No_name_here

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By No_name_here

No Caption Provided

One of my favorite dialogues from BATMAN BEGINS was the whole exchange between Gordon and Batman about escalation at the end. Now, I’m probably not going to remember this verbatim (so don’t have a seizure if I get a word or two wrong) but it went along these lines…

“What about escalation?”

“ESCALATION?!”

“We use semi-automatic weapons, they get automatics. We wear bulletproof vests, they get armor-piercing rounds. You go around jumping off rooftops and they… well…”

No Caption Provided

And then, of course, he brings out the Joker’s playing card, thus teasing for DARK KNIGHT. I bring that quote up today because I can't help thinking that the escalation isn’t between Batman and the mob anymore, but between him in Superman. See, according to Bleeding Cool, Comicconnect.com has just acquired a copy of ACTION COMICS #1 that’s been graded 8.5 by the Certified Guarantee Company. The DETECTIVE COMICS #27 that sold for $1,075,500 a couple weeks ago had a grading of 8.0, and that 0.5 difference in grading makes all the difference in the world apparently.

No Caption Provided

You’ll recall that another copy of ACTION COMICS #1 - - which was also graded 8.0 by the CGC - - sold for a cool million a couple days before that copy of DETECTIVE sold. So, based on this precedents, it’s only logical to infer that this better-graded copy of  ACTION will sell for even more once it gets on the market, making it the highest-selling comic of all time. It’s apparently the highest-graded copy of that comic ever, anyway, and the CGC is apparently offering it to the first buyer who matches their likely-astronomic asking price.

We’ll be here, of course, to let you know how this tit-for-tat between Batman and Superman continues. In the meantime, I recommend checking out this list of the most expensive comics ever here, as I’m sure it’s going to be out of date very, very soon.

-- Tom Pinchuk is the writer of UNIMAGINABLE for Arcana Comics and HYBRID BASTARDS! for Archaia Comics.   Watch out for the HYBRID BASTARDS! hardcover collection this March - - available for pre-order now on Amazon.com.

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By gmanfromheck

Now watch this one sells for less since the two comic collectors with all the money just spent too much on those two other comics.

Lustwish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Lustwish

oh I don't know.  There are a lot of people out there with deep pockets and are able to afford this item. 

Theodore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By Theodore

I would never spend millions on a comic no matter how old it is.

goldenkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By goldenkey

If you have the money its a good investment.  Not like the foiled covers of the 90's
    Avatar image for they_killed_cap_
    They Killed Cap!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By They Killed Cap!

OVER PRICED...
    Avatar image for phantom_patriot
    Phantom Patriot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By Phantom Patriot

I can imagine that 100's of years from now, it'll really worth that price. Probably 10times more.

It's really a piece of history. I wouldn't wanna spend that much on it, but still, a lucky buy for sure.

5ive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By 5ive

if i was a multi millionaire i would spend that type of money. how often does a person get to buy a piece of american history that can then be passed down in their family

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.