sqreview's Action Comics #3 - World Against Superman review

• sqreview wrote this review on .
  • sqreview has written a total of 148 reviews. The last one was for

Men of Steel

Clark Kent is having strange dreams about a world he doesn't remember and a threat he doesn't understand. Meanwhile, the police are on his tail, the world is rallying against Superman with the new evidence that he may be an alien invader, and someone is giving Clark information from the shadows about a ghost and a white dog. As the same threat that destroyed Kandor moves in on Earth, Superman will have to stand against the world and its villains, as well as an army of men made of steel.

Written by Grant Morrison and drawn by Rags Morales, Action Comics #3 was a great addition to the new Superman mythology that is being built in the New 52. I've never been a huge fan of Superman, but Morrison has always been able to deliver him in a light that I find engaging, relevant, and powerful. That being said, this is a really good issue, but not the best. There are times that it's a little uneven, a little choppy, but it still kept my attention and made me want to read the next page. You can't be at a 100 percent all the time, but if this is as bad as it can get than it's still pretty incredible.

Morales' art seems a little forced in this issue. I'm not sure if it's because of deadlines or because he wanted to have the feeling of movement conveyed through the whole story. The scenes on Krypton were fantastic, though. I loved the depiction of the Hollywood-esque party on another planet. It also depicts Jor-El as a bit more of a warrior, and we even get to see the "white dog" that must have been referenced later in the issue.

I'm still going to give this issue of Action Comics a 4/5 for being part of a great ongoing series and new take on the young adventures of the Man of Steel, but it doesn't get a perfect rating because it's a bit rough around the edges. That being said, I do like this new rough and tumble young Superman.