gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck

The Good

Last issue we caught up with Lana Lang and witnessed a couple sticky situations she found herself in. As an electrical engineer, she is currently working with a non-profit organization in Venezuela. Too bad a giant monster just crawled up from beneath the surface to terrorize everyone.

It's clear from the cover that, somehow, Superman will end up here to help out. You might wonder why or how Superman would know Lana was in trouble halfway around the world but there is a reasonable explanation for their reunion and it works. Superman fighting a giant beast might not seem overly flashy but it does allow him to use his strength and abilities rather than have to hold back.

Greg Pak makes this more than just Superman fighting giant monster. He shares another moment from Clark's past that reminds us where he came from and what it must have been like discovering his developing powers. The interactions with Lana are a plus as it's great to see the familiarity these two share. Pak also introduces another threat to the mix that will further complicate things down the line. Amidst all the action, there is an underlining look at Superman's thought process as he is forced to make a tough decision.

I've really gotten used to Aaron Kuder's art already. This is only his second issue (fifth if you count the three Villains Month issues) and he seems to be right at home already. Pak and Kuder are making a great pairing on this title.

The Bad

On the surface this appears to mainly be Superman vs a giant monster. This issue does set up a few upcoming plot points and is split between the action and set up. You do get a sense that things will kick into gear next issue.

I am digging Kuder's art but a couple times it felt as if Superman was a little older than he's supposed to be in the New 52.

The Verdict

Greg Pak delivers a lot of action as we see more of Lana Lang in Superman's life. Fighting a big beast allows Superman to cut loose a little. It's not just non-stop action as we are introduced to some new elements as well as get a chance to see Superman struggle with the decisions of his action when it comes to saving multiple lives. Aaron Kuder doesn't miss a beat and keeps up with the action in Pak's script with ease. Pak is setting up a bigger story and you'll want to be on board to see what's coming up.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

Godzilla reference

UltimateSMfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I really enjoyed this issue. Set up some good stuff. I'm liking how Pak is writing Superman.

dondave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really enjoyed this issue. Set up some good stuff. I'm liking how Pak is writing Superman.

anandak47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Awesome issue. Cant wait for the next issue to arrive.

SanoHibiki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think that Kuder’s art improved a little since the last issue, but faces still need some more work IMO. And Supes’ chest plate looked a little different in this issue. About the rest -

@dondave said:

@ultimatesmfan said:

Al_capOWN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

stopped reading action comics in issue 10.

timelord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Action Comics is just turning into one of those just plain fun books. I am glad I picked up the last two issues Action Comics is back on my pull list.

SandMan_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By SandMan_

This issue was awesome.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

Just something i didn't understand was Superman angry because people attacked the monster or because they thought he killed it?

Avatar image for darknightspideyfanboy
    darknightspideyfanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for life_without_progress
    life_without_progress

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

@al_capown: and you should definitely read it again

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 12

Pak brings the fun again on both books.

GrenadeFlow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Its great that this book is actually good again.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

Because they wanted him to kill the monster, but he didn't, because...well...he's superman. :P

It's been so long since that happened in comics.
    From Injustice to Earth 2,MoS and Trinity war. Superman's character was really damaged.

I BELIEVE IN GREG PAK and his awesome fun he brings to the book.
    Also Kuder's art is so inspired and kinetic i love it. Perfect for n52 Supes.

reactor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@squalleon said:

Just something i didn't understand was Superman angry because people attacked the monster or because they thought he killed it?

Because they wanted him to kill the monster, but he didn't, because...well...he's superman. :P

Actually, it was because he realized that what he thought was a monster spoke when it was attacked and harmed, and thus wasn't a monster at all - it was a sapient being. Ab-so-lute-ly LOVED the ending. Touching, classic Superman right there.

Avatar image for spinningbirdcake
    spinningbirdcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Finally read this issue. Leave it to Pak to make a seemingly "Superman vs Monster" story a much deeper and interesting read.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.