like to know that although it can't be MELTED, it can be destabilized by antarctic vibranium.  

(From wikipedia:) 

Antarctic variety

Better known as Anti-Metal, this isotope is native to the artificially created Antarctic jungle known as the Savage Land. Unlike the vibranium of Wakanda that absorbs vibrations, it produces vibrations. When this form of vibranium is found in sufficient quantities, these vibrations produce a specific wavelength that breaks down the molecular bonds in other metals resulting in their liquefaction. This effect extends to the otherwise indestructible metal known as adamantium. If huge quantities of anti-metal were gathered together and accumulated, the vibrations given off by the entire mass would increase exponentially as more was added. Theoretically, if the enormous mound of Wakandan vibranium were composed of anti-metal instead, the resulting vibrations would liquefy metals throughout Africa and possibly beyond. Anti-Metal is also known for being able to become an artificial and unstable form of the Wakandan variety of vibranium through certain particle bombardments on it. Supposedly the opposite is also true, as a fraction of the sacred mound of Wakandan vibranium was apparently converted to Antarctic vibranium by particle bombardment.   

So, if any of you were just looking for a way to destroy it, now you have one.
#15 Posted by kore (373 posts) - - Show Bio

Apparently Magneto can damage Adamantium.

#16 Posted by Bobby X (1141 posts) - - Show Bio

I've seen Havok melt down a large adamntium door down with his plasma with some effort. 
This was in the Mutant X series so it was an alternate Earth, but the properties of adamantium should be the same there.
#17 Posted by tensor (4157 posts) - - Show Bio

yes

#18 Posted by MKF30 (11635 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes, but I don't believe it can once it's hardened...at least that's what Striker said in the movies...

#19 Posted by Reactor (2516 posts) - - Show Bio

Theoretically, there is no doubt a temperature where Adamantium becomes incinerated. I doubt it could withstand literally being placed in the core of a blue giant star, or a supernova. But this is comic universe, and they tend to "soften" reality.

#20 Posted by MKF30 (11635 posts) - - Show Bio

Yellow Sun too, ridiculously hot realistically speaking but like you said...comics tend to be "out there" at times...since it is fiction afterall.

#21 Posted by They Killed Cap! (2243 posts) - - Show Bio
@Static Shock:  

When Wolverine went after Nitro his whole body was incinerated in their fight. All that was left was the addy. The question is how hot was that.  

I think Torch gets hotter than that, but the addy did survive that encounter.
#22 Posted by Bathory1313 (521 posts) - - Show Bio
@Static Shock said:
" Depends on what adamantium's melting point is. I'm sure Human Torch could reach it. "
Actually I don't think Human Tourch can reach it.. he went Nova on Ultron, and didn't melt the body, but something inside went pop!
#23 Posted by Edamame (28075 posts) - - Show Bio
@the creator said:
"

Adamantium

For eight minutes after the resins are mixed, the Adamantium can be molded into a particular shape as long as it is kept at a temperature of 1,500 degrees Fahrenheit. After this brief period the process of creating Adamantium is completed. The extremely stable molecular structure of the Adamantium prevents it from being molded further, even if the temperature remains high enough to keep it in liquefied form. Only a device celled a Molecular Rearranger can alter the form of hardened Adamantium.
Adamantium is virtually indestructible. Shields made out of it have resisted nuclear explosions before (the temperature of which can significantly exceed the maximum output of the Human Torch by a long way).
This entry is from the OHOTMU entry for Firelord: By the slightest manifestation of his stellar powers, he can burn through any Earthly substance (with the exception of Adamantium).
Firelord can reach the temperature of a star, which is very much higher than that of the Torch and so at maximum output he might be able to burn through.

