Follow

Academy X

Team » Academy X appears in 272 issues.

As a result of M-day, only 27 of the 182 students enrolled at the Xavier Institute for Higher Learning still retained their powers. In response to the increasingly desperate situation that mutants now faced, Emma Frost disbanded all the former training squads (most of which had lost much of their membership to the Decimation) and integrated those students she deemed capable of combat.

The New X-men get no strip time - Any suggested readings?

lupsided

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By lupsided

The New X-men series was definitely one of - if not my favorite series from X-men. After Messiah Complex, and Second Coming, they slowly started to fall out, a few would get some team slots like x-23, Pixie, and Elixir. But now I don't even see them.

I was really behind on comics after AVX and just now started to catch back up, I read Wolverine and the X-men in the hopes I would see more of them. I'm on the third volume and so far it's just been about these new students that as a whole, are pretty lame in my opinion. Idie/Quentin are okay, and the rest just annoy the shit out of me.

I haven't read any X-force since like...May/June..do Elixir/X-23 come back to that at all? Any other suggested readings that will help? Gah. What about Surge, Mercury and Hellion? We NEVER see them.

On a side note, I'm reading Avengers Arena, and it's pretty good, I definitely would suggest it to anyone who liked New X-men.

Avatar image for raggedscarecrow
    RaggedScarecrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By RaggedScarecrow

@lupsided: New X-Men was my gateway book into comics so I always keep an eye out for those kids. Having said that, the team is mostly just wallpaper in Aaron's WatXM. As for the individual kids, Elixir and Surge are M.I.A. (I think they're wallpaper the JGS but I'm not certain), Hellion is the JGS's resident bully, Pixie pops up in teen-centric minis now and again, Prodigy is appearing in the current volume of Young Avengers (ending at issue 15), and Anole, Dust, and Rockslide are also wallpaper at the JGS. Oh and X-23, who just got out of Murder World, is now appearing in Bendis' All New X-Men.

As for recommendations, well, like I said the team's pretty much wallpaper these days. They appear in some of the Avengers Academy AvX tie-ins and the last arc of Young Avengers, but I can't say that the New X-Men were super important to the story. Pixie and Hellion get some play in Wood's first arc of X-Men (volume 4 IIRC) and X-23 is going to be a major cast member of post-Battle of the Atom All New X-Men.

I've heard some rumours that in the last issue of Wolverine and the X-Men (42 I think) the New X-Men will be playing an important role and there's some speculation that Hellion will be joining Magneto's All New Acolytes in his solo series, Magneto, but those are unsubstantiated.

lupsided

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@raggedscarecrow: Hey, thanks for the suggestions, I'll have to look into that Hellion rumor. I just don't understand why they feel the need to keep creating new characters instead of developing the ones they have. Also, I know that the timeline in the marvel universe is unpredictable, but the new x-men should be finishing school soon, if not already.

One thing the Academy X team has over a lot of other characters is how brutal their childhood was. Like, most x-men never killed until adulthood, almost all the Academy X members were forced to kill someone at one point or another. Not to mention getting sent to Hell/Limbo that felt like years to them, that has to do some serious psychological damage. THEN their was X-Force for X-23/Elixir, Hellion losing his hands, Mercury getting tortured, Dust's scene from "Young X-men" where she goes back to her home country and starts killing men who are criminals/pillagers/terrorists, ect ect. My point is their is a lot of untapped character development that would make amazing comics.

I could totally see a new series introduced that focuses around them, sort of like how they re-launched new mutants, I absolutely loved seeing and reading Warlock/Cypher's character uncloaked. The way he talked, and analyzed, it was great. Anyways, I mean, of course a die-hard New X-men fan is going to argue that they have potential character development, but they also have a history of taking things into their own hands, and they haven't really picked sides between Wolverine/Cyclops (although I'm not 100 percent caught up). I see them at the school, but I honestly don't think that's where they would want to be. Taking into account all the shit they have seen, I think they would want to be apart of the mutant revolution - and for those who don't want to fight (Anole/Prodigy), they would go out of loyalty.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.