Follow

Adam Warlock

Character » Adam Warlock appears in 668 issues.

Adam Warlock is a synthetic being created by human scientists named "The Enclave" to become their ideal template for a new race of humans who would rule the Earth. However, their creation, called "Him," rebelled, turned against them, and went on to become Adam Warlock.

Is Adam Warlock Blasphemous ?

Avatar image for kid_omega_prime
    Kid_Omega_Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Kid_Omega_Prime

Ok I would like to talk about something serious. Is Adam Warlock Blasphemous ? I was doing some looking up on him and I found this. 1) His real name Is Him and the word him is always referd to Jesus. 2) Adam departs to go counter earth and stop the Man-Beast, a wolf that the High Evolutionary had genetically modified into a humanoid form. After fighting the Man-Beast several times, he was ultimately defeated, crucified and left to die by the Man-Beast and his minions, in turn dying for the sins of the residents of Counter Earth. So any thought on that ?

biggkeem89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By biggkeem89

He's just an analogy for Jesus, not blasphemous. Many characters are: Aslan, Gandalf, even Superman at times

BatWatch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 238

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By BatWatch

I've never heard of the concept of Him referring to God. Where did you get that from?

Other than that, I would say that the story of Adam Warlock is definitely intended to mimic the events of the life of Jesus, but that story has been copied hundreds of times. The end of the Matrix Trilogy for one example. Whether that counts as blasphemy or not is your judgment call.

Onemoreposter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Onemoreposter

@Kid_Omega_Prime: Absolutely. Also may I direct you to that fact that not only is it blasphemy to name the character HIM, but the embodiment of everything good in Him once separated into its own entity and went by the moniker "Goddess". In fact the whole of Marvel comics is pretty blasphemous. Think of all the times they talk about "Gods" and "the one above all" but have you have heard them mention Jesus? Not often. In fact, the most prominent "Son of God" at Marvel is Thor. Thats right, Marvel editors place more importance on a pagan thunder god than Jesus Christ. If I were you friend I'd try to avoid comic books all together. Every dollar spent on this abominable smut is just one more step towards the devils doorway.

Hope this helped and god bless!

Avatar image for majinblackheart
    MajinBlackheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 58

User Lists: 7

#5  Edited By MajinBlackheart  Moderator

1. No. He's an homage. He was created to be the perfect human (similar to what most believe Jesus to be). Jesus was not the only person ever crucified either. His story is definitely inspired by and parallel to Jesus, but he is not the son of God.

2. Marvel doesn't use Jesus because it would alienate readers of other religions and/or upset Christians by misusing their religion (i.e. actual blasphemy).

3. It's only blasphemy if it's a religion you believe in and that's how you want to interpret it.

@Onemoreposter: If you dislike comics so much, why are you even here?

Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#6  Edited By Billy Batson

@jloneblackheart:

He's joking? :p
    BB

MajinBlackheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By MajinBlackheart  Moderator

@Billy Batson: Seems half real, half fake. Can't really tell... Usually I count on italics for sarcasm.

Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Billy Batson

@jloneblackheart:

Might be a problem when talking to morph or me :p
    Well he did use italics, bold and quotation marks.
    BB

Andromeda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Andromeda

Morph is ALWAYS sarcastic, though.

MajinBlackheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By MajinBlackheart  Moderator

@Billy Batson: You've been around long enough for me to know to not take you seriously.

ragdollpurps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11  Edited By ragdollpurps

@Andromeda_ said:

Morph is ALWAYS sarcastic, though.

...Lol, not really.

Nova`Prime`

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Nova`Prime`

Simple answer... no.

Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Billy Batson

@jloneblackheart:

BB

Onemoreposter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Onemoreposter

@jloneblackheart said:

1. No. He's an homage. He was created to be the perfect human (similar to what most believe Jesus to be). Jesus was not the only person ever crucified either. His story is definitely inspired by and parallel to Jesus, but he is not the son of God.