Uru
The metal begins as an ore that is smelted (typically by the Dwarves) and turned into the metal that is forged in to it's final form before being enchanted.u,
The metal before enchantment must have a melting point (although this might be higher than most earthly metals) as it has been shown to undergo smelting.
Uru (as the refined metal) appears to be difficult to work and forge (appearently having poor malleability).
When it is enchanted, this appears to reinforce the durability of the object dramatically as the metal enhances enchantments placed on it. This property is so great that Thor's hammer, Mjolnir, after being enchanted by Odin is at least as hard as Capt America's shield (which in turn is harder than True Adamantium). Thor's hammer has survived exposure to temperatures of stars, nuclear explosions and has blocked attacks from Firelord. Even Uru enchanted to this level can still be melted (as it can also be physically damaged) but the temperatures would appear to be even greater than that for melting True Adamantium.

Nth
Although exceptionally durable, the metal is shown in a huge number of forms which would suggest that the metal is readily converted in to these forms under the proper conditions. We have seen Silver Scarab's Nth metal suit take laser fire without damage so I would think that this metal also has a very high melting point, potentially far beyond that of earthly metals.

"
Thank you, sir.
#24 Posted by karrob (4279 posts) - - Show Bio
@the creator said:
"

Adamantium

Uru
The metal begins as an ore that is smelted (typically by the Dwarves) and turned into the metal that is forged in to it's final form before being enchanted.

Nth

"
Yep!
#25 Posted by White Mage (18740 posts) - - Show Bio
@weapon x badazz said:
"Adamantium is a metal right and havent all or most metals have a melting point all be it a very high 1? It was in a liquid form before it got into Logans body so it must have been heated up? my point is that can any 1 say the Human torch melt Wolverines bones or Adamantium itself? He can emit exceedingly high temperatures especially if he went nova or any 1 else with fire powers. Any thoughts "

I dunno.  Let's ask Scarlet Witch............
#26 Posted by johnnie619 (199 posts) - - Show Bio

in th ecomics and movies as MKF30 said once it sets thats it stryker said somthing about it being stuck with it once it cools so if that raind true in the comics seeing logan beaing blown up left right and center with his bones still shiming it seems that it cant or at least has a  very very very.......... high melting point
#27 Posted by Paracelsus (1595 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes, it could probabbly be melted but it would require heat hotter than the core of the Sun to do so I think! 

Terry
#28 Edited by MadPseudoscientist (27 posts) - - Show Bio

You can mix the resins and add galium, indium, and other metals to lower the melting point of freshly made adamantuim at the expense of quality. Freezing point depression. The resulting solution will have 1/10 the quality of adamantium and less than a quarter of it will be adamantium. It will have a melting point of 95 degrees fahrenheit and might only be molded for six to thirty minutes. After that, it might become really hard to mold even in it's liquid form. Also after the initial time, the melting point Adamantium and solutions with adamantium tend to rise dramatically. With the process I described here, anyone can have a skeletal structure that is at least as strong as steel and will have a high probability of surviving the process (assuming you have a slightly higher healing factor than normal). Your bones will most likely retain normal functions with this new process.
#29 Posted by vyzaal (1 posts) - - Show Bio

It was in liquid form before it was bonded into the wolveriene's bones. But the scientist guy also said that once solidified it becomes indestructible. So i think it cannot be melted.

#30 Edited by SirNickTheEpic (589 posts) - - Show Bio

@bathory1313:

I know this was 3 years ago and I apologise but I have to speak my mind... johnny can achieve hotter if he really had to his current form would melt adamantuim

#31 Posted by VoraciousSouls (168 posts) - - Show Bio

no he can't, in Secret Wars he went super nova on Ultron and didn't do anything to his adamantium shell.

Also, Wolverine has been hit with nukes, scorched by Pyro, and blasted by a sentinel, each time it stripped all the flesh off his bones, but his Adamantium was never melted.

#32 Edited by SirNickTheEpic (589 posts) - - Show Bio

@voracioussouls: i said current johnny. his most current he has no powers. but a while back before he died, he could probably do it but exhaust himself

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.