delphic's Action Comics #4 - Superman and the Men of Steel; Hearts of Steel review

Connect the Dots Here

I found myself liking this issue decently enough. In this issue we get our debut of Steel, and a first glimpse of what is obviously Braniac. Most of the story involves Superman having trouble holding out against a mob off robots as well as the possessed John Corben, and Steel makes his big debut in the new 52 by helping Superman in the fight. There was one thing I did not like about this issue and that was with its style of storytelling. Right when Steel makes his debut to fight against the mind controlled John Corben, it says in a caption “See in the Interlude at the end to see how this fight ends”, and right after that it skips ahead past Steel’s involvement. It would have been much better if they just integrated the Steel interlude into the story rather than keeping it separate, and it was really just a pointless maneuver. So far, Action Comics still seems to be the better of the Superman titles and with this issue if you can get past Morrison’s unique story formatting it can be a pretty good Superman story, but if you’re not used to it you might have some problems.