Zack Freeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 371

User Lists: 0

Edited By Zack Freeman

No Caption Provided
      Flamebird teams-up with the Justice Society to defeat an impostor of the Kryptonian god, Rao, while Nightwing struggles to free himself from the Phantom Zone

THE GOOD 
    The Captain Atom back-up feature by very well executed. It's part 10 of an extended serial, but I didn't feel lost, at all. James Robinson hooks us in an arresting teaser of Captain Atom melting on the first page and he pulls the more refined, classical speech off a lot more convincingly than the attempts in the main story. Also, Cafu renders the more painterly style of illustration better than what's attempted in the main story, too. His figures strike the right balance of the hard-lines and cartoonish style you want and expect from superhero art, while still giving it some more fine-arts-style flourish.

THE BAD
    Really, the main story is just dull. The "classic speech" narration doesn't read that convincingly. Rather than getting swept up in this story, I was thinking about how this comic was taking itself too seriously. The art never really pops off the page, too, and the painterly style of coloring really makes it look more often like it's unfinished.  All of this really stands out when put in comparison with the Captain Atom story.

THE VERDICT
    It's both a positive and negative statement about a title when its back-up feature is better than its main feature. While the story about Nightwing, Flamebird, the JSA and Rao was honestly rather dull, the Captain Atom was really well done. I'd really prefer to read a Captain Atom solo title by Robinson and Cafu instead of this.

2.5/5
    danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By danhimself

I have skipped over every single one of the Captain Atom back up stories....sooooo boring

Avatar image for secret_identity
    Secret Identity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Secret Identity

I like the art of the Captain Atom Second feature but not the story. The only bit i've enjoyed thus far is that Detective Chimp showed up. 

I did like the previous Nightwing and Flamebird stories but they haven't been as good since they stopped directly affecting the rest of the Superman story line. That said i liked the whole Rao mythos shown in the last issue. 

Green ankh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

#3  Edited By Green ankh

Action COmics has been a mainstay in my collection for 20plus years. I am ready to drop it. The past year of this book has not been good.  I wish the World of new Krypton had ran in Action and let Nightwing and Flamebird have a limited series.  AS for Captain Atom, I like him but i never got into the back story.
    ~The Wanderer~

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#4  Edited By ~The Wanderer~

Maybe it's because I'm a mythology enthusiast, but I've been liking Action Comics lately. That's just me though.

NightFang3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By NightFang3

I kanda liked this issue but thought there could have been more to it.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.