inferiorego's Action Comics #901 - Reign of the Doomsdays, Part 1 review

• inferiorego wrote this review on .
  • inferiorego has written a total of 318 reviews. The last one was for

Superman is back!

Supergirl, Steel, Eradicator, Superboy, and Superman team up to fight numerous Doomsdays. After all is said and done, they come face-to-face with the Doomslayer.

The Good

First thing you'll notice is that there's a new artist on the book, Kenneth Rocafort. It's extremely detailed, vibrant, and fun. A few of the close-ups were a tad awkward, but overall, I was very impressed with his work on pages 1-10 and 18-20. Why only those pages? Well, there was a different artist at work on this issue. Rocafort's composition and panel set-up are interesting and will keep you glued to the pages. There's lots of interesting set-ups, page-wise.

I've really enjoyed Paul Cornell on this book, and it is certainly a well written issue, but the weakest of his run on the series. The dialogue works very well, and the pacing is great, but the story just wasn't my favorite.

The Bad

I really miss Lex Luthor being the star of this book. It's the first time Superman has been a part of this series in almost a year, and there is one, huge, gaping problem. While this is part one of a new story, it takes place in the middle of another story arc that's been going on for months. So not only has the book had a drastic change in the past two months, but instead of starting a completely new arc, this issue delves into a story which you has already been going on for months in random other books. Seems a bit unfair to Action Comics readers.

I'm not digging the story, probably because I'm pretty lost, even though I read Action Comics ever since Cornell started writing it. Sure issue 900 set this story up, but it didn't do it good enough for the average reader. I'm not a fan of Doomsday, and a character I really enjoyed got killed off. That's two characters I like that have been killed off this week. In addition, I cannot stand it when art changes throughout the book. Pages 11-17 are drawn by Jesus Merino, and I was not a fan. It was very bland.

It's no secret that I'm not the biggest Superman fan, but I was a HUGE fan of Action when Lex took over. I tried my best to give Superman a shot, with Cornell writing, and I really didn't like it. The problem wasn't the characters. The problem was that this new story starts in the middle of another one, which previous parts took place in other books. For me, I'm going to sit this story out and give Action Comics one more chance when this Doomsday story is over, and I'll say the same to everyone else in my situation. If you've been keeping up with this story, you'll love it. Cornell and Rocafort are a great team, and while it sucks that there's a different artist in the middle of the book, Rocafort's art really holds the rest of the book together.

Posted by Kallarkz
Did you happen to know if Superman is back to stay in Action Comics?
Posted by fenixREVOLUTION

I don't usually read Action Comics, but after picking up #900, I figured I'd give this a go and I just couldn't get into. I was in your boat, I really have no idea what is going on, but even then, the story just seems kind of dull. The artists change halfway through didn't bother me very much, I enjoyed both artists work here, that was the best part of the book for me.

Posted by hitechlolife

You pretty much spelled out how I felt about the book. To be honest I thought Cornell struggled to find Superman's voice, especially the thought bubble sequences. The heroic banter just seemed really on the nose.

Posted by entropy_aegis

The node is still bothering me a lot.

Posted by Kal'smahboi

I haven't picked this up yet but I feel like I need it. I need a Superman story outside of "Grounded." Hopefully I have a better time getting into it than you.

Posted by Primmaster64

It was ok...Still better than Grounded I'll say.

Posted by CombatSpoon86

I sat this arc out, not a big doomsday fan plus when i was flipping through the book, it looks boring to me, plus Pete Woods is no longer on the book, thats 3 strikes for me to sit this story out

Posted by Kal'smahboi

I liked this book a lot and I feel like I didn't miss much by having not read the separate "Reign of Doomsday" books. I loved the art, I think Doomslayer looks bad@$$ and I loved Obama's appearance. I'm going to continue this one.

Posted by Kal'smahboi

Actually, the thing I hated the most was the Green Lantern promo at the top of the cover. We're not the audience that DC needs to be reaching out to. We know this movie's coming.

Posted by Primmaster64
@Kal'smahboi: :D
Posted by PandaBear

solid reviewing ... keep it up!