Follow

Adam Strange

Character » Adam Strange appears in 817 issues.

A sci-fi character that started during the 50s has held true to the traditions of the typical sci-fi hero archetype with a love story. Adam Strange is also Life's thinker of the Aberrant Six.

The Head Fin

RazzaTazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1887

User Lists: 79

Edited By RazzaTazz

One of my first major projects on this website was to create a page for the Wonder Women of History about the backup feature in golden age Wonder Woman comics which chronicled some of the achievements of famous women throughout history.  As I was recently looking for the first appearance of Space Cabbie in "Mystery in Space" (yes, I have a weird obsession with the character) I ran across a similar backup feature called Giants of the Telescope.  This one detailed the accomplishments of famous astronomers (though none were women but there were some female astronomers in Wonder Women of History).  For those that know me, you know that I like science and so with near compulsiveness I set off to document these feature as much as possible.  At the same time this gave me a sort of crash course in Mystery in Space, a series which has been sitting in my father's comic book collection but one which I never looked at.  As opposed to the hard science of the famous astronomers instead there were series within the series featuring such names as the Knights of the Galaxy and Space Ranger in completely soft science settings.  One of the longer running characters in the series was Adam Strange.  

I also can not stress enough how much cooler Alanna (his wife) looks.  
     I also can not stress enough how much cooler Alanna (his wife) looks.  
    I of course knew the character before, but having to look through 50 or so issues with him in it reinforced to me how stupid it looks to have a fin on your helmet (incidentally the Rocketeer does the same thing.)  I am not sure how it would really help with flight.  First of all I would think when flying that you would need to be looking down most of the time so you actually knew where you were going.  Secondly, I don't see how breaking up air resistance around the head is going to do much when a bunch of air is getting sucked into the jet pack on your back (again also applying to the Rocketeer.)  Yet through all the character re-designs that other people have had Adam still has the dorky looking fin on his head.    
    She seems to doing all right without a head fin, despite their present predicament.   
    She seems to doing all right without a head fin, despite their present predicament.   
    xerox_kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 22

#1  Edited By xerox_kitty

I think it's some sort of kitsch idea of aerodynamics. As if in the 50's there was the idea that moving the head-fin would help direct you in flight... but that would put too much pressure on the neck ;)

I like it for nostalgia value. It's quirky & very quaint in a B-Movie way. But that is DEFINITELY one suit in need of a revamp ;)

Avatar image for gundamheavyarms
    GundamHeavyarms

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By GundamHeavyarms

You have to understand that characters like Adam Strange are modeled after old school science fiction characters like john carter, buck rogers, and flash gordon.  The outfit, including the headfin says, "adventuring spaceman."  His costume was designed to look as out there as possible.  Same way as the rocketeer.  Does it help him fly, no, if anything the headfin would probably increase drag slowing him down.  Yes, it is dorky, it makes about as much sense as wearing a scarf while riding a motorcycle but some things just are the way they are.

Avatar image for emperor_gonzo_noir
    Emperor Gonzo Noir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 17

I love the headfin. It's so bad. 
    InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By InnerVenom123
    @Emperor Gonzo Noir said:
    EPIC REFERENCE IS EPIC. 
    Avatar image for ryu_talkative_batman
    ryu_talkative_batman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Congrats on getting featured, you deserve it, good article

Nova`Prime`

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Nova`Prime`

Definitely a throw back to the classic golden age of scifi adventure heroes.

MrSeaman70

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By MrSeaman70

Only the Star Wars clone troopers can make the fins look cool and bad @$$ :D 

Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#8  Edited By Billy Batson

I like the fin... 

BB

Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
    Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 140

#9  Edited By Avenging-X-Bolt

you cant take away Adams headfin    its iconic (kinda) and it works for him. 

fodigg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#10  Edited By fodigg

I love the headfin. Very ray-gun gothic.

thechessclub

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#11  Edited By thechessclub

@xerox-kitty said:

I think it's some sort of kitsch idea of aerodynamics. As if in the 50's there was the idea that moving the head-fin would help direct you in flight... but that would put too much pressure on the neck ;)

I like it for nostalgia value. It's quirky & very quaint in a B-Movie way. But that is DEFINITELY one suit in need of a revamp ;)

This.

redbadgered

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I first encountered Strange in Justice League in the early 70's. I was immediately intrigued. The head fin was cool...to a ten year old and I was already all about the characters from the golden age, several of whom had head fins. Starman, Crimson Avenger, the Atom, to name a few, all sported similar and all seemed way cooler than the moderne characters.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.