inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

#1  Edited By inferiorego  Staff

The Good

What a cool idea for a story! Brief synopsis: 17 years ago a crystal came to Earth, in the center of Golden Gate Park in San Francisco, and started glowing. Every woman who was pregnant gave birth, no matter how far along they were, and all the babies survived. All those children (except for Tommy Watts, whose brother died fighting The Quarterback) gained super powers. Now, they all compete on the television show America's Got Super Powers.

America's obsession with competition reality shows and super-heroes clash in one book and it was a ton of fun. This book is accessible to any reader simply because it's so familiar, no matter who you are. It's something we haven't seen in comics before to this magnitude, so it's a fresh new look at a way to do a super-hero book.

The hosts of the America's Got Super Powers are dead on. I'm no expert on reality shows, but I love the cornball dialogue these characters say with a big dumb grin on their faces: "OOOF! That's gotta hurt!" It's little things like this that add a new dynamic to the book.

I loved the main character of this issue, Tommy Watts. He doesn't have any powers, and although he works for the company that produces the television show, he stands for all the right things, and he's willing to go the distance to help out the little guy. There's a bit of a twist towards the end that sets up the what the rest of this series will be about, but it's still really cool and a bit unexpected.

Bryan Hitch's work on this issue is fantastic. I've always been a fan, and his art is really showcased in this book. It's larger than life, and I love seeing his action sequences. I love how characters break through panels and overlap others.

One thing that really caught my eye, with Hitch's art is how characters' bodies react when being hit or in the middle of action. Most of the time, when a character gets hit, it looks rigid and awkward, but Hitch has done a great job at making movement and the posing of the body look very natural.

Believe it or not, I'm glad this is only a 6 issue series. I can't see this being an on-going book because the story focuses so much on the aspect of super heroes and reality television.

The Bad

Nothing here.

The Verdict

What a great start to a mini-series! I loved the idea of reality television and super heroes as a comic book, and I think 6 issues is the perfect amount for it. I loved the dialogue from the hosts of the show, and because of this, it really feels like something you'd see on primetime.

I was a big fan of the main character, Tommy Watts, and I enjoyed every aspect about the character. Bryan Hitch's artwork is great on this issue and aside from the beautiful composition, I loved how Hitch showed movement and body poses with the pages.

Overall, you have to check this book out. It's another home run from Image. What a great concept.

Hot_Karl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Hot_Karl

Sounds like a neat idea, but it has an absolutely horrible title, like a bad pun you'd find on a Disney Channel show or something.

Avatar image for capelesscrusader
    capelesscrusader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#3  Edited By capelesscrusader

VinceNotVance:

The title is, I think, intentionally tongue-in-cheek. It pokes fun at such shows as "American Idol" and is an almost straight-up rip-off of "America's Got Talent".

Honestly, given how unimaginative most corporate boardrooms are, this is probably precisely the title that a show like this would have.

gethere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By gethere

I loved this comic! I have got read the rest when they come out.

Hot_Karl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Hot_Karl

@capelesscrusader: I'm sure it's intentional, but names for dumb/fake entertainment either have to be subtly realistic (like Smash TV or M.I.L.F. Island- you wouldn't be surprised if you heard of one of these shows on the air in the future) or completely ridiculous & stupid (like Titanic 2- so stupid that it's hilarious). "America's Got Powers" is just lazy, neither realistic or dumb enough to be funny.

guyver 0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By guyver 0

Does it wierd anyone else out that Jonathan Ross is writing comics....

Bobzenub

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By Bobzenub

@guyver 0: And this well? I mean, holly sh&t, this was one of the best starter issues I've read for a long time now.

Mediumflyer7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#8  Edited By Mediumflyer7

@guyver 0: So it is him!!! Yeah it is but it was a brilliant comic

BatteredArmor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By BatteredArmor

@VinceNotVance said:

Sounds like a neat idea, but it has an absolutely horrible title, like a bad pun you'd find on a Disney Channel show or something.

TexasTyler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By TexasTyler

I really liked this issue, i was kinda expecting the main character doing something out there but not on that scale. So this fans belly is appetized.

longbowhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By longbowhunter

I almost picked this up just due to how much comic you got for your dollar. Hope all 6 issues are good and I can pick it up in trade.

BatMark_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By BatMark_

Can't wait to pick this up, been looking forward to reading it for a while.

Also, Jonathan Ross and Bryan Hitch are coming to Dublin to sign issues of this so there's that to look forward to next week as well..

deadpool25mm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By deadpool25mm

Maybe ill pick this up next week.

yotaman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By yotaman

enjoyed all most everything... despise the main character.

vicioushero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By vicioushero

@inferiorego: Tommy's brother is not the Quarterback. His brother was Bobby Watts, who seemingly died fighting Quarterback.

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By inferiorego  Staff

@vicioushero said:

@inferiorego: Tommy's brother is not the Quarterback. His brother was Bobby Watts, who seemingly died fighting Quarterback.

yep.... i totally screwed up!

vicioushero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By vicioushero

@inferiorego: No biggie, busy man and all. Good review none the less, couldn't recommend this mini more.

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By inferiorego  Staff

@vicioushero: thanks for the head's up

Notathug78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#19  Edited By Notathug78

The concept makes me think of the "Tiger & Bunny" anime but this is something different, plus Bryan Hitch art work can make me want to buy a book.

DarkChris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#20  Edited By DarkChris

I don't believe it's that good. The story and the art were ok, the characters were cool and as I was reading the issue, I was sure how it would end.

laussica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#21  Edited By laussica

loved this issue, it was a great start to the series, i went to my comic shop and they had so many copies left which is odd for a 1st issue of a image series, really hoping it does well though. Comicvine should have a comic of the week or an editors choice award each week for the comic thats the best each week.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.