DC Announces New ACTION COMICS Creative Team

• 119 results
#101 Posted by sethysquare (3843 posts) - - Show Bio

@Outside_85 said:

@sethysquare: Thing is Perez handed in his script and told them not to ask him to change anything or tell him about any changes they made to it at the time he mentioned it he hadn't read the finished book, so where Perez stops and committee starts is hard to tell...but I figure it's mostly the committee.

yeah but so what.

Even if he didn't know what aspect of Superman he can touch on, the LEAST he could do, is set up a great villain. It doesn't take any backstory to create a good recurring villain that would be Superman's greatest foe.

So no excuses for him. It also didn't helped that he has written it horribly. Issue one already had this overly compressed feel and the layouts are horrible. Perez is a great artist and his own layouts can only be drawn with his art. The only saving grace was issue 5 & 6's art with Nicola Scott.

If you can't write a good story, don't blame it on editorial. He had a 6 month's worth of chances.

#102 Posted by ComicMan24 (147042 posts) - - Show Bio

@SandMan_: lol What's that supposed to mean?

#103 Posted by Outside_85 (8179 posts) - - Show Bio

@sethysquare said:

If you can't write a good story, don't blame it on editorial. He had a 6 month's worth of chances.

Wrong, you ca blame DC's editorial monkey cage for a lot of rubbish stories over the years and its only gotten worse with time.

#104 Posted by sethysquare (3843 posts) - - Show Bio

@Outside_85 said:

@sethysquare said:

Wrong, you ca blame DC's editorial monkey cage for a lot of rubbish stories over the years and its only gotten worse with time.

I know you have huge love for Perez, but he screwed up big time. Everyone can go around and blame editorial for anything.

As for Superman, which you probably didn't even read, it was terrible. You can be left in an editorial cage, but no one forced him to write it the way he did. Like I said, the least he could do is create a good villain. He didn't even do that. that is the LEAST he could do and he screwed it up.

At least Giffens and Jurgens came in being placed in the same boat Perez was in. They left out a huge chunk of his back story, they focused mainly on the present and they tried to do more with the supporting characters and the villain.

However mediocre their run is, they gave Helspont and Superman a good show down. They created an interesting enough female villain (although not very impressive) they did managed to leave the doors open and allow for more future encounters. Admittedly, after Giffens left, it went down the hill, but still, they had a much better run than perez did. Coupled with the fact that they couldn't tell much since lots weren't revealed yet in Action Comics. So don't go blaming editorial for everything.

Perez have written some good stories before, he screwed up big time on Superman. move on. Come back in few years and tell a better Superman story.

(not sure how much you actually know since you don't read actually Superman) :P

#105 Posted by Outside_85 (8179 posts) - - Show Bio

@sethysquare: I read a few bits in hopes that what Morrison was doing with his past would influence what Perez was doing with his present...but as I since learned, Perez didnt even know Morrison was writing Action Comics or that the Kents were dead. I get why Perez couldn't do much of anything; because he was in risk of ending up contradicting whatever Morrison was doing with Superman's past. In essence he was being asked to write a story within the parameters set by another writer who hadn't event written them yet. So pardon me, yes, I will blame DC's editors for screwing Perez up on this one. Btw, I disagree with Talking-Head Helspot being a good appearance, he jabbered a whole lot and even Superman was 'come on get to the point' before they finally started doing something...and lo and behold they continued along that line when the skull faced bunny reappeared.

#106 Posted by modunhanul (403 posts) - - Show Bio

@The_Tree: Thank you!

#107 Posted by sethysquare (3843 posts) - - Show Bio

@Outside_85: pardon me if i find it hard to believe that u are reading much of superman or action comics. lol. you never discuss at any of the forums with superman which is understandable cos u dun like superman anyways.

I'm just annoyed that you are defending perez over giffens and jurgens which had a much much better run than perez.

#108 Posted by Outside_85 (8179 posts) - - Show Bio

@sethysquare: Just because I don't discuss the books doesn't mean I don't read them. As for Perez, I have a lot of faith in the man and he has proven he can made stuff interesting if he is allowed to, but from his own explanation I understand he wasn't with Superman, there were very strict guide lines he had to follow. I can give you an example of how this works; during Legion of 3 Worlds Perez worked with Geoff Johns who at one pointed wanted a 'Perez splashpage' (one of those huge everyone in one shot pages) in the book and came to George with a printed page or two describing what he wanted and George just went "Dude, wth is this?" when he saw the description, because he cant work with overly detailed descriptions like the one Johns came with (since he thought George needed that kind of thing). So he put the page aside and told Johns: "If you want a splashpage with everyone on it, just say so and trust me." Johns trusted him with the splashpages, DC didn't trust him with Superman.

