SUPERMAN's First Appearance in ACTION COMICS Sells for $317,200!

Posted by No_Name_ (17403 posts) - - Show Bio

According to the Associated Press news release, the very first issue of Action Comics that featured Superman was sold for $317,200 in an internet auction today. The seller apparently had purchased the comic in the 1950's for 35 cents!
According to the buyer, the lagging American Economy contributed to the overall "great price."
There are apparently only about 100 issues of Action Comic #1's known to exist today, and they rarely (if ever) go up for sale.
While this is certainly a treasure as far as collector's are concerned; would you say it's worth the $317,200 bucks that was paid for it? Would you have paid that much for a #1 Superman?

#1 Posted by TheDrifter (26556 posts) - - Show Bio

Nice!

#2 Posted by No_Name_ (17403 posts) - - Show Bio

I believe the RESELLER purchased it in the 50's

Correction, Action comics=Superman's very first appearance. Is that better now?

#3 Posted by Nighthunter Earth-1974 (109 posts) - - Show Bio

It will probably end atleast at three times the price in 30 years when Superman turns 30

I wouldn't have paid that much mainly because I don't have the money and well it's a comic

#4 Posted by danhimself (22624 posts) - - Show Bio

so much work to get to respond to this....geesh!

that seems like a really low price for that book
#5 Posted by .Mistress Redhead. (27119 posts) - - Show Bio

o.O wowzas thats amazing!

#6 Posted by Nahero (9915 posts) - - Show Bio

yeah but i would not be the buyer but seller and if i had that issue id be stinking loaded ka-ching

#7 Posted by TwilightThunder (246 posts) - - Show Bio

They should reprint that story and let it rock the shelves once again. And they should do the same with Detective Comics #27 (god i'd kill to read the very first adventure of the batman, pulp as hell!)

#8 Posted by captainrage (249 posts) - - Show Bio

Bloody hell.. That's a lot of shoes.

#9 Posted by G-Man (36682 posts) - - Show Bio
Staff
#10 Edited by Roxanne Starr (9093 posts) - - Show Bio

Hey, Babs!

The first time I became aware that that issue of Action Comics was a valuable thing was in the early 80's. An acquaintance of mine at the time had bought a copy for $10,000 and I thought that he was nuts!

Rx

#11 Posted by the guv'nor (94 posts) - - Show Bio

it was the drummer from system of a down who bought it apparently.

#12 Posted by Static Shock (47329 posts) - - Show Bio

I think it could have been sold for more money... LOL.

#13 Posted by Lady L (311 posts) - - Show Bio

yea it could have  thats crazy smh 

#14 Posted by seb86 (6 posts) - - Show Bio

I think it is worth alot more than what they buyer paid for. He really got a bargin. The seller should of tried to get more I mean its the very fist comic when Superman is introduced and I love Superman. A copy of this should be in a Museum for all to see.

#15 Posted by neal301 (9 posts) - - Show Bio

um thats worth approximately 61-120 thousand dollars

#16 Posted by jloneblackheart (5528 posts) - - Show Bio

i think I'd rather take that money and buy the first appearance of everyone else, EVER

Moderator Online

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.