2. Marvel doesn't use Jesus because it would alienate readers of other religions and/or upset Christians by misusing their religion (i.e. actual blasphemy).

3. It's only blasphemy if it's a religion you believe in and that's how you want to interpret it.

@Onemoreposter: If you dislike comics so much, why are you even here?

I'm here to spread the good word of course!

I'm a True Believer and not the kind Satan Le..I mean Stan Lee is talking about.

Avatar image for the_man_of_yesteryear
    The Man of Yesteryear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Heathens!

kamionero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#16  Edited By kamionero

Adam Warlock is a cosmic being with quantum powers. Jesus multiplies bread. Adam Warlock wins.

Also, I dont think Jesus has a purple counterpart with a BITCHING white 'fro.

Hunter114

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#17  Edited By Hunter114

It all depends on the degree at which you believe something to be blasphemous... I mean if it speaks out against God, or the word of God, or if it uses the name of God "in vain" then it's blasphemy, but there are a lot of ways that can be interpreted...

Avatar image for kid_omega_prime
    Kid_Omega_Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Kid_Omega_Prime

So what everybody is trying to say... Its a matter of oppinion basicly.

whirlwind6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By whirlwind6

I'm a christian, and I like Adam Warlock being kind of the Marvel Universe's version of Jesus!!! If you think making a character a stand in for Jesus is wrong, then you must be against some of the great works of literature: The Idiot, Billy Bud, and The Grapes of Wrath (written by Fyodor Dostoevsky, Herman Melville, and John Steinback) (Two of them were most likely Christians themselves...) all feature Characters meant to stand in for Jesus as main characters!!!

infonation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By infonation

@whirlwind6: I've noticed that in a LOT of stories, Superman and Darkseid have a relationship similar to that of Jesus and Satan. Dr. Strnage may not be Jesus but he was a doctor and in a way he still is. So he heals the sick and wounded even after his hans got messed up but also fights the Dread Dormammu who once appeared to look much like a human but nowadays looks like an evil version of the Human Torch! So he's a flame-faced monster who torments someone who tries to heal the sick and injured all the time... sound familiar? And don't get me started on the Silver Surfer's attitude towards Mephisto! Let's just say it's not exactly subtle... Martian Manhunter has a "Cain and Able" like relationship with his brother. The Hulk and the Abomination could say the same, MANY heroes could! Captain America has the Red Skull, Iron Man has Titainium Man, She Hulk has Titainia, Thor has Loki, Batman has the Joker, Nightwing has Deathstroke, the Flash has Proffesor Zoom, Green Lantern has Sinestro, Hawkman has Shadowtheif, Nick Fury has Baron Strucker, Cyclops has Mr. Sinister, Wolverine has Sabertooth, Spider-Man has the Scorpion (PLEASE don't laugh, once upon a time the Scorpion didn't need an alien suit to make him awesome!) Mr. Fantastic has Dr. Doom, Aquaman has his own brother!

mimic12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By mimic12

I did some resesch on this topic to. "Upon his rebirth, Him was renamed as Adam Warlock by the High Evolutionary, who became a guiding force in the life of the reborn Godling. The High Evolutionary gave Warlock purpose, direction, and the vampiric Soul Gem. Soon afterwards, Warlock journeyed to the planet called Counter Earth, an experiment of the High-Evolutionary's that had recently gone awry. Counter-Earth had been an attempt to create a utopian society, and it had been so until its contamination by the evil Man-Beast. Warlock battled the cunning creature to no avail, until he formed a somewhat unusual and narcissistic plan. Warlock set out to become the one, true God of Counter Earth. To do this he crucified himself and died, only to rise from his resurrection cocoon 3 days later. His rash gamble worked, and Counter-Earth was saved (years later, the planet would fall to the influence of another."

Kangconquers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

C.S. Lewis, one of the most respected Christian apologists of the 20th century, used Christ analogs in his literature.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.