#109 Posted by sethysquare (3843 posts) - - Show Bio

@Outside_85 said:

@sethysquare: Just because I don't discuss the books doesn't mean I don't read them. As for Perez, I have a lot of faith in the man and he has proven he can made stuff interesting if he is allowed to, but from his own explanation I understand he wasn't with Superman, there were very strict guide lines he had to follow. I can give you an example of how this works; during Legion of 3 Worlds Perez worked with Geoff Johns who at one pointed wanted a 'Perez splashpage' (one of those huge everyone in one shot pages) in the book and came to George with a printed page or two describing what he wanted and George just went "Dude, wth is this?" when he saw the description, because he cant work with overly detailed descriptions like the one Johns came with (since he thought George needed that kind of thing). So he put the page aside and told Johns: "If you want a splashpage with everyone on it, just say so and trust me." Johns trusted him with the splashpages, DC didn't trust him with Superman.

I have never said Perez is a bad artist. I even mentioned that he had written several good stories in the past. If you read my post you would know that Ive defended Perez art on WF.

But as a writer you need to work within the constraints on what was given. Sure that might have limited what he was able to do but it doesnt mean that its an excuse for writting a book with bad dialogues and over written content. Ultimately it was plainly disappointing coupled with the fact that Giffens was able to wrte a better Superman story given the constraints.

I would still look forward to Perez next project but he did screw up Superman and I'm not denying that.

#110 Posted by Outside_85 (8179 posts) - - Show Bio

@sethysquare: You mention him having to work within constraints...the problem was that no one could tell him what those constraints were because Morrison hadn't written them yet, it's like being asked to play a ballgame with only known the very basics of the rules you are to play after.

#111 Posted by sethysquare (3843 posts) - - Show Bio

@Outside_85: He was told the constraints. He can't write anything about Supe's backstory.

He can set up the story without talking about the backstory and focusing on daily planet, his relationship with lois, a new villain and supergirl.

He did all those, just very terribly.

He manage to make none of us care about any of the new daily planet supporting cast. Heather Kelley, Izzy whatever, boring!

He made no use of all the supporting characters. He could've mad Morgan Edge a little more interesting and back to being someone who would eventually betray supes.

He manage to NOT create a storyline that could be further explored. Sure, he added in that horn thing whatever it is, but if not for Scott, it would've been forgotten.

He created a new villain, that could've been such a strong and powerful one that would come back to haunt Supes for the rest of his life. But instead, it became just a stupid parasite or whatever it is that disintegrated.

The only interesting thing about his run was that scene that Lois helped Supes defeat the enemy he can't see.

I could've had a much more interesting plot than what he had written. For one, I would've kept the villain tangible and make him sorta related and tagged to supes or one of his supporting cast and let him escape then open a window to come back again.

Secondly. I would've made Heather Kelley a much more interesting character. Instead of being "possessed" by the alien, I would've at least made her a willing party to being "possessed" and make her this sorta anti hero character, working in the daily planet.

Thirdly, I would've featured more of Superman's supporting characters like Steve Lombard, Bibbo Bibowski, Cat Grant and Dan Turpin. He could still create new characters, but leave in the old ones as well.

Lastly, I would've at least revamp one of his obscure villain as a supporting character or villain. One that probably Morrison isn't even using. Maybe even someone like Livewire, Bloodsport or Amazing Grace or Neutron.

#112 Posted by Outside_85 (8179 posts) - - Show Bio

@sethysquare: Like I said, its pretty damn hard to write a story when you dont know which characters are dead or alive, which are in space and which haven't even been born yet.

#113 Posted by Twentyfive (2843 posts) - - Show Bio

It is a good week to be a Superman fan. A new creative team on Action, and Scott Snyder handling writing duties on a Superman book? File me under the HYPED section.

#114 Posted by sethysquare (3843 posts) - - Show Bio

@Outside_85: yes its hard. but he could've done much better.

#115 Posted by RedHush1 (91 posts) - - Show Bio

Very close to the one that he wore in Superman #0

#116 Posted by Capitão Sicron (16 posts) - - Show Bio

Well... I don't understand the black suit too...

How about it?

#117 Posted by SmoothJammin (2332 posts) - - Show Bio

Tony Daniel's art is always a pleasure to look at

#118 Posted by Cooke76 (74 posts) - - Show Bio

@Lvenger said:

@Cooke76: Hmm I guess. But Superman hasn't even been remotely good. The writing's been vile and lack luster. Perez and Giffen are capable of so much better yet they didn't deliver here.

I'll have to take your word for it. Haven't been reading it, myself. That said, you gotta admit, it kinda tied their hands a bit there.

#119 Posted by Lvenger (18465 posts) - - Show Bio

@Cooke76 said:

@Lvenger said:

@Cooke76: Hmm I guess. But Superman hasn't even been remotely good. The writing's been vile and lack luster. Perez and Giffen are capable of so much better yet they didn't deliver here.

I'll have to take your word for it. Haven't been reading it, myself. That said, you gotta admit, it kinda tied their hands a bit there.

It's apparently better now Lobdell's the writer. But not great yet.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.